Westinghouse micarta..?

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where to buy old Westinghouse micarta, that dark yellow one as Scruggs used back then...?

I want that yellow ferrule :)

Thanks

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely....please do report back........it's a terrific substitute instead of ivory ferrules.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can find the very fine weave orange looking linen based micarta that is over 50+ yrs old, you will find it has a better hit than ivory or old yellow micarta.

Attachments

• CIMG1688.jpg
    CIMG1688.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 791

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
There's a cantankerous old fart who sells it here.
But, you have to know the secret hand shake .:D

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Where to buy old Westinghouse micarta, that dark yellow one as Scruggs used back then...?

Thanks

There is some of it around but he's right, you have to know the secret handshake. Lol.

PS- be careful it does have asbestos in it. Wear proper safety equipment when working with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Totally out of my element here... but weren't the rights to produce micarta sold to another company and they're still making it?

Lou Figueroa

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member

Thanks

You can go electrical box hunting, they are in very old 1950's/1960's boxes iirc.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is some of it around but he's right, you have to know the secret handshake. Lol.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yup.

Like brown KU bumpers, Cortland linen, and other such things...it's around.

The secret handshake helps. And it won't be cheap. ;)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple

I have a couple left over. 20 years ago, I bought 4 blanks and used 2 of them on a cue I was having built.

I dont even know what they go for anymore.

I think knifemakers still use that stuff.

Ken

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuesmith.com and cuecomponents.com, both sell micarta ferrules, if this is the real deal or not, I don't know...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuesmith.com and cuecomponents.com, both sell micarta ferrules, if this is the real deal or not, I don't know...

Micarta is a Westinghouse brand.

People are generally looking for asbestos based Micarta when talking ferrules for pool cues.

Lots of Micarta is available...generally not the one people are looking for in ferrules when they ask about the old Micarta.

Are those web sites selling asbestos ferrules? Think about it. It's asbestos. :wink: It's rare. :wink: It's very expensive, costs more than an ivory ferrule generally. :wink:

Now, the "second favorite" is the old paper phenolic, Micarta brand. Not as expensive, not as rare, but still sought after and not cheap. This is what I think th old yellow Schon ferrules were made from. Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Micarta is a brand that was made with various different fiber materials. Usually people mean the old asbestos Westinghouse material when talking about hard to find desirable old ferrules. Not likely advertised on any website as a commonly available supply that you can just call them up and order. :wink:

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Micarta

I just bought a used Musashi shaft and it has an off white or yellow ferrule but not sure what it is made of...It plays nice for sure.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member

People are generally looking for asbestos based Micarta when talking ferrules for pool cues.

Lots of Micarta is available...generally not the one people are looking for in ferrules when they ask about the old Micarta.

Are those web sites selling asbestos ferrules? Think about it. It's asbestos. :wink: It's rare. :wink: It's very expensive, costs more than an ivory ferrule generally. :wink:

Now, the "second favorite" is the old paper phenolic, Micarta brand. Not as expensive, not as rare, but still sought after and not cheap. This is what I think th old yellow Schon ferrules were made from. Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Micarta is a brand that was made with various different fiber materials. Usually people mean the old asbestos Westinghouse material when talking about hard to find desirable old ferrules. Not likely advertised on any website as a commonly available supply that you can just call them up and order. :wink:

Bingo.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Well, according to an expert here, they never had asbestos.
They were just different formulation.

The one that really turned orange-yellow is the most sought after of course.
That's the one that is commonly known as asbestos micarta.

Micarta is now synonymous to phenolic.
http://www.norplex-micarta.com/WhatsNew.aspx
But, the ferrules used were never really phenolic. Except for the breakers now.
They are just too heavy.

I got some of these micartas on ebay by an infamous seller who misrepresents then as westinghouse micarta.
They are really what is commonly known as GE micarta.

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I've always wanted some of this myself,along with the stuff in post #5 above.

In another direction,the stuff known as Mason Micarta is AWFUL good :cool:. Tommy D.