Compared to impossible, difficult feels easy.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I constantly marvel at how much easier this game is than I used to think. I didn't have instruction growing up and took a 5,000 mile road to get to where I am, and it turns out there was a 500 mile path. Still a difficult game, but after trying the impossible for years or decades sometimes difficult feels easy!

In this post I'll share the shortest path to top pool, the path most people take, and the skills you should be working on.

To get to the top you must do these things:

1. Reasonable fundamentals. I'm not picky. All I ask is a good pre-shot routine and a relaxed stroke. I've helped beginners achieve this in one session. Don't make a mountain of a molehill. This isn't hard.

2. Core vertical axis shots. There are just a few shots you must have mastered on the vertical axis. Draws, stuns, etc. But you must learn these shots well and have good swing speed and tip accuracy.

3. Sidespin shots. Bert Kinister was on the right track
but had too many shots in my opinion. Personally I have picked 6 shots with side-spin that you can learn that will account for the vast majority of scenarios. Learn the deflection of your shaft so you can make these routine shots with spin and know how to achieve the right cue ball targets on the table.

4. Patterns. Learn to build table runs using ONLY THESE DOZEN SHOTS.

See, the secret is that these shots I have described are all easy, high percentage, 90-95%+ type of shots. By learning correct patterns you can run through table after table using only shots these shots that you are friends with and like.

Most pool players never master these core shots, and they sure don't understand how to play patterns and use them as a path through a table run. Instead they have mediocre understanding of these shots and patterns, and as a result they are constantly leaving themselves off the path and are trying to machete hack their way through the dense forest, leaving themselves awkward angles that require excessive speed or spin, difficult to pocket shots, over balls and on rails, or any number of shots that are far out of the 90%+ make range.

Then they wonder why they aren't consistent. On their best day (when they are feeling good, their speed control is on point, they get some momentum going) they manage to bomb their way through a few racks and feel like they know how to play. They assume they need to get more consistent doing what they're already doing. First they try countless hours of practice. Then they think it's a fundamentals issue. Finally they decide either 1) some of us just weren't given the talent, or 2) I don't have enough time, if I didn't have a job/family then I'd be a world champion. WRONG. The truth is they don't play correctly and will never be a consistent table runner when every table run depends on their making a series of trick shots.

So if you're practicing hard shots or throwing a ton of hours trying to brute force your way through then you're taking a very scenic route towards good pool. The answer is to spend more time on the basic shots so you master them to the point you can thread your way through racks leaving yourself ONLY more basic shots. ANYONE can learn to beat the 10 ball ghost or run 100 in straight pool. Keep it simple. It's not hard. It' either easy or impossible.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
By the way...I didn't mean to minimize the importance of a good stroke and pre-shot routine. And while I said it wasn't that complicated that was because I was on a rant and prone to a bit of exaggeration. By itself it's not hard, but I will admit for people that have been doing it wrong for many years it can be difficult to make adjustments.

I, myself, relearned my stroke at the end of 2017 thanks to some feedback from Jerry Brieseth. It helped me quite a bit.

I don't consider myself a fundamentals guru and when people ask me about these things I recommend Scott L, Randy G, Dr. Dave, and others who know more about it. Just want to give credit to where credit is due. I appreciate these people crusading to help players smooth out their game and open up their door to quality play and accurate cueing.

My posts tend to be aimed more at players who are advanced and stuck.

MakeTheSix

Registered
Awesome post, hard to believe it hasn’t gotten more conversation.

Many (like myself) have spent hour after hour working to achieve perfect fundamentals. We switch shafts and tips and chalk every time something new promises to make us better. We strive to find exactly what our practice session should look like in order for it to be perfect. Then when we finally get to the table it is likely that we just bang balls around for a bit and unscrew.

Time to take the easy (or, easier) route. Thanks for the message.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Make the Six. Anyone trying to improve should take this seriously.

