Tim Scruggs Logo??

dacue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please any first hand info. on the rumor that another cue maker is putting, the T/S logo on cues. If true how is this acceptable, to person looking to buy a Scruggs cue, is it a real Scruggs or a knock off? Any first hand information would be helpful.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Well before Tim retired he granted a select few cue makers to mark his cues in the event of a refinish. One of them was Bob Frey who was an early partner of Tim.

I hope you aren't getting your rumors from Nick.

:rolleyes:

Please any first hand info. on the rumor that another cue maker is putting, the T/S logo on cues. If true how is this acceptable, to person looking to buy a Scruggs cue, is it a real Scruggs or a knock off? Any first hand information would be helpful.

pookster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob frey is the only one and I'm pretty sure he's done putting TS logo on cue cause of all DRAMA

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob frey is the only one and I'm pretty sure he's done putting TS logo on cue cause of all DRAMA

I hope he isn't put off to do so on a cue that needs a butt cap replaced that actually had a logo on it.

That would seem to be the primary intended purpose of giving permission to reproduce the logo; for repairs. I fail to see any drama in that.

If somebody loses their logo by having a cue repaired elsewhere then I would say they made a mistake and might have to tolerate losing out on that one.

shadowmoss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friends.

The 3 people who can relogo a TS is Bob Frey,Cory Barnhart and Paul Drexler, these 3 cue makers were Tim's good friends and were the 3 cue makers invited and in attendance at Tim's memorial dinner.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were fake TS cues on ebay and at least one on craigslist (same cue(s) maybe, that may be another source of a TS logo on a cue.

shadowmoss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your going to buy custom cue its a safe bet that if you buy it on AZB no one on here will let you get taken if you ask about the cue or cue maker.And ebay is monitored here as well.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were fake TS cues on ebay and at least one on craigslist (same cue(s) maybe, that may be another source of a TS logo on a cue.

I had the misfortune of buying a fake a few years ago. Not on AZB.

I did get my money back.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the misfortune of buying a fake a few years ago. Not on AZB.

I did get my money back.

The TS sneaky petes are probably like some of the paintings, I was watching something on fake paintings and they said that there were about 450 paintings of an artist in collections and museums, the issue is that the artist was only know to have painted 350 paintings LOL. It's probably pretty easy to fake a sneaky pete cue to make it look like someone else made it, and TS sneaky petes are well know as cues that he made. If he made 200 of them, there are probably 300 in the market LOL.

You guys probably remember that company what was putting fake but almost not fake Joss cues out there along with a few other brands. Predator also but they spelled it Preadotor or something, with the same design and logo. I think they were on eBay for a very long time even though we were reporting them as fakes.

Last edited:
I hope he isn't put off to do so on a cue that needs a butt cap replaced that actually had a logo on it.

That would seem to be the primary intended purpose of giving permission to reproduce the logo; for repairs. I fail to see any drama in that.

If somebody loses their logo by having a cue repaired elsewhere then I would say they made a mistake and might have to tolerate losing out on that one.

This is kind of off topic, but I remember that Tim Scruggs had a policy in effect, that he would not do any repair work on one of his own cues, if it had been previously repaired by any other person. The only way that he would do any repair work on a cue is if it had not been worked on by himself or his shop partners. I think that this is something I read on his website a long time ago (back in around 2008, when I had a Scruggs cue, that I thought about getting refinished). It might have just been a refinishing policy though. Anyways, if I remember correctly, then I do not think he would have done any repair work on a cue that had been worked on by some other repair person (which may have removed the logo during a repair).

The TS sneaky petes are probably like some of the paintings, I was watching something on fake paintings and they said that there were about 450 paintings of an artist in collections and museums, the issue is that the artist was only know to have painted 350 paintings LOL. It's probably pretty easy to fake a sneaky pete cue to make it look like someone else made it, and TS sneaky petes are well know as cues that he made. If he made 200 of them, there are probably 300 in the market LOL.

You guys probably remember that company what was putting fake but almost not fake Joss cues out there along with a few other brands. Predator also but they spelled it Preadotor or something, with the same design and logo. I think they were on eBay for a very long time even though we were reporting them as fakes.

This is off topic, but I once ordered a brand new TS true sneaky directly from Scruggs (back in the late 90's), and I hated it. It had such a horrible taper on the shaft. It was a true sneaky (no joint collar). I remember thinking that maybe he just took a Valley house cue, cut it in half, refinished it, put a TS logo on it, and put a piloted 5/16x14 joint on it. It just did not seem like a well made sneaky to me. The points were short, and uneven, and the woods were very plain looking, with a straight grain maple forearm. I think I only paid like $175 for it though (directly from Scruggs). I played with it for like a grand total of a half an hour, and then sold it to a guy down in Cape Girardeau MO for like $110, if I remember correctly. Anyways, yeah, I imagine that it would not be hard to make a fake Scruggs sneaky, because I do not think that many of the cheaper ones were very well made. The one I had was just horrible in my opinion, but the guy who purchased it fell in love with it, and it was his main player. I do not know, maybe it was just way too stiff of a hitter for me.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a TNS maker, but that's Tom Migliorie (or TNS cues). Other than what was stated above and this, not sure.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D