Accu-Rack or Magic Rack?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which, and why?

Also, Im lazy. Which is less likely to interfere with shots if left on the table?

Accu rack, made of material that is more similar to the cloth. Also can be ironed flat if creased or bent upwards. It will serve you well for years.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I like the Accu-Rack. It gives you a good rack, but it also seems like the wing ball isn't as wired as the Magic Rack. You still have to hit it good. Plus it definitely works better for well-used and worn out balls.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with accu rack. I have both. My magic racks have creased over time. My accu rack is the older version and works very well.

The Piper

Get Ugly...
Silver Member
This is going to come across as a biased question.

But when did it become okay to play with a foreign object on the pool table? Seriously, I can't stand those racks. Bust the balls open and you watch the slow rollers start shifting directions etc.

I can't be the only one who thinks that playing with this are affecting the game?:confused:

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
Accu-rack hands down no question. The only reason to use a magic rack is to pattern rack the ghost, guarantee a wing ball and probably more and then make yourself look good running out.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't used the Accu-rack yet, but if all they're both doing is freezing the balls in a good diamond, how does the wing ball go on the magic rack but not go on the accu-rack? Is it something about how the material gives differently?

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheap chinese - 6 pieces for 7EUR incl. shipping!
Works with worn balls (special cut outs), cheap and thin as hell. Lasts a bit if treated right (no folding and no ironing). The break will be very precise.

After all, it's just a piece of plastic. Don't pay premium where there's none!
Cheers,
M

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I prefer the AccuRack. Although it feels thinner is actually thicker (I measured them with my digital calipers). The material makes it feel thinner and I think it has a bit of a beveled edge whereas the MagicRack is a straight 90-degree edge.

The only downside of the AccuRack (in 9-ball) is that the "center space" for the 9-ball is smaller so you have to be more careful when you remove it if there's a ball inside the rack. It's not difficult; it's just not as easy to remove as the MagicRack with its larger center area.

The only other advantage of the MagicRack is that it immediately lies flat when you remove it from a tube (I keep both of them in the same plastic sleeve and plastic tube). The AccuRack will curl a little bit for the first few racks. My solution has been to roll the sleeve in different directions each time I put it back in the tube. Minor issue.

The AccuRack does a better job in bad conditions (balls, cloth, etc) but they both work.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member

But when did it become okay to play with a foreign object on the pool table? Seriously, I can't stand those racks. Bust the balls open and you watch the slow rollers start shifting directions etc.

I can't be the only one who thinks that playing with this are affecting the game?:confused:

On the one hand you have a foreign object on the table that provides a consistent, repeatable rack experience that is fair to both players. More or less. Once in awhile, albeit rarely, a slow roller might be affected.

On the other hand, you have no foreign object on the table. A lot of disputes and complaints over inconsistent or gaffed racks (intentionally or otherwise), racks that differ from one rack to the next or for each player... and in some cases a slow roller might still be affected by divots that got into the felt when people tapped balls during the normal racking process (this is more rare I admit).

Pick your poison :grin-square:

When I asked which interfered less, I meant for when I am practicing at home.

Although I have seen SVB leave them down the entire rack without needing too, and shooting a 9 ball over it in a tournament. He could have easily removed it, but didnt seem to care.

Also, I know the accurack guys are on the forum, anyone from magic rack here?

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
When I asked which interfered less, I meant for when I am practicing at home.

If your goal is to leave it on the table while shooting balls, the magic rack will interfere less.

On the other hand the knockout/counterfeit magic racks from china are thinner and will interfere more, in my experience. Reason being, sometimes (I guess because they are so thin) they coil up when a ball runs over them.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Affecting the game? Maybe. How far do we have to take the whole racking question? Isn't rack-your-own good enough?

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One place here in Wichita used the Magic Rack for a while for their 9 ball challenge matches. Some didn't like the pattern racking like mentioned above and also they didn't hold up well - the plastic (or whatever they were made of) would split or crack. They went back to the triangle.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I've used both.

Accu-Rack.....hands down. It should last for YEARS and be very consistent while doing so. The balls are frozen, but not necessarily wired.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd rather have a ball defect a few mm off the rack than have a cluster of balls or have the 9 shoot in the corner or have someone spend 2 minutes trying to rack. If it hits the rack, just treat it as a random collision off anything else.