Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue & Case Gallery
Reload this Page I'm a bit confused about Schon SL-7
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

01-22-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojarraman View Post
I'm not quite sure WTF you're talking about. If you care to be more specific and find words that pool players don't use, then point them out and I'll try to redact them for your benefit and anybody else's. On second thought, maybe not. How bout just GTFO and find another thread?
I was not making fun of you. I just did not understand your post.
And being new here and telling people to GTFO is not very nice.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow-still in testing
Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#17)
cueaddicts
AzB Gold Member
cueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 12000

01-22-2014, 07:45 AM

Answer to the OP's question (I think, lol)....Schon has rehashed/reused previous designs over the years. No cause for alarm.

cueaddicts.weebly.com

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears."
—Robert T. Jones.........(The same can also be said for pocket billiards.)

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
—Alexander Hamilton

Old
  (#18)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member
mojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-22-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieB View Post
I believe he is just asking you to eschew obfuscation.
Actually, that's nearly what was said. Close enough for hand grenades. So there were three posters, rather, (I think - I'm estimating - three amongst all the garbage so-called "responses") now who made honest attempts at assisting. My thanks to those three.
The questions I (somewhat obliquely) posed will be answered, in due time, of course. No biggie. I generally really like Schon cues - I'm pretty sure I do anyway.. I might even buy one. Mortuary Mike has been real helpful to me as his time permits but Schon is outside his scope. I could write Schon, I think. "Evan" is whom I might ask, apparently, but another few minutes "research" on my part might make clearer if correspondence w/ Schon as a company is apt.
I'm grateful for the three tidbits (and at least one was a try at full thoroughness I think) and of course will call T. B. or somebody if it comes to it, and although one of his entry level Hueblers (he thinks) will likely suit; I really try avoid burdening any one person too much. MM has been gracious and generous of his expertise, and surely admire the Coker cues but...well...they're beautiful like nearly all genuine custom cues I've seen but...if I could afford a 4 digit cue or two or three or four this week ... Terry and/or Mike seem quite helpful and reasonable like all good red-blooded Americans it seems ... at least the majority of the time ... I can get almost on their wavelength after some homework and the conversation isn't lengthy - which inevitably might lose me in the minutia if too involved. One kind European or Asian gal here at AZB sent me a nicely detailed (in terms of hyperlinks) explanatory PM (on a totally unrelated subject) which I'd solicited, and she surely didn't see any need to deride me for the nature of my good/bad/indifferent prose for better or for worse.
If I said (or implied) ANYTHING disparaging WHATSOEVER about any "local" Schon SL-7 I did so out of honest naivete'; but the fact is, the diamond inlays are of obvious lesser precision, although the rest of the cue might be of greater, and I believe the seller is offering EXACTLY what he believes to be of the true quality of the cue - which he and I both agreed was very near "95% condition" w/ a perfect condition shaft and nearly perfect butt in terms of nicks/dings (but maybe not urethane?) and identified as an "SL-7" ... my offering to him (in cash in person) was maybe 25% under his rock bottom, and we parted company amicably and I left his home without any nasty commentary from him RE diction/syntax. Anyhow, that cue is absolutely not presently being marketed publicly - is my impression. It may be sold later, it might not. FWIW he told me, and I quote, "Because of the provenance of the cue, it's worth more," and I mentioned "Yes, I can see that the history of the cue may have some bearing - sadly I've no more disposable income at this point or maybe even this month." Anybody who doesn't know the meaning of any words in the former few clauses - or wouldn't bother w/ a lexicon - maybe should consider sticking to pool and not school. Nothing personal, If one were to ask politely, I'm sure I'd have no problem explaining to the best of my ability if my use of the subjunctive is inept. I mightn't be the best composer of notes in my neighborhood, but I don't hammer those encountered (randomly) for using "two bit words" no matter how perspicacious we'd all "so desperately want to appear." Jeez. If pool/billiards and/or my life revolved around a massive vocabulary then things might be different. Anyhow, a few jerks have tried to hijack this inquiry for some weird reason, but I'm not knowledgeable of "inside baseball" any more or less than "inside pool" so I suppose it's anybody's guess.

Old
  (#19)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member
mojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond reputemojarraman has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
I was not making fun of you. I just did not understand your post.
And being new here and telling people to GTFO is not very nice.
You were making fun of me? Why would you try to do that? What were you actually
contributing? You seem unclear.

