Best way to shoot this shot

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So my next question is does table size change your shot selection? I tried going forward with high inside and kept scratching in the corner or not getting to the top rail, this was on the bar box. On a bigger table I think hitting the top rail first would be easier?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
So my next question is does table size change your shot selection? I tried going forward with high inside and kept scratching in the corner or not getting to the top rail, this was on the bar box. On a bigger table I think hitting the top rail first would be easier?

Definitely. A wider table gives the cb more time and distance to bend forward with top or pull back with draw.
On a lot of shots the cb slides a few inches before the top or draw kicks in. This is when an extra few inches of table space can make a big difference.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Definitely. A wider table gives the cb more time and distance to bend forward with top or pull back with draw.
On a lot of shots the cb slides a few inches before the top or draw kicks in. This is when an extra few inches of table space can make a big difference.
The ball positions and angles are identical (since the tables are the same 1x2 proportions) - and "bending forward" happens almost immediately. You're right in principle, but I think the difference must be small.

pj
chgo

Attachments

• table sizes compared.jpg
    table sizes compared.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The ball positions and angles are identical (since the tables are the same 1x2 proportions) - and "bending forward" happens almost immediately. You're right in principle, but I think the difference must be small.

pj
chgo

It's not immediate. On some shots yes, others no. You can watch the cb bend forward or backward in a long arc, or sometimes it'll move a good foot or more along the tangent line before suddenly grabbing hold and changing directions. You know....depending on speed, spin, shot angle, etc. In this particular shot you're right.... I'm not sure there'd be much difference because it isn't struck very hard. But on the inside draw shot having an extra inches could mean hitting that side rail a couple of inches higher at a better angle.

Cool diagram by the way. Is that an app or computer software?

Last edited:

Doctor_J

Registered
I would try very low, minimal outside English. I don't like outside spin when the object ball is on the rail unless I am trying to dampen the run-out. But I'm APA so take with some salt.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would try very low, minimal outside English. I don't like outside spin when the object ball is on the rail unless I am trying to dampen the run-out. But I'm APA so take with some salt.

"Very low, minimal outside English" is a great way to scratch in the side pocket. It takes all the low I've got to not scratch and get great shape. https://youtu.be/w_bQPNEJ8po

][cee

Registered
"Very low, minimal outside English" is a great way to scratch in the side pocket. It takes all the low I've got to not scratch and get great shape. https://youtu.be/w_bQPNEJ8po
Test Table 8' Blue Diamond (Pro-Cut, fresh RKC set-up)

Inside English Top or Side 1-10
I thought I would prefer this shot and started with it. I varied the amount of rail first or split hit and center inside to top inside. I was only able to find the short rail one time, which gave me good shape.

Outside English with Draw 7-10
To my surprise, this shot worked well. I only missed twice (shape on both) and scratched in the side once.

Safety Option 10-10
Shooting straight in the face, all of my attempts worked well with cue and OB on opposite short rails.

Fred
Schon lover
JBCase on order

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting. I did a one rail bank but it requires lots of inside English. Possible, yes.

I need to see this. I'd bet against Brumback to do it.

To verify we are talking the same shot, the OB is exactly on the second diamond, frozen to cushion, and the CB is exactly on the center spot of the table.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the first shot in that vid, high right, with feeling, and got straight in on the 8 first time, every time. Don't know what I was hitting first - I shoot those kinds of shots with instinct - but ball speed was medium, with a good stroke through. CB pretty much followed the path in diagram #1.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bank this shot with low inside...drawing to my position on the next ball...being on the rail you can be really precise in your bank shot aiming. **** UPDATE**** I was way wrong lmao...could make the bank pretty reliable, but only got shape once...and I think that was an accident...just FYI

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a one rail bank shot. Takes lots of inside English to avoid the double kiss. Shape is horrible but iusedtoberich wanted to see a bank.

https://youtu.be/Hw07GXzB81w

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Praire: I can’t believe you made that bank. Even after watching your video. I tip my hat to you, I was wrong. Nice shot.

I will try it again on my table.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
wwyd

OK, I had to try it.

When I set it up it looked like center inside ball first hit all the way. I tried this first and made 7/10. Out of my failed attempts I pocketed the ball 2/3 and simply caught rail first, so I would've been left with a difficult two way shot. I will add that I made the last 5 in a row, so once I got the feel for the shot it seemed pretty comfortable.

Low outside didn't feel right to me. One note, I have a diamond table and it may not be as easy for me to get long as it would be if I were on a gold crown with spongier rails. As it was I made it 6/10. The failed attempts were two misses and two scratches in the side. But even out of the 6 that I made, several just barely cleared the side pocket, and one nearly scratched in the top right corner off the second rail. I can't believe this is the right shot.

The safety is pretty good, but I don't think I could pass on the center inside shot. Most likely if I dog it I'll only dog my shape and I'll have a free whack at something anyway. And if I play safe there is no guarantee I'll get back to the table with a 70% shot, or even get back to the table at all.

I'd bet I can win 80%+ from there with center inside.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just tried the bank as I had to match Praire;)

Inside only, I must have shot it 30 times, and did not get close once.
Inside high, I tried it 10 times, nothing close.
Then I tried it low inside, and made it on the first attempt! ha ha.
Then I tried it low inside 15 more times, and only came close twice, and no pocketing again.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

At least I made it once, so I know its possible on my table. Now, do I torture myself and keep trying it? ha ha.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just tried the bank as I had to match Praire;)

Inside only, I must have shot it 30 times, and did not get close once.
Inside high, I tried it 10 times, nothing close.
Then I tried it low inside, and made it on the first attempt! ha ha.
Then I tried it low inside 15 more times, and only came close twice, and no pocketing again.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

At least I made it once, so I know its possible on my table. Now, do I torture myself and keep trying it? ha ha.
I think the shot depends a lot on the cushions. Your cushions are not like his.

When you missed was it often because of a kiss? Did you ever miss short?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the shot depends a lot on the cushions. Your cushions are not like his.

When you missed was it often because of a kiss? Did you ever miss short?

Never missed short once. If I avoided the double kiss, the miss would usually be a diamond away from the target. Aiming just a hair fuller, and I'd get the kiss. There must be a super fine line between pocketing the ball and the kiss.

Adding low the misses were definitely closer to the pocket than with only inside. That surprised me. But banks are funny:)

I'm on a GC4, never in a pool room, original cushions, original Brunswick pocket size, 6 year old 860. I know Praire's table has been reworked by Gregory, I think it has super speed cushions and re-cut rail bevels? Praire, what would you estimate your make percentage of the bank if you shot it 10 times?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Adding low the misses were definitely closer to the pocket than with only inside. That surprised me. But banks are funny:)
With the OB frozen to the rail the CB doesn't have time to draw back much (if any) before the OB rebounds into it, so a stop shot should be the max amount of draw that actually helps - and it's the amount that maximizes throw, so that helps a lot.

pj
chgo