An artistic billiards competition

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a final match at Artistic Billiards which is a form of carom billiards that has been around for about 100 years as an organized competition. You will see some shots that look impossible. The balls and table are not doctored (although they may need a doctor after these shots :)).

Some of the shots have no cushion required. Some require all balls to end up in a quarter-circle. Some require more than three cushions.

Among the shots are some piqués.

In the competition, both players try the same shots. Each gets three tries with varying points according to the difficulty of the shots. Misses are not counted against except as a tiebreaker, I think. Only the good shots are shown in this video with the exception of one shot that's within a mm of scoring.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob,

Just amazing.......makes me feel like a newbie and I’ve played 3 cushion for well over 50 years.

Thanks......a real treat to view.

Matt B.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
And at least one fouetté...

But what the hell kind of ferrule is this?

pj
chgo

tip-ferrule.jpg

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a final match at Artistic Billiards which is a form of carom billiards that has been around for about 100 years as an organized competition. You will see some shots that look impossible. The balls and table are not doctored (although they may need a doctor after these shots :)).

Some of the shots have no cushion required. Some require all balls to end up in a quarter-circle. Some require more than three cushions.

In the competition, both players try the same shots. Each gets three tries with varying points according to the difficulty of the shots. Misses are not counted against except as a tiebreaker, I think. Only the good shots are shown in this video with the exception of one shot that's within a mm of scoring.
Bob, for the record , in this vid the -1st- referee , Patrice aka "Pat' , is Hector's close friend, one of his masters in the learning path of the game, and , of course, one of his favorite "sparring partner" .
(The 2d referee in the vid is Fabrice , Pat and him are members of the same billard club, in Marseille, France . Hectors lives around Marseille too)
nota : when it comes to play 3 cushions, Jean Reverchon isn't a newbie , his general & annual average being around 1.4 ...

Last edited:

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very impressive. I have to say I like this better than the typical (American?) artistic pool competitions where they end up using props like cue sticks, racks, pill bottles, etc. It just gets to gimmicky for me although, I’ll admit, I gotta love a good boot shot. This is really cool.

CanadianGuy

well yeah the difference between truly tough stroke shots and gimmicky set up trick shots

I've seen a ton of American and Canadian pro players do exhibitions and only Earl ever incorporated tough stroke shots

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
well yeah the difference between truly tough stroke shots and gimmicky set up trick shots

I've seen a ton of American and Canadian pro players do exhibitions and only Earl ever incorporated tough stroke shots
Mike Massey routinely shot stroke shots in exhibitions that very few other pro players would attempt.
Cowboy Jimmy Moore probably shot more skill shots than the rest of them put together.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

But you ain’t seen too many South American or European ones tho

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Artistic Billiards is fun to watch. Some of our shots are derived from this. I believe there are times where silicone is applied to the cue ball but I don't have the program to see. I saw an artistic billiards demo at the SBE years back and the first thing the guy did was spray silicone on a towel and wipe the cue ball. Silicone or not, it is still very impressive.