Oh, I know there is a lot more to pool. The break, safeties, kicking, jumping, mental game, sighting (shout out to my man Geno), and of course many hours of competitive experience to get to the top. But I'm not talking about what someone needs to do to beat Josh Filler. And I'm not acting like this is secret knowledge or new information. Here on this forum we have a lot of players that can talk about a good stroke and good pre-shot routine. Furthermore you can see the top players and what they do with their stroke. So no excuse for a serious player to not have good fundamentals. If you do, great. If not, know they are important and work with a good instructor to firm them up. I put some names above I recommend.

And the core shots aren't a secret either. I'm talking about your vertical axis shots: Stop, follow, draw, and stuns. Straight in, and then knowing how cut angle/tip placement/swing speed blend together. You need to own the stun line, feel comfortable with the wagon wheel drill, and developing good tip accuracy. These shots will be 50% of the shots you need to run rotation racks.

The side spin shots are straight Bert Kinister as I've said before. I have six of his shots I believe are paramount and think it could've been simplified beyond even the 30 or so he laid out. These account for another 40% of the shots you need.

Anyone that has a good pre-shot and has mastered the wagon wheel drill and those B.K. shots will find themselves running the table some of the time. Players in the 540-700 Fargo Rate range have already done this to a large extent.

What I am saying is for players in that range, to finish the pool masters degree it's a matter of getting better at these easy shots (in terms of being able to control the cue ball on easy shots with natural movements) more precisely and learning to connect them so you can continue to leave yourself more of the same easy shots.

Ready for this? I believe most 550 Fargo Rate players already have the physical skills to break 650 FR (I also believe most 650-700 FR players could pick up a quick 25 points, I know some 725s that make the game way too hard). 550s aren't limited by their skill set. They are limited with their pattern choices. They simply don't understand how many games they give up by not taking their patterns seriously. I've really wondered why this is but I've got some theories: One is that unlike shot-making which gives clear, immediate feedback when a mistake is made, pattern mistakes aren't revealed until several shots later (often a gradual spiral out of control) so people don't notice how far back the spiral began. They don't even know they made a mistake. Some people are so used to relying on recovery shots for their run outs they just think that is how pool is played. Some don't like that part of the game and just want to run around and fire balls in, so they don't work on what they don't like. And of course many people have been stuck for years so already have a list of excuses (talent/time) as to why they aren't getting better. Think about what I'm saying. Some of you can pick up 100 Fargo Points with no physical improvement simply by learning to love pattern study and finding ways to add small percentages to every transition.

Oh, and the 550's that do have to get slightly better at their execution will get better more quickly when they start asking for more precision from their cue ball on their easy shots. But it will never happen if they don't see the benefit and how it leads to success. As long as they bomb their way through racks half the time they think they're doing it right and are just inconsistent. When they do ask for more from themselves they'll get more, it starts from asking.

I can prove it. When I set up a run for my students I mark the balls. They shoot it their way and we see how that works. Then I talk through the layout, demo how I'd do it, and have them work on each transition a couple of times so they understand how I'm hitting the shots. In minutes I have them running through a layout they couldn't before and doing it consistently. So yes, there is work to be done, but most of it is planning and knowing what work to do. And again, not to be mysterious, it inevitably comes down to being able to establish and then hit optimal positional targets off easy shots. That is really it. Maybe I should video an example of a "Before and after" with a student trying to run a rack. It's pretty eye opening which is why I'm so fired up about this.

I have other examples. I have identified several youtube videos of pros that I find very instructive. I am happy to start posting these videos along with some of my take-aways on what I see that others might miss. I posted something about Ralf Soquet but didn't explain why I was so enamored with his 4 rack run. Unfortunately it is pulled from YouTube now and I don't have a hard copy. I did save copies of the other videos I want to highlight. I might even be up for running a zoom meeting where I do some in depth rack analysis of some of these. I did one of these last week with a group of my bootcamp students and it was a blast. Two hours and they each took away quite a bit. One of them said that while they learned a lot, the most important thing was the reminder of how much of a priority I make pattern play. I fight for every inch and every percent. I don't think I'm good enough to spot the world a handspan and shoot my way out of it. But I am good enough to buzz-saw the 10 ball ghost without having to make a hard shot. So there is that.

