Gold Crown Barn Find

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Logical, your table is slate.

Rexus31, your table is slate.

Ron Padilla, your table is Brunstone.

These photos are great, as they show the clear difference between the two. The color is the easiest identifier. If you are still unsure, you can do a scrape test. Using a razor blade, you can drag the width of the blade across the surface. Slate will scrape a fine layer of powder very easily. Brunstone will not.

Easier yet, I do believe that every Brunstone table that I have ever seen has been marked with 'BS', on the bottom side of each piece.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
02230d233b571de47ccf039f7779b549.jpg
985394574064874d4b14e233ac0a1806.jpg
930ad9f1115ab1fcfe7f43fb3b4d16a0.jpg
this what was on mine and got me some cone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what my CG1 looks like. My feet are stamped '62.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it odd Brustone is not mentioned anywhere on the Brunswick site (at least I couldn't find anything) and all references to the playing surface in the Gold Crown I literature are 1" thick slate.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I find it odd Brustone is not mentioned anywhere on the Brunswick site (at least I couldn't find anything) and all references to the playing surface in the Gold Crown I literature are 1" thick slate.

Same for me when I was researching my CG1 purchase. The only references to brunstone I found were here. Not like I cared. I'm not good enough to tell the difference, and my table plays beautifully.

dd1228

Registered
You think you got a deal! A friend of my said he had a friend that had an old table stored in his garage for 30 years and will give it away to anyone who will haul it away. I already had a nice 9 footer in my home but we went to look at it anyway. Lo and behold it was a Gold Crown 1 or 2. I immediately snatched it up and within two weeks I restored it and now it sits in my home and looks like brand new. From the moment the GC came out in the 60s I wanted one, but dad said no, too expensive. Now 55 years later I have my GC.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think you got a deal! A friend of my said he had a friend that had an old table stored in his garage for 30 years and will give it away to anyone who will haul it away. I already had a nice 9 footer in my home but we went to look at it anyway. Lo and behold it was a Gold Crown 1 or 2. I immediately snatched it up and within two weeks I restored it and now it sits in my home and looks like brand new. From the moment the GC came out in the 60s I wanted one, but dad said no, too expensive. Now 55 years later I have my GC.

Awesome! Any pics to share?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting..."Year of Manufacture From 1981 To 1984"

Now it's even more confusing. Are the pre 1981 Gold Crowns that have Brustone fitted with a replacement paying surface? How can they have Brustone if it didn't come out until 1981?
B'stone was around way before the 80's.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Interesting..."Year of Manufacture From 1981 To 1984"

Now it's even more confusing. Are the pre 1981 Gold Crowns that have Brustone fitted with a replacement paying surface? How can they have Brustone if it didn't come out until 1981?

If you believe that bs, that's during the GC3 production years, almost up to the GC4 production starting. So now what, the mid to end of the GC3 production cycle was Brunstone??....and 1 1/4" thick?....LMAO....yeah, ok!!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you believe that bs, that's during the GC3 production years, almost up to the GC4 production starting. So now what, the mid to end of the GC3 production cycle was Brunstone??....and 1 1/4" thick?....LMAO....yeah, ok!!

I hear you, Glen. You'd think the manufacturer would have a clue but unfortunately, they do not, I even emailed them requesting info on Brustone and when it was first manufactured and they directed me to the links already posted. Pretty sad, actually.

Paul Webster

Registered
Gold crown 1 or 2 paint codes

Does anyone know what the paint codes are for the white, blue and peach color was ? Restoring a GC1 THANK YOU