Rules

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do any of you know what the rules are for
1.number of cues you can use in a match
2. weight limits
3. length limits
I know Earl was using a 70 inch cue or something like that in a match .
Was that also allowed in tournaments?
I also remember an English snooker player from the 1920s who had a cue the size of a pencil, until they deemed it illegal .
The reason I ask is , I was forced to play a safe on the wrong side of the rack playing one pocket, because everything else I could do, was a worse option.
There were no dead balls and I thought the guy would elevate the cue and move them a bit and draw back to the rail but I would at least have a chance to see something afterward. This has usually been the response by good players in similar situations
My opponent goes into his bag and pulls out a thing that looked more like a ball bat than a cue and shot into the stack with that, It moved nearly the whole stack over in front of his pocket and I had called the tournament director over because I thought he might foul .
After the shot I looked at the TD, and he says, good hit, and walks away.
The cue end was about as big around as my thumb, something like 25 to 30 mm I would guess maybe more.
I'm about 95 % sure he fouled, but I don't argue with TDs it's a lost cause.
Same TD allowed a guy to do something very similar to jumping jacks in front of my pocket every shot for a whole match.
I used to spend between 40 and 70 dollars a week in that pool room, for years ,last year I spent zero.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
from the wpa rules
17. Cue Sticks

Cue Sticks used at WPA competitions should comply with the following
during play at table:

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum

The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..

The ferrule of the cue stick, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch [2.54 cm] in length.

here is a link to the rules
https://wpapool.com/rule-regulations/
click on rules to get to the various categories
hope this helps

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why is there a maximum size of ferrule?
and amaximum weidht?

i had a JC cue with an extension that was 25 ounces and I loved it

I wonder sometimes if heavy cues are coming back

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
old rules

In old rule books I seem to remember maximum lengths of 66" and/or 72" somewhere else. Maximum weight was 26 ounces. I think maximum tip diameter was 14mm but not sure of that. There was a minimum length too, made jump rods illegal. Jump rods were maybe sixteen to eighteen inches long, half inch solid stainless or aluminum. A tip glued to one end and that thing would jump a ball like crazy!

When people play with the huge cues all the time now I am fairly sure they violate some of the old rules concerning length and weight. I have never seen somebody called on it though.

I have consulted online rules about this or that now and then but I don't think I have owned a rule book since the 1980's so the rules might be a bit dated. Some were probably according to Hoyle too which I don't remember ever seeing applied at a tournament although there was a copy in a pool room sometimes.

A lot of the time the rule comes down to what you are big enough to get away with, not exactly fair!

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The maximum length of a metal ferrule is in there because of very short metal jump rods that were briefly in fashion. They took all the skill out of jumping.;)

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In old rule books I seem to remember maximum lengths of 66" and/or 72" somewhere else. Maximum weight was 26 ounces. I think maximum tip diameter was 14mm but not sure of that. There was a minimum length too, made jump rods illegal. Jump rods were maybe sixteen to eighteen inches long, half inch solid stainless or aluminum. A tip glued to one end and that thing would jump a ball like crazy!

When people play with the huge cues all the time now I am fairly sure they violate some of the old rules concerning length and weight. I have never seen somebody called on it though.

I have consulted online rules about this or that now and then but I don't think I have owned a rule book since the 1980's so the rules might be a bit dated. Some were probably according to Hoyle too which I don't remember ever seeing applied at a tournament although there was a copy in a pool room sometimes.

A lot of the time the rule comes down to what you are big enough to get away with, not exactly fair!

Hu

The best jumper I ever saw was using a regular maple shaft only with no tip just the ferrule. He could jump the width of the table and more from about a credit card distance from the full object ball.
He was probably a high B level player but from the first time he tried to jump a ball he was a savant. This was about 1985 to 87 He was the first person I saw throw the shaft at the cue ball like a dart.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best jumper I ever saw was using a regular maple shaft only with no tip just the ferrule. He could jump the width of the table and more from about a credit card distance from the full object ball.
He was probably a high B level player but from the first time he tried to jump a ball he was a savant. This was about 1985 to 87 He was the first person I saw throw the shaft at the cue ball like a dart.

That real close jump is a FOUUUUUL!

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Kinda snuck up on me

I remember people jumping a bit with full pool cues. The rods like I mentioned, I don't remember a jump cue. For a couple decades I didn't play pool enough to say I played. When I came back jump cues were in style.

Interesting somebody was jumping with just a ferrule. Have to wonder just what the ferrule was made of.Maybe Micarta.

Hard to remember just what happened when. I seem to remember somebody using a cut down house cue before jump cues were in vogue.

Hu

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That real close jump is a FOUUUUUL!

Many believe ‘jumping’ (or breaking) with any but your regular cue should be also. Pool is not ‘golf’. Maybe next we could mark & switch our own personal cueball whenever? Or maybe stick a flag in the pocket to help aim those really long shots? I’m pulling for the (much needed) ‘Mulligan’!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many believe ‘jumping’ (or breaking) with any but your regular cue should be also. Pool is not ‘golf’. Maybe next we could mark & switch our own personal cueball whenever? Or maybe stick a flag in the pocket to help aim those really long shots? I’m pulling for the (much needed) ‘Mulligan’!

BTW: At the risk of being merely discounted (‘old fogey’/out-of-touch), I would just like to ask: If when viewing archival films of Greenleaf/Mosconi/etc. jumping over a half ball to complete a run, might you wonder: is that a skill now thus lost to history? Few would bother to otherwise hone it.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Like this guy in YouTube?
https://youtu.be/VXyUb6Fm3JE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
artistry

BTW: At the risk of being merely discounted (‘old fogey’/out-of-touch), I would just like to ask: If when viewing archival films of Greenleaf/Mosconi/etc. jumping over a half ball to complete a run, might you wonder: is that a skill now thus lost to history? Few would bother to otherwise hone it.

The old slip stroke is pretty much history now too. I try to practice it thirty minutes or an hour most trips to the pool hall. If I am playing or practicing with someone they generally ask what I am doing. Most find it useful when jammed against a rail or other balls. I don't think it will ever be as popular as it once was but it is one more tool to have available.

I do like people jumping out of their chair and having a conversation about the slip stroke! They don't think I cheated, just want the shot in their arsenal too. The slip stroke does seem much more convenient to shoot off the rail so it isn't totally without practical value but like many things there are easier ways to accomplish the same goals, or
there usually are. Sometimes we are saved by a "needless" option.

Hu

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Sammy Jones