Last edited:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TinMan. I love your post, always must read.

I totally understand what you are saying. I just got my home table finally. And I’m really working on mastering the shots you are talking about.

I started playing in 2013. Played for 5 years and then have taken the last two off til I got my table 2 weeks ago.

I got to a point after 5 years where, I got stuck. I didn’t even realize it. I was better than most people that play pool, but what was keeping me from being a player that would have a 650+ Or maybe 700 Fargo rate? It’s exactly what you talked about. Relying too much on shot making instead of staying in line, playing proper patterns etc...

I’ve started mixing playing the 9 ball ghost with playing straight pool and equal offense. I find the two latter really make me play patterns properly. I used to think straight pool must be an easy game because you can shoot any ball. Boy was I wrong.

Anyways... thanks for your post, I can totally relate and appreciate what you are saying.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you drv4!

One test for anyone's rotation patterns is my "3 time drill" linked below. I invented this end of 2019 and I believe it to be the best drill for patterns. Why? It magnifies the flaws in our shot selections and cue ball carelessness so they are visible to the naked eye. It turns 95% shots into 75% shots, 75% shots into 33% shots, and <50% shots into <5% shots.

If you can run out sometimes but can't beat this drill, it is because of patterns. The ONLY way through is to stay on the sidewalk of 95% shots and avoid the balance beams and tight ropes. That's the only path.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=508162

So congrats on your home table. Let me know how you do!

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you drv4!

One test for anyone's rotation patterns is my "3 time drill" linked below. I invented this end of 2019 and I believe it to be the best drill for patterns. Why? It magnifies the flaws in our shot selections and cue ball carelessness so they are visible to the naked eye. It turns 95% shots into 75% shots, 75% shots into 33% shots, and <50% shots into <5% shots.

If you can run out sometimes but can't beat this drill, it is because of patterns. The ONLY way through is to stay on the sidewalk of 95% shots and avoid the balance beams and tight ropes. That's the only path.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=508162

So congrats on your home table. Let me know how you do!

Thanks! I will definitely give the “3 time drill” some run on the table. Good luck whenever you get in action!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
By the way...I didn't mean to minimize the importance of a good stroke and pre-shot routine. And while I said it wasn't that complicated that was because I was on a rant and prone to a bit of exaggeration. By itself it's not hard, but I will admit for people that have been doing it wrong for many years it can be difficult to make adjustments.

I, myself, relearned my stroke at the end of 2017 thanks to some feedback from Jerry Brieseth. It helped me quite a bit.

I don't consider myself a fundamentals guru and when people ask me about these things I recommend Scott L, Randy G, Dr. Dave, and others who know more about it. Just want to give credit to where credit is due. I appreciate these people crusading to help players smooth out their game and open up their door to quality play and accurate cueing.

My posts tend to be aimed more at players who are advanced and stuck.

Advanced and stuck usually equals fundamental flaws. The foundation work is not glamorous but it pays good.
I supplemented my income playing pool with such a basic game.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
fundamentals

Advanced and stuck usually equals fundamental flaws. The foundation work is not glamorous but it pays good.
I supplemented my income playing pool with such a basic game.

I have a love/hate attitude about fundamentals. I understand fundamentals are very important. For those who haven't developed a good stroke and pre-shot routine generally won't get as far without them (although I got pretty darn far as did many champions of the past). That's why I have that as a number one on the road map.

So why would I disagree with you? How could wanting to improve fundamentals be bad? Well, it's because I absolutely don't believe that's what's keeping advanced players stuck.

