2016 BCAPL Naationals

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Hi Folks,

Can't believe this thread hasn't been started yet. Who's going? Know the entries are down but someone other than I must be. Arriving July 19th. Playing in the Platinum 9 ball, Senior Platinum 8 ball and three man Gold 9 ball teams. Come on, who's going?

Lyn

rattleryan9

Registered
I will be there for Gold Scotch doubles and who knows what open lol but probably gold if my calculations are right , but then again I am probably wrong because I spend more time hitting the ball into the rail then I do doing math :)

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going also , arriving the 18th .
Playing platinum 9-ball , platinum 8-ball and 10-ball challenge .

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Folks,

Can't believe this thread hasn't been started yet. Who's going? Know the entries are down but someone other than I must be. Arriving July 19th. Playing in the Platinum 9 ball, Senior Platinum 8 ball and three man Gold 9 ball teams. Come on, who's going?

Lyn

This will be the 12th consecutive year of attendance for the Santa Barbara Pool League (515). This year we will have more players going than any other year (50). Personally I will be playing in the Gold Scotch Doubles, Gold 8-Ball Singles, Gold 9-Ball Teams, and Gold 8-Ball Teams.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be there for Gold Scotch doubles and who knows what open lol but probably gold if my calculations are right , but then again I am probably wrong because I spend more time hitting the ball into the rail then I do doing math :)

Your 551 Fargo rating should be comfortably within the Gold division. The Silver/Gold split should be right around the "unknown" 525 rating. It will be curious to see which division the unknowns get placed into.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I'd love to go, and Play. However, my stamina is only good for 2-3 hours of play in 24 hrs.
I have a Ranch nearby and may stay there for a few days so I can watch my friends play.

rattleryan9

Registered
Your 551 Fargo rating should be comfortably within the Gold division. The Silver/Gold split should be right around the "unknown" 525 rating. It will be curious to see which division the unknowns get placed into.[/QUOT

Thank you as I have been confused to everything :D I am sure my partner and I will bump into you during the Scotch doubles :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Folks,

Lyn

Whatever the lowest division, that's where I'll be.

Freddie <~~~ sawdust division?

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MORE INTERESTING 2016 BCAPL NATIONALS TRIVIA....

So far $632,125 in entry fees have been paid by 4,700 different players. If you look at entry fees paid by league, League 879 from Concord, CA is #1 in the world at $8,345. Here are the top five leagues:
1. $11,295 - Concord, CA League 879
2. $10,640 - Tacoma, WA League 1037
3. $ 8,445 - Santa Rosa, CA League 148
4. $ 8,345 - Santa Barbara, CA League 515 :grin::grin::grin:
5. $ 7,760 - Tulsa, OK League 98

There are 4700 different players competing in the Nationals. Not all belong to a league. If you look at players by league, League 148 from Santa Rosa, CA is #1 in the world with 98 different players competing. Here are the top six leagues:
1. 98 players - Santa Rosa, CA League 148
2. 70 players - Concord, CA League 879
3. 69 players - Phoenix, AZ League 526
4. 53 players - Lexington, KY League 230
5. 53 players - Columbus, OH League 1340
6. 51 players - Santa Barbara, CA League 515 :grin::grin::grin:
6. 51 players - Phoenix, AZ League 10

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be there. I'm playing the 8 ball singles then the teams. No idea what division I'll be in for the singles...but its starting to look like the highest. (Platinum?)

For the teams I know we are registered for the Platinum. Should be super tough. The majority of our team is under 600. Me and one other teammate are at about 660. I better get my act together!

KMRUNOUT

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at singles with 15/35/35/15 that will be a catastrophe!!! More like 5/50/35/10 to be fair.

I like Fargo Ratings but the splits are way, way off currently. I hope they adjust. Entries will be lower yet next year without change.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Looking at singles with 15/35/35/15 that will be a catastrophe!!! More like 5/50/35/10 to be fair.

I like Fargo Ratings but the splits are way, way off currently. I hope they adjust. Entries will be lower yet next year without change.

Duane,

Adding all the men's singles events together for 2016 shows a drop of 241 entries to 1310 total from last year. Based on the 15/35/35/15 breakdown, there will be 158 players in both the Platinum and Bronze. The Silver and Gold divisions will have about 368 players each. YEOW!!! Last years Open had 884. Thats more than the Silver and Gold combined! Lots and lots of unhappy players. Someone better rethink the breakdowns fast! My guess is Fargo 620 and above Platinum. Fargo 560 up to 619 will be Gold. Fargo 460 to 560 is Silver and below 460 is Bronze. Think your percentages are still low. Perhaps 10/60/25/5 may be closer to workable numbers. It sure will be interesting!

Last year the Senior and Super Senior events had 340 players nearly evenly split. This years 276 player Senior event 75/25 Fargo split will put 207 in the Gold and 69 in the Platinum. Actually, the split should occur at 586 putting 71 in the Platinum.

Frankly, the splits mean little to me. I'll be playing Platinum for years to come. Perhaps in a couple of years when I turn 75, they will take pitty on us old guys and allow us to play in the Gold. I doubt it but who knows :rolleyes: .

Lyn

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Duane,

Adding all the men's singles events together for 2016 shows a drop of 241 entries to 1310 total from last year. Based on the 15/35/35/15 breakdown, there will be 158 players in both the Platinum and Bronze. The Silver and Gold divisions will have about 368 players each. YEOW!!! Last years Open had 884. Thats more than the Silver and Gold combined! Lots and lots of unhappy players. Someone better rethink the breakdowns fast! My guess is Fargo 620 and above Platinum. Fargo 560 up to 619 will be Gold. Fargo 460 to 560 is Silver and below 460 is Bronze. Think your percentages are still low. Perhaps 10/60/25/5 may be closer to workable numbers. It sure will be interesting!

Last year the Senior and Super Senior events had 340 players nearly evenly split. This years 276 player Senior event 75/25 Fargo split will put 207 in the Gold and 69 in the Platinum. Actually, the split should occur at 586 putting 71 in the Platinum.

Frankly, the splits mean little to me. I'll be playing Platinum for years to come. Perhaps in a couple of years when I turn 75, they will take pitty on us old guys and allow us to play in the Gold. I doubt it but who knows :rolleyes: .

Lyn

Is this the correct split ??? I am the low end of the Gold for singles (that sucks) so basically every player in my division is better than me.

Like I said, they should have done 5 divisions, 20% each.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
I'll be there, playing in the Gold Division Team 8 Ball.

Hope to go further than last year (although we did manage to win one of the single-elimination second-chance brackets).

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duane,

Lyn

You have to look at the whole picture. The singles numbers are down but the team numbers are at or ahead of where they were last year.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duane,

Lyn

I've played the Open division twice. I finished 65th and 97th. I've played pool for 20+ years so I'm not improving at an alarming rate, although I am improving. I have essentially been moved up to Master based on *1* tournament I did well in (the local BCA Northeast Regional 8 Ball, which I won). That doesn't seem right to me.

I have been thinking that in leagues if you want to discourage sandbagging, skew the *prize money* to the top. For example in APA, have the highest tier have a much larger prize fund. So then you can compete at a low level if you wish, or if that's all you can do, but there is a motivation to move up to the next level. I think the same holds here. The structure of the BCA specifically motivated me to stay as an "Open". Now, I tried my best and made every effort to move up based on my abilities and skill. However, to not do especially great, and have to go from a 900 player tourney paying $9K for first, to a, what, 150 player tourney paying like 3K? Why would I want to do that? Especially given that I am *flying across the country on my dime* to do it? I simply don't understand that logic. Why am I going again?

KMRUNOUT

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This will be the 12th consecutive year of attendance for the Santa Barbara Pool League (515). This year we will have more players going than any other year (50). Personally I will be playing in the Gold Scotch Doubles, Gold 8-Ball Singles, Gold 9-Ball Teams, and Gold 8-Ball Teams.

I'm sure Omega Billiards will be glad to hear it. Is Rigo going to make it this year?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
That's why I said KMRUNOUT they should have done 20%, 5 divisions. That would have kept all the prize structures equal. Congrats on your win. Do you have a starter rating or do you have a FargoRate established? You didn't make that clear.

That being said, the APA has more sandbagging in it than any league around. You couldn't put a gun to my head to play in that league ever again.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
You have to look at the whole picture. The singles numbers are down but the team numbers are at or ahead of where they were last year.

The numbers you used for 2015 were incorrect. Doubles entries are actually down as well. This year 604 teams. Last year 623. Now I see why you deleted part of your post. Really doesn't matter. I'm going and so are nearly 6800 other players. BCAPL always puts on a great event. This years payouts will be interesting to see. I'm going to try really hard to bring home my share ;) :rolleyes: .

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I've played the Open division twice. I finished 65th and 97th. I've played pool for 20+ years so I'm not improving at an alarming rate, although I am improving. I have essentially been moved up to Master based on *1* tournament I did well in (the local BCA Northeast Regional 8 Ball, which I won). That doesn't seem right to me.

I have been thinking that in leagues if you want to discourage sandbagging, skew the *prize money* to the top. For example in APA, have the highest tier have a much larger prize fund. So then you can compete at a low level if you wish, or if that's all you can do, but there is a motivation to move up to the next level. I think the same holds here. The structure of the BCA specifically motivated me to stay as an "Open". Now, I tried my best and made every effort to move up based on my abilities and skill. However, to not do especially great, and have to go from a 900 player tourney paying $9K for first, to a, what, 150 player tourney paying like 3K? Why would I want to do that? Especially given that I am *flying across the country on my dime* to do it? I simply don't understand that logic. Why am I going again?

KMRUNOUT

Incidentally, you and me have the exact same Fargo rating. To the best of my knowledge, mine came from one event I played in over my twenty plus years as a BCA PL player. I was 5/6 in the 2012 Open at 67 years old. One truely lucky event where my opponents literally gave me matches. Was I suppose to miss intentionally? Anyway, look forward to meeting you. Almost forgot, had the same discussion with MG as to why I'm flying out to play. Good luck!

Lyn