Anyone Know Of A Guy With Deformed Arms Nicknamed "Flipper"?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I believe it was back in the 80's somewhere between Westchester Cty, NY and northern NJ there was a guy with deformed arms known as Flipper who reportedly played real good and he even won some money from a couple guys I know.

Was wondering if anyone out there knew of this guy maybe had some stories.

The guys I know were fondly reminiscing (and laughing) over how they knew they had it all locked up then this guy with this disability managed to lay down some whippings.

Would love to hear more.

best,
brian kc

RogerO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian:
I knew a similar player while growing up in eastern CT. Same deformity, same nickname though it was seldom uttered. Although he played decently considering his challenges, I doubt that it's The same person. Once I feel getting back to the room, I'll give you more info.
Roger

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it was back in the 80's somewhere between Westchester Cty, NY and northern NJ there was a guy with deformed arms known as Flipper who reportedly played real good and he even won some money from a couple guys I know.

Was wondering if anyone out there knew of this guy maybe had some stories.

The guys I know were fondly reminiscing (and laughing) over how they knew they had it all locked up then this guy with this disability managed to lay down some whippings.

Would love to hear more.

best,
brian kc

Brian, I'm pretty sure I saw this guy play once, but don't remember where it was. He had two very short, frail looking arms that he cradled the cue with. He may have shot off a bridge as I recall. I remember just being amazed that he could actually make balls and control the cue ball. I don't think he was more than an average player at best, but that was damn good considering his handicap.

There was a really good player out of Oklahoma they called Little Hand, who had one very short arm that was his stroking hand. Lewis Bramlett was his real name. He hustled all over the place and was fairly well known. He would bet it up too.

howaboutnever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw him in nyc rooms in late 80’s early 90’s..Julians and Chelsea. I think
his name is Gary..worked at an airport..maybe Newark.He moved well and
he pocketed better than you might expect.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
No but I knew a girl with one leg shorter than the other. Eileen.

(get it? I Lean?) Nyuk Nyuk

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 80s I played a guy in Buffalo NY. An older guy with one arm. He had a contraption over his shaft that allowed him to rest it on the table...kind of like a floating bridge. He could play a little!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Could you be thinking of Frank Flipperfist?

frank flipperfist.JPG

pj
chgo

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Gary "the Claw".. maybe same guy...

North Jersey 80's / 90's.. loved one hole....

Decent mover...

Joe

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
got a confirmation from my guys that yes it must be Gary The Claw aka Flipper; it was 1p and they played their memorable set at Chelsea. He did also come to Bridgeport, CT shortly after looking for some action.

Thanks guys!

any other stories on him would be great. Is he still around?

best,
brian kc

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
No but I knew a girl with one leg shorter than the other. Eileen.

(get it? I Lean?) Nyuk Nyuk

weren't you just in another thread suggesting kindness and tolerance toward others despite our differences?

:rotflmao::nanner::rotflmao:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back in the 80s I played a guy in Buffalo NY. An older guy with one arm. He had a contraption over his shaft that allowed him to rest it on the table...kind of like a floating bridge. He could play a little!

In L.A. we had "One Armed Joe" Ligon who always carried a table brush to use as a bridge. He loved to play One Pocket and used to match up with good players who gave him a spot. He would play cheap, 10 or 20 a game, and yes I played him a few times myself. I liked the guy (we were friends) and I might play him 8-5 and the break for five a game, just to practice. He enjoyed the game and so did I. He was always happy just to be playing with me and that made me feel good.

Joe was also a very talented musician and played with several L.A. area bands as a side man.

Then there as Morgan "the One Armed Bandit," a very good one handed player who used to put on exhibitions in bars (he had posters made and charged $75 to the bar owner for his show). After his exhibition was over he would often try to rob some of the patrons playing Eight Ball for five or ten a game. Ernest Morgan was his real name and he was a larcenous old coot, but I enjoyed his "show" for the most part. He only messed with me once in my poolroom in Bakersfield. We played some big table Eight Ball and he didn't like it. He got a little huffy with me but got over it after I helped him book a couple of bars for exhibitions.

Last edited:

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had an African American player in the LA area we called Flipper. He had deformed arms and played pretty well for his condition. He played around the South LA / Hollywood sections of town. He was active up until around 1990 or so. I'm sure Jay Helfert would remember him.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
got a confirmation from my guys that yes it must be Gary The Claw aka Flipper; it was 1p and they played their memorable set at Chelsea. He did also come to Bridgeport, CT shortly after looking for some action.

Thanks guys!

any other stories on him would be great. Is he still around?

best,
brian kc

I haven't seen Gary in many years.
In the 80's, he hustled around the poolrooms in NJ and NYC and played all the games pretty well.
Because he looked helpless at first, he got easy games and was a smart hustler/gambler.
His day job was a social worker in Jersey.