Imagine a player attempts to practice a run out in a very difficult fashion resulting in several really challenging shots to execute (say two shots that are 70% make and one shot that is 50%). Imagine this player is 600 FR and can run tables and move the cue ball around, and that they have a good pre-shot routine and a reasonably good stroke. Now imagine that they run this table 25% of the time.

This isn't because of their fundamentals! It is because they are choosing a path resulting in shots with a cumulative fail rate of 75% (70% x 70% x 50% means you are only succeeding 25% of the time)! They can stroke into a coke bottle for 20 years waiting until they are so perfect they turn all of those hard shots into easy shots, but it will never happen because pool is simply too difficult. Maybe they get a little better, but they're not going to get to where they are running that layout 90% of the time like the pros do.

The only path forward from here is to learn how to play patterns to avoid anything harder than 95% whenever possible and then accept the occasional 70% when there is no way around it. By doing this you make most layouts into a 90% run with a few that are 50-75%. That is how you roast the 10 ball ghost.

So fundamentals are important, but if they aren't your true weak link and you misdiagnose your game than the belief that is the path forward can cause players literally decades of frustration. They keep wondering why they can't learn to make everything all the time instead of just playing the game right. As for me, I was a top player even when my fundamentals were shaky because my shots were so easy it didn't matter. Honestly I'd rather bet on the guy with the patterns rather than the fundamentals. But if you want to be your best you'd better do both.

In working with my advanced students some have had room to improve on their fundamentals but in no cases was that the biggest issue holding them back. With beginners and intermediates, yes. Advanced, no.

Last edited:

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post-thx sharing

I agree. I went through the kinister shot drills and they are very good-just a lot of shots.
I also agree/have clearly learned that if one’s fundamentals have them able to play reasonably well and run some racks, then it’s likely issues with poor decisions, patterns, the break, or a few position shots that they always hit bad.
When one is practicing seriously, you quickly learn what you do, or do not do well.
Spend the time on that-that’s why I like your 3 try drill.
I firmly believe that once a guy can get around pretty good on a number of 9 ball racks, most players will find their inability to get out comes down to poor pattern play and a few key shots that are executed poorly, then mental mistakes-thx again
Ray

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You confirmed my theory that the great players just put it all together better than most. I can do everything you do but not as consistently

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Excellent post for sure, Tin Man, but limited.

What about defense, kicking/jumping, two way shots, and general tactical conceptualization? As much as anything else, the Filipino invasion of the 1990s and beyond was built on superiority in these areas as the ability to make the shots. Europe, in eight straight Mosconi Cups, used a similar formula to make our players look awfully one-dimensional. In fact, 2019 was the first year in which it was clear that the US was taking all aspects of excelling at pool seriously, not just offensive execution, and we're, at long last, reaping the benefits of a more comprehensive approach to the pursuit of playing excellence.

To be great at pool, one must excel in both conceptualization and execution, and to me, you've only provided the road map for execution.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
agree/disagree

Excellent post for sure, Tin Man, but limited.

What about defense, kicking/jumping, two way shots, and general tactical conceptualization? As much as anything else, the Filipino invasion of the 1990s and beyond was built on superiority in these areas as the ability to make the shots. Europe, in eight straight Mosconi Cups, used a similar formula to make our players look awfully one-dimensional. In fact, 2019 was the first year in which it was clear that the US was taking all aspects of excelling at pool seriously, not just offensive execution, and we're, at long last, reaping the benefits of a more comprehensive approach to the pursuit of playing excellence.

To be great at pool, one must excel in both conceptualization and execution, and to me, you've only provided the road map for execution.

Hey Stu! Yes, we talked about this at the DCC. I agree that to be a champion you have to be rounded in all parts of the game. Generating opportunities from the break, grappling for opportunities with safeties/kicks/jumps, then converting on those opportunities with consistent run outs.

All of the players that bootcamp with me get time in those areas. Players who want to go to DCC type events need to learn the 9 on the spot break and have a plan on what to expect. End game safeties, toy games involving 3 balls and a mandatory push, common safeties, kicking systems as needed with some basic theories of what to do, etc. And that is something I definitely spend time with on my long term students and the youth players I am grooming.

Here's the rub though. Most players aren't trying to contend for world titles. The majority of my students are 450-650 Fargo Rate and haven't improved in years or decades. Most of them have the goal of being able to win some local tournaments and compete regionally. And while I agree you need all skills to be world class, you can dominate local competition with just a good runout game. Local players give you all the opportunities you need. Even if you break bad, can't jump, kick poorly, and play mediocre safeties, if you develop a consistent run out game then you can knock on the door of 700 FR which is where most players aspire to. Your competition just hangs up too many balls and gives up too many scratches to fight back against a player with a good, clean run out game.

Is that all I want for them? Is that all I work on? No. I want them to develop all skills to take pressure off their run out game and allow them to find out exactly how far they can go. Part of the goal is to set long term goals with action plans with those areas being critical. But another goal is to pull a few levers to maximize their short term improvement and help them see enough progress to keep their dreams of pool greatness alive. For that I have to show them how to start running tables consistently. While all skills are required at the professional level, these skills are required at all levels.

I know you are passionate about developing a rounded game and I agree with you. I just want people to stop playing themselves out of line when they do get ball in hand. There is no reason to leave yourself anything that can be missed.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
core shots

Tin Man - Am I missing something? Where do I view the dozen shots you refer to?

No problem. I've posted this stuff scattered across multiple threads and was a bit vague here. Here goes:

Vertical shots: Stop, follow, draw, and everything in between (drag draws, punch follows, punch draws where you shoot firm and just back the cue ball up a few inches or a foot). These shots must be mastered. Both straight in (only variables being tip placement and swing speed) and at angles (adding cut angle to the other two variables). Drills that will teach these are Joe Tucker's 5 hit drill where you shoot straight in shots using stops, follows, draws, punch follows, and punch draws. The wagon wheel where you use just top and bottom to hit all target balls (Dr. Dave has a video on this I believe). And the 'no rail' drill where you have 15 balls on the table spread out away from rails and away from each other and have to run them all without touching a rail with the cue ball. This no rail drill forces good planning and a mastery of short distance cue ball movements, stop here, 3" stun there, slight punch draw at an angle to come back diagonally 4" here, etc. Oh, and most important the soft stun, using a deep draw tip placement with minimum cue ball speed to hold the slide while pocketing the ball to minimize cue ball travel along the stun line. Those are your vertical tools.

Side spin shots. Bert Kinister has those on lock. He has a 60 minute workout on his website where he outlines 30 or so key shots. I've boiled it down to six. I don't know which numbers they are off hand and frankly I hesitate as I feel we should all do our part to ship him the $5 he charges to unlock them. His genius is worth so much more. Anyway the only difference between me and BK is he talks about going to a target in the middle of the table. I always have two versions of each shot: Middle of the table, then extended to the side rail and beyond for shape on a ball on the end rail. OK, so I guess I'll list them. Please ship BK $5 on his website if you fine this valuable.

1. One is a high inside 3 railer (cutting a ball down the side rail and going 3 rails to get back to the middle of the table) you have target A which is middle of the table, but I also shoot it with target B, hitting the 4th rail to obtain shape for a ball on the opposite end rail. This is one of my key six.

2, Another is the cut in the side going 3 rails to the middle (A) or 4/5 rails to the opposite end rail (B).

3. Another is shooting a hanging ball from the side rail connected to it, then using high outside to go 2 rails to the middle (A) or 3 rails to the bottom of the side rail you are shooting from for shape on the opposite end rail (B).

4. Object ball on end rail, cue ball with a 45 degree angle, use high inside to go (A) two rails to the middle of the table, or (B) 3 rails through middle to opposite side rail for shape on ball on opposite end rail.

5. Next is the same shot only using low outside to go (A) two rails to the middle of the table, or (B) 3 rails through middle to opposite side rail for shape on ball on opposite end rail.

6. Cue ball starts in middle, cut object ball 6" off side rail into corner and use low/outside to stun/spin one rail back to (A) middle of table, or (B) to side rail you're standing over for shape on a ball on the opposite end rail.

Those are most of the shots you need to play strong pool.

Now, mastering those shots isn't easy. There are a lot of nuances depending on the approach angle of your shot, how full or thin you are. There are differing amounts of spin, and your speed can vary, spin can be in effect on the second rail or it can be rolling naturally on the second rail to change rebound angles, you can use more or less to bend the lines, etc. And there are a few other shots you'll need of course. But what I've been amazed at is that most players fail either because they haven't truly mastered these shots or because they haven't learned to put them together correctly.

That is what I'm passionate about as you can tell. The truth is Chris that I am not the world's most talented pool player. My fundamentals are B+ at best, my shot making is nothing to write home about, and my break isn't as good as the top players'. I learned patterns as a necessity because it was the only way I could run tables. But it turns out it took me a long ways. Before I taught pool I knew I played better cue ball than most players, but it wasn't until teaching others that I really got to see how hard most people make this game on themselves. Even many of the 700+ players I see compete are leaking away way too many opportunities.

I read a book on winning mindset once and one thing only stuck in my memory. It said there are three types of people: Optimists that think wins will come easy, optimists that think winning will be very difficult and will involve overcoming a lot of adversity, and pessimists who think the adversity can't be overcome. The point was that pessimism isn't good, but neither is blind optimism. That leads to overconfidence, under-preparation, and a lack of respect for the work that needs to be done. The point was that the cautious optimists may sound negative as they identify the challenges in the way, but they aren't listing them out to be defeated by them, but rather to put together a plan that will overcome them. These are the winners.

I feel I am a cautiously optimistic pool player. I don't run around the table like "If I get out of line I'll just bomb the ball in and run out anyway" which seems to be the attitude most people have that leads them to second rate results. Instead I assume that I can run out if I take every shot seriously and maximize every percentage and avoid every pitfall. Don't get me wrong, if I fail to get where I intended it's important to have a plan B and confidence and competence in your recovery shots. My point is that when jumping from a plane to not pack your first parachute because you're sure the second one will open is a mistake you'll only make once. I don't understand it. In fact I take my patterns more seriously than many players that lack the recovery skills I have. It's not confidence to be reckless. It's amateurish and ineffective.

In conclusion, while we all marvel at the firepower of Filler or Fedor, none of us are likely to reach that level of firepower. That is a road map none of us except a microscopic minority can follow. But what I do can be duplicated by your average player. No perfect fundamentals or eagle eyes required. Just a reasonable pre-shot routine and effective stroke, improved tip and swing speed accuracy, and a fascination in learning how to solve the puzzle of pool with your brain instead of your muscle.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
agreed!

I agree. I went through the kinister shot drills and they are very good-just a lot of shots.
I also agree/have clearly learned that if one’s fundamentals have them able to play reasonably well and run some racks, then it’s likely issues with poor decisions, patterns, the break, or a few position shots that they always hit bad.
When one is practicing seriously, you quickly learn what you do, or do not do well.
Spend the time on that-that’s why I like your 3 try drill.
I firmly believe that once a guy can get around pretty good on a number of 9 ball racks, most players will find their inability to get out comes down to poor pattern play and a few key shots that are executed poorly, then mental mistakes-thx again
Ray

Just saw your post! I agree absolutely. I'm glad to hear you followed up with the BK shots and are seeing some benefits. I know it's hard to keep motivation levels high, particularly when competition is at a simmer right now. Hang in and as opportunities to compete arise you'll be remotivated and better prepared. You're the man!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
agreed

You confirmed my theory that the great players just put it all together better than most. I can do everything you do but not as consistently

Agreed. I don't consider myself a great by any stretch, the true greats have dedication and competence beyond what I was able to put in and develop. So far at least. But as I mentioned in my last post on page 1, I find it funny how the best players that have the best shooting skills still seem to give more respect to the routine and try to avoid making the game difficult.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hey Stu! Yes, we talked about this at the DCC. I agree that to be a champion you have to be rounded in all parts of the game. Generating opportunities from the break, grappling for opportunities with safeties/kicks/jumps, then converting on those opportunities with consistent run outs.

