cue sliding on the rail or your fingers on close rail shots?

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it seems like when I slide the cue on the rail on close rail shots, sometimes I get a mis hit.
do most shooters on a close rail shot rest the cue on the Felt of the rail, or on top of there fingers??

silly question, but it seems more comfortable to slide of the felt of the rail, but I will get mis hits. on top of the fingers seems less stable.

thanks for any info. judo

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Do you mean when the CB is resting against the rail?

If so this is an example of a shot where I focus on the tip and CB with my eyes through the final stroke.

If there is room on the rail to slide the shaft on the rail, I will do so, if not, I use an open handed bridge further back on the rail.

You have to do what is comfortable and stable. Some table rails are wider than others, which means depending on the equipment you have to adjust.

it seems like when I slide the cue on the rail on close rail shots, sometimes I get a mis hit.
do most shooters on a close rail shot rest the cue on the Felt of the rail, or on top of there fingers??

silly question, but it seems more comfortable to slide of the felt of the rail, but I will get mis hits. on top of the fingers seems less stable.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Unless there is a very good reason to do something else, you want the cue stick as level as possible on all shots. If the cue ball is close to the cushion, satisfying that rule of thumb will require the cue stick to be touching the rail or cushion.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Learn the bunny ear/peace sign lol tuck the thumb into the hand and make a peace sign with index and middle and put it on the shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro