Silver Member
The oil is hot
That video i just found
Was first fillet hittin the pan
Look out

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People....I don't know any of you and probably will never see any of you in my life, but please think about something.
Anybody who tries to convince you that you can take some method of aiming in pool (that they think is wonderful) and you can become proficient with it in 10 minutes or 15 minutes or etc. etc., is either a fool or a liar or both.
THINK....
You can't become proficient at shooting a basketball in 10 minutes.
You can't become proficient at driving a car in 10 minutes.
You can't become proficient at a computer keyboard in 10 minutes.
You can't become proficient at swimming, running, hitting a baseball, hitting a golf ball, throwing darts, shuffling playing cards, boxing, chess, checkers, backgammon, poker....you can't even become really proficient at making love to a woman in that length of time.
Don't believe all that bull some of these people try to tell you or get you to buy. No matter what method you choose to aim a cueball you're still going to have to 'burn the midnight oil' to make it work like you want it to work.
There is no shortcut, the elevator to success doesn't work....you gotta' take the stairs.
:deadhorse:

Man O Man ya got that right.

There is no shortcut, the elevator to success doesn't work....you gotta' take the stairs.

John :)

stockbob55

Registered
People....I don't know any of you and probably will never see any of you in my life, but please think about something.
Anybody who tries to convince you that you can take some method of aiming in pool (that they think is wonderful) and you can become proficient with it in 10 minutes or 15 minutes or etc. etc., is either a fool or a liar or both.
THINK....
You can't become proficient at swimming, running, hitting a baseball, hitting a golf ball, throwing darts, shuffling playing cards, boxing, chess, checkers, backgammon, poker....you can't even become really proficient at making love to a woman in that length of time.

Damn it, I thought that 10 minutes making love to a woman was champion speed :)

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THINK....
Don't believe all that bull some of these people try to tell you or get you to buy. No matter what method you choose to aim a cueball you're still going to have to 'burn the midnight oil' to make it work like you want it to work.

Well stated!

randyg

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
THINK....

Respectfully, I can think of two exceptions:

1) Correcting someone's aim knowledge can improve them greatly, faster than in 10 minutes! (Like the many students who "cheat the pocket" from varying cut angles or don't know where true pocket center is to aim center ob. I show them. Boom!

2) I meet a lot of students who overcut frequently when they miss and/or add a jabbing, hard stroke and/or add outside english (three ways to attempt to counteract throw, consciously or subconsciously). We talk about it, soften their stroke, have them slow down to aim a bit thicker, while "feeling" for the cut, instead of forcing the cut/slamming the balls in. Boom!

I won't add the third way, "secret aim systems I know!" because that's not appropriate to do at AZ. :)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a player has a good repeatable stroke that can deliver the cb accurately, then he or she should be able to make any objective aiming system work well within a few minutes. Naturally if there are things that need to be stored into memory, like Joe Tucker's grid system or my "zone" lines, consistency/proficiency will require repetition. But if I say "aim here", and point to a spot, and you can send the cb to that spot every time, then yes there are aiming systems out there that you can easily be using successfully within 10 or 15 minutes. You might have to keep an illustration handy until you've memorized some things, but you can easily get it working on every shot in a matter of minutes.

And the more you work with it the quicker you can program your brain to recognize the shots automatically without having to use any system at all. That sounds like a shortcut to me. There may not be a quick elevator ride to being an "A" player, but climbing a few stairs sure beats climbing hundreds or thousands.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
If your brain is programmed to recognize the shots automatically you ARE USING THE SYSTEM that got you there (whether you admit or not) but you're recognizing it all in one or two
seconds as opposed to thinking about ball placements on the
table in relationship to the pocket and then picking out
the correlating fractions or other Mosconi book gobbledygook and then aligning to
them.
It's NOT you aren't using any system at all, because a player would be back to square one of hunting and pecking with guesswork and the wonderful overused word
called "FEEL".
Why go through any of that instead of just using the system that works so
well and is ingrained? Doesn't it work all the time? If not, then I say dump that system since it isn't a system at all....it's just more Mosconi Book gobbledygook.
Nothing could be more simple than A, B, C and..SHOOT.
And we can apply those letters to any system except only CTE uses A, B, and C as opposed to 5-6-7-18 contact points or too many fractions to be able to see quickly and easily.
Will contact points and fractions work? Sure they will.
If they're so easy and effective, by all means, USE THEM all the time and ignore us system aiming players and the creators entirely. That's very simple to do also.
:thumbup:

No matter what system you learn, except for CTE apparently, when you finally reach the level of just seeing the shot and automatically knowing it it's called ROTE. You recognize the shot from memory, not because your brain subconsciously ran through the system at lightening speed. Lol. The system is no longer needed because the shot picture from memory is now being used.

According to CTE users this does not apply to them. There is never a shot that you just automatically recognize and move straight into the known aim line through ccb. You always use the perception and inside/outside sweeps or pivots. I do believe though that after doing this long enough you're brain recognizes exactly which perception and which sweep/pivot will be needed. So those steps become automatic. But since CTE users focus on that final ccb, instead of visualizing cb-ob relationships, it is different than non-pivot style aiming methods.

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
People....

I won't disagree with this.. however.. some aiming systems are actually easier to learn.
Aiming systems saying to preform a bunch of antics before you aim at the OB, or look
for more than 1 aiming line, are only making the learning process harder.... Again IMO

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You always use the perception and inside/outside sweeps or pivots. I do believe though that after doing this long enough you're brain recognizes exactly which perception and which sweep/pivot will be needed. So those steps become automatic. .

Yes, it becomes very very easy. The brain takes you right to the perception, and you know we only use a few perceptions

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't disagree with this.. however.. some aiming systems are actually easier to learn.
Aiming systems saying to preform a bunch of antics before you aim at the OB, or look
for more than 1 aiming line, are only making the learning process harder.... Again IMO

Actually, more then one line makes the aiming more exact.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually, more then one line makes the aiming more exact.

I don't see how it's "more exact" than using just one exact aim line, but if it makes you feel like it's more exact then that's all that really matters. I happen to feel like I can look straight through ccb at one exact aim line.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see how it's "more exact" than using just one exact aim line, but if it makes you feel like it's more exact then that's all that really matters. I happen to feel like I can look straight through ccb at one exact aim line.

Cte with it's reference lines locks in and defines CCB. Doesn't get more exact then then that.
You can look through CCB at one aim line but is it really exact. Your experience likes to make you feel it is but does it define CCB exactly. If it doesn't, and it doesn't, how could it be exact.

Like i said when The Truth Series comes out it will be well worth it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So does every aiming method/system - and to each of those few perceptions we add some subconscious "finishing" for each of the myriad cut angles.

Yes, I know you don't get this...

pj
chgo

Your act has gotten extremely old PJ. Stay over in the Mosconi thread, i believe you actually made a valid point or two over there

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Cte with it's reference lines locks in and defines CCB. Doesn't get more exact then then that.
You can look through CCB at one aim line but is it really exact. Your experience likes to make you feel it is but does it define CCB exactly. If it doesn't, and it doesn't, how could it be exact.

Like i said when The Truth Series comes out it will be well worth it.

I understand where you're coming from. But seriously, a locked in or "fixed" cb occurs any time you address ccb from any angle, regardless of whether you use two lines to get you there or simply just look right at it through one line. In other words, walk out to any table with a cb on it and look directly through ccb from where you stand. There will always be "two fixed edges" when you are looking through ccb.