1973 14.1 final Lou Butera vs. Masaru Hanatani

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the traditional players were too conservative. It seemed to me that they would pass up a 60% shot to get into a safety battle that might only be 50-50. Shoot the 60% shot if it leads to a continuation of the run. The safe is indicated instead if it is almost guaranteed to lead to the first open shot. Then Luther takes the third foul on you, breaks perfectly and you are stuck on the end rail with no shot and no safe, knowing that if you leave an edge sticking out Luther is going to make it.:grin:

The really straight shooters today who also play 14.1 don't see many shots that they consider 60%- exactly why they go for many shots that continue their runs- the exact situations that the "old timers" went instead for a safety battle- even with the more forgiving tables of yesteryear- conservative play dominated a lot of 14.1- Mosconi dominated because he ran so many balls all the time that guys had trouble even getting him into a safety battle. He ran so many due to his superb pattern play and 14.1 instincts.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the traditional players were too conservative. It seemed to me that they would pass up a 60% shot to get into a safety battle that might only be 50-50. Shoot the 60% shot if it leads to a continuation of the run. The safe is indicated instead if it is almost guaranteed to lead to the first open shot. Then Luther takes the third foul on you, breaks perfectly and you are stuck on the end rail with no shot and no safe, knowing that if you leave an edge sticking out Luther is going to make it.:grin:

The old time players were conservative by today's standards.
I learned 14.1 during that era(yeah I'm old)and thats the way we played.
Safe safe safe until you either trapped the other guy or he made a mistake.

When I started to really learn one pocket I realized that my 14.1 safe skills came in handy at times.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old time players were conservative by today's standards.
I learned 14.1 during that era(yeah I'm old)and thats the way we played.
Safe safe safe until you either trapped the other guy or he made a mistake.

When I started to really learn one pocket I realized that my 14.1 safe skills came in handy at times.

I remember learning 14.1 that way too! Really good players liked to leave a ball to the right or left of the stack and the cue ball at a fairly steep angle way up near the top rail. They loved to tempt weaker players to shoot the shot- usually a miss- then have an open rack to go to town. When learning 14.1 ; most of us lost many a match taking that bait; until we either made that shot consistently or returned the bait with a great return safe!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We do indeed. Previous break shot was also an example of how slow the table was.

https://youtu.be/GkoXfbhga_4?t=1757

29:17

Contrast that with modern conditions.

https://youtu.be/U--hXVw4q2A?t=17914

4:58:44

The room in Japan is literally packed with people on top of each other- perhaps not even a time of year with air conditioning- completely different playing conditions - I also doubt that the rack system the Japanese were using- was able to get the racks totally frozen. It has nothing to do with rails as the cue ball is going directly into the stack. Probably the humidity and lack of a frozen rack much more than blaming the table itself.