tapering, taper bars and such

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this was being discussed the other as part of another subject and it was mentioned that the tail stock could be set up at an angle to accomplish tapering with out the need for taper bars. So as I was searching the web today for tooling for my lathe I ran across the item that I would post at the end! So if this will work with out very much more than setting it and fine tuning it, it would not cost much if it only cost the price of the tool. Let me know what Y'all think!

s-l140.jpg

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
this was being discussed the other as part of another subject and it was mentioned that the tail stock could be set up at an angle to accomplish tapering with out the need for taper bars. So as I was searching the web today for tooling for my lathe I ran across the item that I would post at the end! So if this will work with out very much more than setting it and fine tuning it, it would not cost much if it only cost the price of the tool. Let me know what Y'all think!

View attachment 506899

Where did you find this? I have one of the ones from Hightower, but it appears to take up a little more space than the one you pictured.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
while searching ebay for other items it popped up and there is a huge difference in Price, I have never been good at posting a link to things but I will try or at least post the item number for you to find it.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the tool is being sold by Globaltools 2016 item # 123290345714, and sells for like 68.00 and free shipping.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the DECCO CUE set up. It is 10 times the price of the tool mentioned and worth 100 times the ability to taper correctly. IMO

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to find a web page for them and didn't have any luck and he indicates that he does not know how to post photos here, in my searching there were a few photos but not much and even less info on what size lathes it will work on, price or anything else.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I tried to find a web page for them and didn't have any luck and he indicates that he does not know how to post photos here, in my searching there were a few photos but not much and even less info on what size lathes it will work on, price or anything else.

Works on 40" between centers lathe .

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not a 40 inch lathe it is more like a 22 inch, why is it that when I google decco cues nothing comes up nada, zip zero, does he have a web page? He did pm me to say that he could make a few things but that he cant post photo's.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not a 40 inch lathe it is more like a 22 inch, why is it that when I google decco cues nothing comes up nada, zip zero, does he have a web page? He did pm me to say that he could make a few things but that he cant post photo's.

It's my fault, I misspelled the name, try DECO cue and the results will be what you seek.
I recommended deco cue taper bars because I was under the impression you were going to be using a full sized metal lathe. I have seen his taper bar set-up installed on a 36" full sized lathe and used without a problem.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem but I think I did try Deco as well and couldn't find a web page I did see articles that were posted here on AZB, I will go back again and try FB and a google search again. I did see some photos of his tapper bars but having looked at so much it the last couple of days alone I cant recall if his system would work with any type with maybe the exception of the mini's.

Ok so I went back and googled the name again and several photos popped up with reference back here to AZB and as I ^^^ mentioned and I have to go back and reread the PM as to what the set up can fit, it is a sweet looking set up. There was one photo where they guy had it set up on a WOOD lathe no larger than my machine lathe, so that leads to me again wonder with his mfg abilities if he can make it to fit any size, and I really like his router set up that he said he can make, I saw one on a quick release post. Thanks

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem but I think I did try Deco as well and couldn't find a web page I did see articles that were posted here on AZB, I will go back again and try FB and a google search again. I did see some photos of his tapper bars but having looked at so much it the last couple of days alone I cant recall if his system would work with any type with maybe the exception of the mini's.

Ok so I went back and googled the name again and several photos popped up with reference back here to AZB and as I ^^^ mentioned and I have to go back and reread the PM as to what the set up can fit, it is a sweet looking set up. There was one photo where they guy had it set up on a WOOD lathe no larger than my machine lathe, so that leads to me again wonder with his mfg abilities if he can make it to fit any size, and I really like his router set up that he said he can make, I saw one on a quick release post. Thanks

It's quality engineered and made for the sole purpose of cue making.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hi Ron
I don't understand how you're going to turn a 29 or 30 inch blank to round, or offset the tail end with a lathe that's only 22 inches between centers. No matter which direction you cut, 8 inches of one end is going to be clamped in the chuck. Trying to offset the other end is going to require bending the blank.
???
Gary

Edit: After thinking about it, I guess if you don't intend to turn shafts, then you could turn butts and handles separately on that lathe, then join them together.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

It's not going to fit your 22" between centers lathe.

Last edited:

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't think so after looking at photos that I did find, however he can make other items I can use once ready.