Whuddaya mean "new here" As far as I know you're new here ... this is my thread FWIW so YOU are new here LOL
how do u know i'm new? whadaya follow a new guy or something? i go for gals, not guys, i don't necessarily dig it too much being followed around - new or old - by a fella. so there's "old here" i spse how old r u? respect for elders?

squatters rights?

i guess if somebody spends all their time on a forum they're "old here" and suck up to whomever they please and try to be asinine to whomever? should i care?. really don't. why should I? .. there's never much interest whatsoever in old here. especially not "nice" old guys here who want to give candy to the new boy here or some utterly weird thing ... no siree bob nope you musta got me confused w/ somebody else ... "gee i own this block and give out candy to the new guys" nope, not me, doesn't pertain...i can't figure for the life of me what YOU contributed to this here little "nice" discussion

Last edited by mojarraman; 01-22-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Old
  (#20)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member

01-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueaddicts View Post
Answer to the OP's question (I think, lol)....Schon has rehashed/reused previous designs over the years. No cause for alarm.
Thank you Sean. What you've mentioned seems consistent w/ the one or two responses thus far. I was under the impression someone (at some point) who's really into Schon might know the chronology of how/when the diamond inlays got "fuzzier";
HOWEVER, as you've put "no alarm" (I'd tend to think makes good sense) then maybe the variations of the SL-7 in time are literally inconsequential in any/every respect. NONETHELESS it (the local cue) is indeed an SL-7 and not an R-12 (as one poster nearly suggested it might be). I firmly believed it was not an R-12 from the get-go. ... Blue Book, palmercues.com, several posts at AZB &tc. all helped make that abundantly clear (I think). I appreciate it Sean, beings I'm almost (or maybe even fully) able to say, "case closed." If there were any greater detail RE the provenance of subtle design flux w/r/t the SL-7 (or SL series in general) and someone kindly posted it (if it existed) that's cool, and if not, that's cool too.
Best,
Paul

Old
  (#21)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You were making fun of me? Why would you try to do that? What were you actually
contributing? You seem unclear.
Let it rest.

I woke up.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.

Old
  (#22)
cueaddicts
AzB Gold Member
cueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 12000

01-22-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you Sean. What you've mentioned seems consistent w/ the one or two responses thus far. I was under the impression someone (at some point) who's really into Schon might know the chronology of how/when the diamond inlays got "fuzzier";
HOWEVER, as you've put "no alarm" (I'd tend to think makes good sense) then maybe the variations of the SL-7 in time are literally inconsequential in any/every respect. NONETHELESS it (the local cue) is indeed an SL-7 and not an R-12 (as one poster nearly suggested it might be). I firmly believed it was not an R-12 from the get-go. ... Blue Book, palmercues.com, several posts at AZB &tc. all helped make that abundantly clear (I think). I appreciate it Sean, beings I'm almost (or maybe even fully) able to say, "case closed." If there were any greater detail RE the provenance of subtle design flux w/r/t the SL-7 (or SL series in general) and someone kindly posted it (if it existed) that's cool, and if not, that's cool too.
Best,
Paul
Paul, I've seen identical old R-series models, one with a "fuzzy" or rounded diamond inlays and one with diamonds having razor sharp corners. Also, some brand new ones with each style of diamonds. It just seems like however they approach building certain Schon cues. Best to you,

cueaddicts.weebly.com

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears."
—Robert T. Jones.........(The same can also be said for pocket billiards.)

" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
—Alexander Hamilton

Old
  (#23)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member

01-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
Let it rest.
I do as I please. Kiss my sweet cheeks.

Old
  (#24)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member

01-22-2014, 10:36 AM

"Paul, I've seen identical old R-series models, one with a "fuzzy" or rounded diamond inlays and one with diamonds having razor sharp corners. Also, some brand new ones with each style of diamonds. It just seems like however they approach building certain Schon cues. Best to you"

Great info. Thanks Kindly

Old
  (#25)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Did you buy this cue or are you thinking about buying it?

Old
  (#26)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member

01-22-2014, 10:47 AM

saw it in a college textbook somewhere
that's why you couldn't ID it I spse

Old
  (#27)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member

01-22-2014, 10:57 AM

I'm Alabama bound
And if the train don't stop and turn around
I'm Alabama bound
Oh, don't you leave me here
Oh, don't you leave me here
But if you must go anyhow
Just leave a dime for beer
Oh don't you be like me
Drink your good sweet cherry wine
And let that whiskey be
Well your hair don't curve
And your eyes ain't blue
Well if you don't want me, Polly Ann
Well I don't want you

Skynyrd did a version called "Mississippi Kid," w/ a top flight blues harp solo, but Louis Jordan's jump blues version almost takes the cake. I dunno if I ever heard the Huddie Leadbetter, Leadbelly original. Hey, that gives me an idea...gonna give a belly full 'o lead...KS is conceal/carry so we's cun keeps weselves PROtected ... that way in Bammy?

Old
  (#28)
mojarraman
AzB Silver Member

01-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Just leave a dime for bur...thataway my old belly full o' lead n bur 'll fal purt nice rawt abowt thur!

Old
  (#29)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Alabama is open carry. We like it that way down here......but I don't see what this has to do with the question I asked. I like that cue and I've never seen a Schon like this one.

Old
  (#30)
measureman
AzB Silver Member

01-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I do as I please. Kiss my sweet cheeks.
I was just trying to make peace. You are an idiot.

I woke up.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: