Need advice and help about refinish and cuemaker work.

damiano

Registered
Hi everybody. I’m new to this forum and your help will be highly appreciated. Around 6 months ago I contacted one of the famous cuemeker which cue I owned. This is one of my favorite ones and need a refinish, new tips etc.
He was super nice and helpful. We agree to the price and work he supposed to make for me. The work was supposed to take 2-3 weeks. The cue was mailed at the end of September. Cuemaker supposed to check the cue and advice for any additional work.
I’m new to the cue work and this was the first time I decided to send the cue for refinish. I also send him a couple shafts that need new ferrule or tips. Last message from him was in October that he will contact me shortly about the cue. Since then he has never replied to my phone calls, texts or emails. If you have any advice please help me. I do not know what to do. It is around 4 months and I did not hear anything from this CUEMAKER!!!

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully it wasn’t Dennis Searing , he is probably busy doing $1500 rewraps on $300 McDermotts lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Pretty sure we need a name here. The cue maker could have died, been in a wreck, retired, got arrested... Anything...

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it's not the great cue maker Ling Chou Lucasi.
With all this virus stuff going on in China who knows .

damiano

Registered
I don't care who it is. I wish you luck. You had to expect people were going to ask when you started this thread.
Hi,
My intention was to get advice not to harm his name.
It could be a reason that he is not responsive. I do not know that.
Before I shipped items he replied to my texts. After he got a cue there was no answer.
I'm 1000 mile away and the phone is the only way to communicate with him.
I can always PM the name. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has a problem with this cuemaker.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
Before I shipped items he replied to my texts. After he got a cue there was no answer.
I can always PM the name. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has a problem with this cuemaker.

I agree with your intentions. Very respectable. I've been on both sides of the coin. It sucks on both sides of the coin. But I learned from it.

JC

Coos Cues
Hi,

If there is a legit reason for the non communication and delay it will be known and his name will be fine.

If there is no good reason then his name deserves to be harmed.

Either way you came here for advice so I'm going to give you some.

Name the cue maker and then and only then will people who know him or know of him be able to tell it like it is so you can decide what to do.

If you don't want to name him leave this thread and never look back, you're just wasting band width.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hi,

Well if you know the name of the town, or city the person works out of, call the local Cop shop (Police, Sherriff, Town Marshal) say your concerned for this person. Ask for a welfare check, most police agencies will call you back, and advise if the person is alive or deceased.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Cue Maker Time has always been a lot slower than normal time but I can understand your concern about this. Mutual respect would demand some sort of communication between the two of you.

Perhaps someone that lives near the fella can contribute some information as to what is going on but for that to happen a name needs to known. It would think it would be acceptable for you to ask for information from the AZ community about the status of the cue maker since you can get no response any other way.

I am curious as to what sort of help you expected when you made your post asking for help in this matter.

Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would send him a register letter announcing my concerns and demanding a completion date or return of property. Sometimes success can be devastating.

Mario

JC

Coos Cues
Cue Maker Time has always been a lot slower than normal time but I can understand your concern about this. Mutual respect would demand some sort of communication between the two of you.

Perhaps someone that lives near the fella can contribute some information as to what is going on but for that to happen a name needs to known. It would think it would be acceptable for you to ask for information from the AZ community about the status of the cue maker since you can get no response any other way.

I am curious as to what sort of help you expected when you made your post asking for help in this matter.

Cue makers use the same clock and calendar as every other tradesman and honorable human on the planet.

There is nothing special about them. Not one thing.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue makers use the same clock and calendar as every other tradesman and honorable human on the planet.

There is nothing special about them. Not one thing.

JC,

Unfortunately it seems that some of them didn't get that memo. Two of my last three experiences with ordering a cue have been quite unproductive, One builder rode my money for 13 months before sending me a birdseye forearm cue instead of the curly/coco/curly merry widow that was discussed. BTW, 13 months, instead of the 3-4 months that he regularly quotes, seems to be a magic number for this particular individual. I did get my money back but it was far from being a pleasant experience. The second builder added 50% onto the completion time after the original completion date was missed. There was no deposit involved in this instance so it was an easily remedied situation. The third builder quoted a completion date and met it, Thanks Michael Capone. The cue was built correctly and started without a deposit.

The actions of a few can have the unfortunate consequence of making potential customers a bit shy about even considering a build, or in the case of the OP, repairs.

Keith

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two custom cues that are way past due. One well over 2 years, and the second is approaching a year. I've never brought it up here because people will want to know who they are, and I am not ready to disclose either name for various reasons. I know if I want advice from this forum, they will need to know who they are.

Like KeithE and many others have said, many custom cue makers are on their own schedules and don't meet deadlines and can be hard to get up with. Luckily for me, the first I gave no deposit to, and the second is a relatively small deposit.

If they had my cue and started ghosting me, I don't think I would be so patient. At some point, if they continue to be unresponsive, you're going to have to take some action to get your cue back. Dropping a name on here is probably a nicer starting point than getting the authorities involved.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Pardon me but this it total BS, most businesses live or die on reputation, quality of work, fair pricing. Give me a Break how long does it take to communicate with your customer. Send them an update, post card or V e-mail, tell them you have a problem, and will be delayed.

Then do as you promised, or just do nothing and piss off the customer. Don't like working 70- 90 Hours a week to keep you business in Black Ink, customers happy, getting new customers.

Then you an EW, or TZ formor Cuemakers on this Fourm back working at Wal-Mart as Cart pushers, or something.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get wanting to protect a cuemaker's reputation. And yet I agree the name should be posted. If it turns out to be an extenuating circumstance, that will be clarified here. If not, it's an appropriate thing to share regarding someone's reputation. Truth is there are people who are great craftsmen but not great businessmen. Both may matter to prospective customers. It doesn't make you a bad person if you struggle on that end, and we've seen enough dirty laundry aired to realize there are more perspectives than one to consider. That said, your reticence to share the name and the basic principle of promised work with short turnaround time being very delayed without any contact or answering attempts to clarify are pretty transparent indicators that you deserve at least an explanation. Posting the name is the way to help both you and the community.