Cue identification help

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But cap stayed on.

Suggests it's threaded in some other way.

That also is a clue.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Frankencue?

I think it's some sort of Frankencue or repair on a cue, to repair a broken handle section or A joint. The ring doesn't appear original, as the dots on the points are way too close to the ring to make any aesthetic or logical sense...I'd be surprised if it turned out to be an import...the forearm just looks domestic and higher quality to me...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am thinking a domestic maker put this together.

More of a "conversion" than a repair.

A "dressed up" rebuild of a cue maybe? "Frankencue" as was said.

It's a cool cue though.

Forearm does look like good quality...but that does not mean the forearm is not an import.

The dots are generally well done but if you look carefully there is some spacing of the dots that is off. Both slight difference in distance from each other and alignment off in the butt sleeve dots.

Not really sure who might have done it.

At this point it is a mystery to me. Hopefully somebody can ID it.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The dots are generally well done but if you look carefully there is some spacing of the dots that is off. Both slight difference in distance from each other and alignment off in the butt sleeve dots.

Not really sure who might have done it.

At this point it is a mystery to me. Hopefully somebody can ID it.

Don't be too sure about alignment of dots by picture. By picture, they all look off, due to angle and camera anomaly. Also, there is a decision on the cuemaker on how to index point inlays, to make them centered, but also concentric in all the points. If the main inlay gets centered, sometimes the secondary inlays end up in awkward places. If, on the other hand, the cuemaker indexes from the inside veneers starting with the secondary inlays, the main inlay can look a bit off, but the overall inlays look consistent point to point. A lot to think about.

Agree, this one's a mystery. The attributes I mentioned above are consistent with an early Scruggs. The ring above the wrap does not look like anything Tim did.

And so, we wait.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could easily not be seeing what I think I am seeing in the pics. But, that's what I thought I saw.

It's an interesting cue, I think you know I have a thing for the "orphans" like this. I don't know why.

shadowmoss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another scam.

At lease we have documented evidence that this cue did not have a TS logo and some other cue maker put it there.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love these ID threads, they are fun. Sometimes it's hard to deliver bad news when a person is really looking for good news. This is especially true when the cue has some personal worth to the owner. It is always a lot of fun to deliver good news.

When it is a dealer it's a different matter. They are trying to establish value usually because they rolled the dice on an unknown. I honestly never looked at the OP and never saw the iTrader. I just didn't bother.

I said I thought it was a frankencue. At the moment I stand by that.

If somebody very qualified identified the cue, I want to know about it.

If somebody is qualified to reproduce the TS logo, and did so on that cue, I want to know about it. And I want to know that person has permission from Scruggs or his estate.

Maybe Frey? "Bob Frey has been authorized by Tim Scruggs to do any repair work needed on his cues." http://freycues.com/tim-scruggs-repair/

I would love to be wrong about this cue. I have no problems being wrong. Ask my wife, I am wrong frequently.

The cue was posted here for identification. The OP should come back and finish this conversation. Anything else smacks of fraud.

Last edited:

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all I seen this post back up to the top. I forgot to update u guys. My buddy who had this cue took it to bob frey house. Frey said it was a scruggs. Charged him 30 bucks to relogo it and he also having another matching shaft made for it by Bob Frey.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all I seen this post back up to the top. I forgot to update u guys. My buddy who had this cue took it to bob frey house. Frey said it was a scruggs. Charged him 30 bucks to relogo it and he also having another matching shaft made for it by Bob Frey.

Perfect. Thankfully.

Did he get a document? In light of the cue being out there without the logo it would be prudent.

Probably the receipt from Frey for the logo would suffice.

It would probably help the sale.

But since the butt cap was replaced it leaves one wondering what else might not be original. If it's only the butt cap then no big deal.

Personally, I would want a document from Frey regarding the cue and whether or not it is original (other than the butt cap) and/or there has been any other work on it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue is relisted.

It says nothing about Frey. As for the additional shaft it says "it now has a custom shaft made by Bob DZ in Erie,PA"

I copied the wrong Ebay sale here. Sorry about that.. The OP cleared that up below.

We are told here on AZB by HoldemRw that there was an additional shaft made by Frey.

Why the inconsistency of information?

EDIT: Bob Dzuricky is no slouch. He just isn't Bob Frey. I mean no insult to him or his work.

Last edited:

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue on ebay with DZ,shaft is not the cue in this thread that cue is Jeff duke with flame veneers and maple boxes. I sold thst cue to jeff so I know it very well. The cue in this thread is no longer on ebay because Don Sureman here on AZ purchased from my buddy. This could all be cleared up with 1 call or email to Mr Bob Frey
Not sure if bobs going send him a document or not I guess he figured restamping it would be enough proof. But I sure he can send a document if needed

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue on ebay with DZ,shaft is not the cue in this thread that cue is Jeff duke with flame veneers and maple boxes. I sold thst cue to jeff so I know it very well. The cue in this thread is no longer on ebay because Don Sureman here on AZ purchased from my buddy. This could all be cleared up with 1 call or email to Mr Bob Frey
Not sure if bobs going send him a document or not I guess he figured restamping it would be enough proof. But I sure he can send a document if needed

Sorry I copied and posted the wrong Ebay sale!

My sicere apologies.

I will delete it.