Old
  (#16)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-22-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookeland Bill View Post
It puts the cue ball in position as if you used a ghost ball to line up your shot. That’s what all of the aiming systems accomplish. They just arrive at the same position under different techniques.
I think you mean it helps you do that. How does pivoting help you more than some other way (if you know)?

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 08-22-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Old
  (#17)
bioactive
AzB Silver Member

bioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond reputebioactive has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Stan has over 100 videos on line. Most are on CTE. They are indecipherable pedantic ramblings. I don't think anyone could possibly understand CTE if they watched every video several times. What makes you think he is going to be able to provide a decipherable explanation in writing?

Old
  (#18)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-22-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioactive View Post
Stan has over 100 videos on line. Most are on CTE. They are indecipherable pedantic ramblings. I don't think anyone could possibly understand CTE if they watched every video several times. What makes you think he is going to be able to provide a decipherable explanation in writing?
They argue it's a simple system.
ABC reference points and half a tip of pivot.
Yet, two dvd's have been put out and countless videos.
Then they argue there are fake CTE's out there too.

The system's illustration should not take more than 2 pages of paper .

Old
  (#19)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, but let's please not argue about that nonsense here. This is about pivoting in general, not one particular version of it.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#20)
anbukev
AzB Silver Member
anbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
It puts the cue ball in position as if you used a ghost ball to line up your shot. That’s what all of the aiming systems accomplish. They just arrive at the same position under different techniques.
I believe this as well. They all get you to the shot line. I consider aiming systems as preshot routines. Find the one that you are comfortable with or take pieces and combine them to make your own. This is one aspect of three things needed to shoot well. The other two aspects are explained here in this article with Ko Pin Yi as the case study.

https://therefinedcueist.wordpress.c.../04/ko-pin-yi/

Old
  (#21)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
If the explanation is not decipherable to you, you'd be kinda' dumb to try and decipher it wouldn't you?
Why not just leave the explanation to those who can decipher it and don't think like you do?
Isn't democracy wonderful.....
Have a nice day

"It is almost impossible to free fools from the chains they revere"

Old
  (#22)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

08-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbukev View Post
I believe this as well. They all get you to the shot line.
Does this even need to be said? Of course it's what all aiming does, or shots wouldn't go in. (However, I'd say "they all help you get to the shot line" - none of them do it for you.)

So how does pivoting in particular help you?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#23)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2019, 10:24 AM

I only consciously pivot on one shot consistently. On a thin cut (let's say to the right) I will aim the right edge of my ferrule to the left edge of the OB, then I pivot a half tip to the left.

I don't know why. I practice this shot probably 20x a day and am currently hitting at about a 97-98% success rate. I think it has to do with not having an exact aim point on the OB. It works for me, even if I don't understand why.

For the majority of shots, I use fractions, poology, and ghost ball depending on the shot and where I want whitey to end up.

Old
  (#24)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
If the explanation is not decipherable to you, you'd be kinda' dumb to try and decipher it wouldn't you?
Why not just leave the explanation to those who can decipher it and don't think like you do?
Isn't democracy wonderful.....
Have a nice day
If the TWO DVD's and hundreds of videos could be deciphered , there would be no need for a book, wouldn't it ?
In fact, YOU can't even explain the process .

Old
  (#25)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

08-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
I only consciously pivot on one shot consistently. On a thin cut (let's say to the right) I will aim the right edge of my ferrule to the left edge of the OB, then I pivot a half tip to the left.

I don't know why. I practice this shot probably 20x a day and am currently hitting at about a 97-98% success rate. I think it has to do with not having an exact aim point on the OB. It works for me, even if I don't understand why.

For the majority of shots, I use fractions, poology, and ghost ball depending on the shot and where I want whitey to end up.
Thanks. Seems like a workable technique for a specific cut angle (thin). I'm also interested in how it helps others find multiple cut angles.

When you aim the edge of your ferrule to the edge of the OB, is your cue pointed through the CB's center?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#26)
Brookeland Bill
AzB Silver Member
Brookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Insufferable is another way to explain it.

Olivier Sneaky Pete
Olivier Custom Four Point
Espirito
Jackson

Old
  (#27)
Brookeland Bill
AzB Silver Member
Brookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Does this even need to be said? Of course it's what all aiming does, or shots wouldn't go in. (However, I'd say "they all help you get to the shot line" - none of them do it for you.)

So how does pivoting in particular help you?

pj
chgo
Patrick, I’m not endorsing the “pivot”. Just pointing out what it accomplishes or what pivot Aimee’s think it accomplishes.

Olivier Sneaky Pete
Olivier Custom Four Point
Espirito
Jackson

Old
  (#28)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2019, 06:56 AM

I pivot to compensate for deflection and that's it. Although it is a part of how I aim, it isn't done simply to help me aim. I line up center cue ball dead red to the ghost ball spot. I've learned by rote the pivot I need for the specific amount of spin and speed I'm looking for. I simply apply the proper pivot and execute the stroke. In my brain I'm not actually changing my aiming point, it is still the ghost ball spot. The actual adjustments needed for squirt, swerve and throw are made subconsciously and naturally.

The aiming systems, imo, are a way of trying to explain things that a lot of us have learned to do without a lot of thought into it, but with a butt load of practice. A reverse engineering of sorts to try and speed up the learning curve. I understand the desire to skip the "hit a million balls" routine. I think there is a bit lost in translation with some of these systems. They seem like they are trying to explain "feel". "Feel" is the true art form of pool, it is the medium in which we work with. No matter how many words You use, you can't simply explain to a musician how to be expressive and emotive, that comes from real world experience. Same thing here. At the end of the day whatever system you use will only get you kind of close, the rest will have to be learned by experience.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#29)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

08-24-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Patrick, I’m not endorsing the “pivot”. Just pointing out what it accomplishes or what pivot Aimee’s think it accomplishes.
And I'm not knocking pivoting - just sincerely asking how it helps those who use it. Thanks for your reply.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#30)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
If the TWO DVD's and hundreds of videos could be deciphered , there would be no need for a book, wouldn't it ?
In fact, YOU can't even explain the process .
Refer again to post #21
Then refer to post #21 again.
Continue to do so for maybe 5 years.
OR...continue to gripe about it.
Have a nice day.

"It is almost impossible to free fools from the chains they revere"

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: