How to build the most basic lathe just for cleaning shafts, & how much would it cost?

How to build the most basic lathe just for cleaning shafts, & how much would it cost?

I am very interested in buying the parts for the most simple type of pool cue lathe, that could just be used for cleaning shafts.

Can anyone tell me what are all of the parts that I would need, and the costs involved, and how complicated the setup would be for a person like me who has never used or set up a cue shaft lathe before?

I would really like to do this, because getting my shaft deep cleaned costs $20 locally, and if I could do it myself when ever I wanted to, then that would be great.

I am just needing to find out what all I would need, and how much the combined costs would be (including the materials needed to actually clean and re seal a shaft just like a pro would do it).

I really want just the most basic set up for now, and maybe in the future I could possibly add to that basic set up to maybe learn to re tip the shafts too.

Thanks a lot for any help.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very interested in buying the parts for the most simple type of pool cue lathe, that could just be used for cleaning shafts.

Can anyone tell me what are all of the parts that I would need, and the costs involved, and how complicated the setup would be for a person like me who has never used or set up a cue shaft lathe before?

I would really like to do this, because getting my shaft deep cleaned costs $20 locally, and if I could do it myself when ever I wanted to, then that would be great.

I am just needing to find out what all I would need, and how much the combined costs would be (including the materials needed to actually clean and re seal a shaft just like a pro would do it).

I really want just the most basic set up for now, and maybe in the future I could possibly add to that basic set up to maybe learn to re tip the shafts too.

There are a few options. You would do well to search youtube for
"clean a pool cue shaft". You will find some options that describe how to do it by hand,
Tho I would doubt you can achieve your stated "like a pro" results that way.

Anything that involves a motor will cost a couple hundred dollars give or take.
All the cleaning materials and supplies could add another $50 or so.

Feel free to PM me if you want details/advice.

Dale

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I can't speak for the quality, but it looks like it would work for cleaning or changing a tip.

Thats good, cause that one that you linked to is the same as what Cowboy Billiards sells.

It's just clamped to a table. The amount of pressure that you exert on a shaft while cleaning it, will knock it out of alignment in short order. Your shaft might be flip flopping all over.

Then, after yer finished wrecking your shaft, you will be able to pay a repairman to fix it for you.

Sure, you could solid mount it to a board, but honestly, every person who purchased one of these, wished that they hadn't.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can buy the piece that goes into the shaft and the other end goes into a drill. About $30.

Thanks for the added info. Well, I do not want a setup that would be risky. Would like a very solid setup, so that I would not have any worries about something like you described happening.

Thats good, cause that one that you linked to is the same as what Cowboy Billiards sells.

It's just clamped to a table. The amount of pressure that you exert on a shaft while cleaning it, will knock it out of alignment in short order. Your shaft might be flip flopping all over.

Then, after yer finished wrecking your shaft, you will be able to pay a repairman to fix it for you.

Sure, you could solid mount it to a board, but honestly, every person who purchased one of these, wished that they hadn't.

Thanks for the info, and thanks for your offer on more help by PM if wanted.

There are a few options. You would do well to search youtube for
"clean a pool cue shaft". You will find some options that describe how to do it by hand,
Tho I would doubt you can achieve your stated "like a pro" results that way.

Anything that involves a motor will cost a couple hundred dollars give or take.
All the cleaning materials and supplies could add another $50 or so.

Feel free to PM me if you want details/advice.

Dale

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Thanks for the added info. Well, I do not want a setup that would be risky. Would like a very solid setup, so that I would not have any worries about something like you described happening.

Buy a used lathe then. Check Craigslist. Check local equipment auctions.

You can find some monsters for a RIDICULOUS bargain.

Pay a tool guy to come tune it up for you. Don't skimp and you can be

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy a used lathe then. Check Craigslist. Check local equipment auctions.

You can find some monsters for a RIDICULOUS bargain.

Pay a tool guy to come tune it up for you. Don't skimp and you can be

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Buy a used lathe then"

?????????????????????????????

Which part of -

'I just want to clean my shaft'

is too hard to understand?

Dale(who thinks reading is handy)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

A lathe for the most basic setup for shaft cleaning? You should "ask the cuemaker" section, but a wood lathe is the most basic safe setup for shaft cleaning and sanding, IMO.

Freddie <~~~ not a cue mechanic

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Buy a used lathe then"

?????????????????????????????

Which part of -

'I just want to clean my shaft'

is too hard to understand?

Dale(who thinks reading is handy)

"I just want to clean my shaft but don't want some risky solution"

I have seen lathes go locally at auction for less than $100. That's about as much as some of the goofball solutions I have seen for sale.

Pay $100 for an hour of machinist help getting it to run reasonably true and you're all set for cleaning

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I bought that setup on ebay and added some materials I got at home depot. A few pieces of hardwood, a few lengths of bar steel to act as slides and some clear plastic tubing that serves well as a collet to protect the shaft area that rides on the wheels from damage. I welded up a homemade rest out of some angle iron and a turnbuckle bolt with a nut.

I also set up a variable speed rheostat and foot pedal which makes it easier to control.

Actually when you want to clean up a shaft with some fine paper, as I often do, you don't even have to use the front wheels. Just cradle the front of the shaft in your hand if you like.

I've been using this with complete success replacing tips, retapering and cleaning shafts for over 3 years with no problems. I think with all the extras it cost about $150 in total. Maybe a little less.

Attachments

• lathesc.jpg
    lathesc.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 924

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you only want to clean the shaft. I know where your problem is.

If you have a custom shaft, did the cuemaker seal the shaft properly?
If you have a production shaft, do you sand/burnish/clean you shaft regularly?

There are many people who take coarse sandpaper to their shafts, ruining their shafts, and don't seal the shaft. I play with a production shaft that is still the same as it was from the factory. The only thing that I do, is wipe down the shaft every now and then with Cuesilk. I follow the directions for Cuesilk, burnishing the shaft with a cloth, then burnish with a square of leather. My shaft stays clean and smooth.

If the shaft is properly sealed and is smooth to the touch, then any dirt will build up ON TOP. Sanding will grind away at the shaft, removing dirt AND wood. I cringe every time someone pulls out sandpaper to take care of a "sticky" shaft.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
A lathe for the most basic setup for shaft cleaning? You should "ask the cuemaker" section, but a wood lathe is the most basic safe setup for shaft cleaning and sanding, IMO.

Freddie <~~~ not a cue mechanic

I agree, considering that you need only the most basic setup and used wood lathes can go very cheeeeep. You may have to look for a while but older wood lathes can almost be a liability to some, and you can often pick one up for a few $10s. It may take another $25 for the right centers.

Dave

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
There's a youtube video of a guy that had put together a very basic set up with a drill and a pillow block bearing. I think he also had a couple of collets and a drive arbor. That looked like it would fine for cleaning. A drill from Harbor Freight and the parts couldn't have cost more that $40 or $50. I think there was another guy that built one with a drill and legos. A word of warning though, after trying to come up with a cheaper way to build my own, several hundred dollars later I finally broke down and bought a cue lathe. I have met lots of people that thought they just wanted something they could clean a shaft with, a couple of months later they were looking for a way to expand to doing tips, then wraps, then tips and ferrules....
Mine, and the additions I have since made has been one of the best investments I have ever made.
get my point?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I just want to clean my shaft but don't want some risky solution"

I have seen lathes go locally at auction for less than $100. That's about as much as some of the goofball solutions I have seen for sale.

Pay $100 for an hour of machinist help getting it to run reasonably true and you're all set for cleaning

So, based on what he said in his posts - how could anybody ever think he should
start with a used metal lathe.

Here's a hint HE ain't YOU, or even me.

Dale(who ain't him)

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought that setup on ebay and added some materials I got at home depot. A few pieces of hardwood, a few lengths of bar steel to act as slides and some clear plastic tubing that serves well as a collet to protect the shaft area that rides on the wheels from damage. I welded up a homemade rest out of some angle iron and a turnbuckle bolt with a nut.

I also set up a variable speed rheostat and foot pedal which makes it easier to control.

Actually when you want to clean up a shaft with some fine paper, as I often do, you don't even have to use the front wheels. Just cradle the front of the shaft in your hand if you like.

I've been using this with complete success replacing tips, retapering and cleaning shafts for over 3 years with no problems. I think with all the extras it cost about $150 in total. Maybe a little less.

I admire your ingenuity, but anyone as handy as you must be, doesn't need
the gadgets from fleabay - I would think.

Dale(handy in mind only)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Instead of asking the cheapest way to do it. It might be better to ask "What is the best way to set up a cleaning system for shafts for a budget under $____." You fill in the blank and you will probably get the right answer for your needs.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search on this website for electric drill lathe. Just takes an electric drill (which you may have or buy one from Harbor Freight for 10 bucks) and a cane tip from Walgreen's for another two bucks and you have a very basic shaft turner. That's how I started about 6 years ago. Used it for about 2 or 3 years until I bought a Harbor Freight lathe from a neighbor. His uncle died and he wanted to get rid of the lathe. I got it for $75. Good luck in your quest.