Historic Cues. Do you have any?

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry Lisciotti's personal Palmer

This was given to me by Larry at Chicago Billiards in West Haven, CT.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,082
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,084

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorites

This cue is historic because Cisero Murphy was the first African-American to win a world championship, to be inducted into the Billiards Hall of Fame, and the only African-American to have his own cue line by a major company.This one is the AC-12 The Hudson, the most expensive in the line. It took me over 7 years to track down. Thanks to Drawman.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,069

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
While this 1970's Ivory Crown Jewel has a pretty significant history of its own, it's the 2 Black Ferrule Shafts at the bottom of the picture that are a little historic to me. These are the actual shafts the Jim Rempe used to win the World English Pool Championships in the 80's.

I've been playing around with the one that has a tip on it, great for pocketing balls but really hard for me to adjust to due to the small diameter.

rcj1.jpg

rcj2.jpg

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
While this 1970's Ivory Crown Jewel has a pretty significant history of its own, it's the 2 Black Ferrule Shafts at the bottom of the picture that are a little historic to me. These are the actual shafts the Jim Rempe used to win the World English Pool Championships in the 80's.

I've been playing around with the one that has a tip on it, great for pocketing balls but really hard for me to adjust to due to the small diameter.

View attachment 427836

View attachment 427837

Crown Jewel is an appropriate name for that baby
Historic cue for sure

WayToGo

:smile:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 427836

View attachment 427837

whats the diameter??
please..:)

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post; I had conversations with John as well, early 90s as I recall. I still have a lot of his pictures that he graciously sent around to collectors. Fairly consistent figures, though as I recall he stated to me, closer to 1,200 for George, but he admitted hard to tell for sure. A substantial number ended overseas as you know. And quite a few early were Titlist conversions. We've generally settled on a number about 1,200, but admittedly would be hard to track, as some are no doubt lost or destroyed. Given his time span of early/mid 60s to 1975, I think it's not out of the realm to estimate somewhat more than 1,000. Wish they had serial numbers on them.

All the best,
H

I personally saw a Balabushka destroyed, so at least one is gone.

shadowmoss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many thanks Eric. I'm going to assume there was only one of these made with the gold and the jewels. That is a pretty prized cue. Catalog brochure, at the time:

All the best,
WW

Your assumption is correct.
IMG_0093.JPG

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jimi played big shafts

He leaned toward about 14 mm when he was 18 or so. I never knew he went much smaller but I haven't been around him in maybe 40 years or more.
Nice Cues!
Nick :)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Many great Historic cues here in this thread but if we were voting this Cue would get my vote.

You're referring to the magnificent Gus Szamboti owned and played by Allen Hopkins. I think a lot would agree. A fancy Gus in the hands of a champion is pretty hard to beat. In fact, there are some other fancy Szamboti cues here as well. I'm glad this isn't a contest, as I'd have a hard time picking a winner. Glad a lot of cue enthousiasts such as yourself are enjoying this thread.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're referring to the magnificent Gus Szamboti owned and played by Allen Hopkins. I think a lot would agree. A fancy Gus in the hands of a champion is pretty hard to beat. In fact, there are some other fancy Szamboti cues here as well. I'm glad this isn't a contest, as I'd have a hard time picking a winner. Glad a lot of cue enthousiasts such as yourself are enjoying this thread.

All the best,
WW

Exactly. Nobody needs to out-do any anybody here. It's about history.

The cues need not be impressive on their own, though we do enjoy that.

The players, the cues, the connections, the history of the sport......

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old brunswick 26 1/2

DSC02402_jpg.jpg

DSC02403_jpg.jpg

DSC02405_jpg.jpg

DSC02407_jpg.jpg

DSC02409_jpg.jpg

A couple very old Brunswick cues. I've had them about 4 or 5 years. Scott at proficient had refinished them; pictures are from his web site.

I keep them stored in a plexi wall display case.

No idea who owned them in the past, who may have shot with them; no history.

Just OLD.

I'll post a picture of them as I have them with a third old Brunswick one piece cue.

Dave

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Balabushka belonged to Richard Austin of Memphis Tennessee, a man of dubious distinction... passed away awaiting the death penalty in Tennessee. Stories were he was a gambler, hustler and member of some sort of an organization. We received the cue via his ex...

JV

The Tennessee Department of Correction says the state's oldest and longest serving death row inmate has died of natural causes.

Spokeswoman Dorinda Carter said 68-year-old Richard Austin was found dead in his cell at the DeBerry Special Needs Facility in Nashville on Sunday. He spent 30 years on death row.

Austin was sentenced to death in 1978 after a conviction in Shelby County of accessory before the fact to murder.

Austin was found to have hired a fugitive from prison to kill undercover policeman Julian Watkins. Watkins was investigating illegal gambling operations at the Golden Cue, a Memphis establishment that Austin owned.

Austin was the first person sentenced to die under Tennessee's current death penalty law, which was enacted in 1977.

I would love to have that cue......

Ken