All of the players that bootcamp with me get time in those areas. Players who want to go to DCC type events need to learn the 9 on the spot break and have a plan on what to expect. End game safeties, toy games involving 3 balls and a mandatory push, common safeties, kicking systems as needed with some basic theories of what to do, etc. And that is something I definitely spend time with on my long term students and the youth players I am grooming.

Here's the rub though. Most players aren't trying to contend for world titles. The majority of my students are 450-650 Fargo Rate and haven't improved in years or decades. Most of them have the goal of being able to win some local tournaments and compete regionally. And while I agree you need all skills to be world class, you can dominate local competition with just a good runout game. Local players give you all the opportunities you need. Even if you break bad, can't jump, kick poorly, and play mediocre safeties, if you develop a consistent run out game then you can knock on the door of 700 FR which is where most players aspire to. Your competition just hangs up too many balls and gives up too many scratches to fight back against a player with a good, clean run out game.

Is that all I want for them? Is that all I work on? No. I want them to develop all skills to take pressure off their run out game and allow them to find out exactly how far they can go. Part of the goal is to set long term goals with action plans with those areas being critical. But another goal is to pull a few levers to maximize their short term improvement and help them see enough progress to keep their dreams of pool greatness alive. For that I have to show them how to start running tables consistently. While all skills are required at the professional level, these skills are required at all levels.

I know you are passionate about developing a rounded game and I agree with you. I just want people to stop playing themselves out of line when they do get ball in hand. There is no reason to leave yourself anything that can be missed.

Thank you for clarifying. Well said!

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem. I've posted this stuff scattered across multiple threads and was a bit vague here. Here goes:

Vertical shots: Stop, follow, draw, and everything in between (drag draws, punch follows, punch draws where you shoot firm and just back the cue ball up a few inches or a foot). These shots must be mastered. Both straight in (only variables being tip placement and swing speed) and at angles (adding cut angle to the other two variables). Drills that will teach these are Joe Tucker's 5 hit drill where you shoot straight in shots using stops, follows, draws, punch follows, and punch draws. The wagon wheel where you use just top and bottom to hit all target balls (Dr. Dave has a video on this I believe). And the 'no rail' drill where you have 15 balls on the table spread out away from rails and away from each other and have to run them all without touching a rail with the cue ball. This no rail drill forces good planning and a mastery of short distance cue ball movements, stop here, 3" stun there, slight punch draw at an angle to come back diagonally 4" here, etc. Oh, and most important the soft stun, using a deep draw tip placement with minimum cue ball speed to hold the slide while pocketing the ball to minimize cue ball travel along the stun line. Those are your vertical tools.

Side spin shots. Bert Kinister has those on lock. He has a 60 minute workout on his website where he outlines 30 or so key shots. I've boiled it down to six. I don't know which numbers they are off hand and frankly I hesitate as I feel we should all do our part to ship him the $5 he charges to unlock them. His genius is worth so much more. Anyway the only difference between me and BK is he talks about going to a target in the middle of the table. I always have two versions of each shot: Middle of the table, then extended to the side rail and beyond for shape on a ball on the end rail. OK, so I guess I'll list them. Please ship BK $5 on his website if you fine this valuable.

1. One is a high inside 3 railer (cutting a ball down the side rail and going 3 rails to get back to the middle of the table) you have target A which is middle of the table, but I also shoot it with target B, hitting the 4th rail to obtain shape for a ball on the opposite end rail. This is one of my key six.

2, Another is the cut in the side going 3 rails to the middle (A) or 4/5 rails to the opposite end rail (B).

3. Another is shooting a hanging ball from the side rail connected to it, then using high outside to go 2 rails to the middle (A) or 3 rails to the bottom of the side rail you are shooting from for shape on the opposite end rail (B).

4. Object ball on end rail, cue ball with a 45 degree angle, use high inside to go (A) two rails to the middle of the table, or (B) 3 rails through middle to opposite side rail for shape on ball on opposite end rail.

5. Next is the same shot only using low outside to go (A) two rails to the middle of the table, or (B) 3 rails through middle to opposite side rail for shape on ball on opposite end rail.

6. Cue ball starts in middle, cut object ball 6" off side rail into corner and use low/outside to stun/spin one rail back to (A) middle of table, or (B) to side rail you're standing over for shape on a ball on the opposite end rail.

Those are most of the shots you need to play strong pool.

Now, mastering those shots isn't easy. There are a lot of nuances depending on the approach angle of your shot, how full or thin you are. There are differing amounts of spin, and your speed can vary, spin can be in effect on the second rail or it can be rolling naturally on the second rail to change rebound angles, you can use more or less to bend the lines, etc. And there are a few other shots you'll need of course. But what I've been amazed at is that most players fail either because they haven't truly mastered these shots or because they haven't learned to put them together correctly.

That is what I'm passionate about as you can tell. The truth is Chris that I am not the world's most talented pool player. My fundamentals are B+ at best, my shot making is nothing to write home about, and my break isn't as good as the top players'. I learned patterns as a necessity because it was the only way I could run tables. But it turns out it took me a long ways. Before I taught pool I knew I played better cue ball than most players, but it wasn't until teaching others that I really got to see how hard most people make this game on themselves. Even many of the 700+ players I see compete are leaking away way too many opportunities.

I read a book on winning mindset once and one thing only stuck in my memory. It said there are three types of people: Optimists that think wins will come easy, optimists that think winning will be very difficult and will involve overcoming a lot of adversity, and pessimists who think the adversity can't be overcome. The point was that pessimism isn't good, but neither is blind optimism. That leads to overconfidence, under-preparation, and a lack of respect for the work that needs to be done. The point was that the cautious optimists may sound negative as they identify the challenges in the way, but they aren't listing them out to be defeated by them, but rather to put together a plan that will overcome them. These are the winners.

I feel I am a cautiously optimistic pool player. I don't run around the table like "If I get out of line I'll just bomb the ball in and run out anyway" which seems to be the attitude most people have that leads them to second rate results. Instead I assume that I can run out if I take every shot seriously and maximize every percentage and avoid every pitfall. Don't get me wrong, if I fail to get where I intended it's important to have a plan B and confidence and competence in your recovery shots. My point is that when jumping from a plane to not pack your first parachute because you're sure the second one will open is a mistake you'll only make once. I don't understand it. In fact I take my patterns more seriously than many players that lack the recovery skills I have. It's not confidence to be reckless. It's amateurish and ineffective.

In conclusion, while we all marvel at the firepower of Filler or Fedor, none of us are likely to reach that level of firepower. That is a road map none of us except a microscopic minority can follow. But what I do can be duplicated by your average player. No perfect fundamentals or eagle eyes required. Just a reasonable pre-shot routine and effective stroke, improved tip and swing speed accuracy, and a fascination in learning how to solve the puzzle of pool with your brain instead of your muscle.
Your shot #1, (Bert #5), is the one I struggle with the most. I can’t quite make it to the center of the table. I’ve seen the pro’s hit this shot in a match and effortlessly go completely around the table. I’ll keep working on it. Thanks Tin Man.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Demetrius, thanks for your response and explanation as to the specific shots. I watched your match at turning stone versus John Morra. Like you said, you are a deliberate cognitive player who plans out everything well in advance of your shots, always thinking at least 3 or 4 balls ahead.

I wish you were closer than Minnesota! Can I assume all of your one day and three day schools are individual one on one, never taking on more than one student at a time?