Samba system

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone purchased and used this http://www.infinite-billiards.com/samba/ ??

Happy holidays ... john_oleson@comcast.net

I've read a lot of good comments about it over the last couple of years. Not sure but it sounds like a fractional aiming system, or what some call "target shooting", because Ekkes references specific aim points at the OB end of the shot, classifying shots into categories to help mental recall. I personally like the straight forward target shooting approach. Watching the example Samba videos, it just looks like the player uses his cue to align the aim line toward the ghostball.

Maybe someone else here can give a detailed review. It's a little pricey for me at $55, considering it's a pdf book that you download. That's why I never bought it -- at that price I'd rather have a nice printed book to add to my collection. But it very well could be worth ever penny! :smile:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I certainly wouldn't consider it anything close to fractional aiming. Ekkes is a very nice and bright guy. Had the privilege of spending time with him at DCC a couple of years ago. I think his system can be effective for the player who wants to spend the time learning it and practicing. I certainly prefer Stan's CTE system and think it is more precise. But Ekkes' system has merit. If I didn't use CTE, I would work on samba before fractional aiming.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I certainly wouldn't consider it anything close to fractional aiming. Ekkes is a very nice and bright guy. Had the privilege of spending time with him at DCC a couple of years ago. I think his system can be effective for the player who wants to spend the time learning it and practicing. I certainly prefer Stan's CTE system and think it is more precise. But Ekkes' system has merit. If I didn't use CTE, I would work on samba before fractional aiming.

Why do you not consider fractional aiming as having merit? Just curious. Stan Shuffett says the traditional 5-line fractional aiming is his second favorite system next to CTE.

I figured since the Samba system uses aiming reference points, it'd probably be considered a target shooting type of aiming system like fractional aiming. But since I havent purchased it I surely can't say I know how it works

It seems similar to using fractional aim points on the object ball. But I understand the CB has reference points also, and different shafts are considered and covered as well. So it's definitely not a fractional system. It's just similar in the fact that you sight, align, and then aim using concrete reference points on the balls.

I'd like to read some reviews on it if anyone here has purchased it.

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the correctional system is precise enough and too subjective.

If you look into samba more, you'll see why I don't consider it similar to fractional aiming. It is largely based on stepping into the shot based upon the OB and CB relationship.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I purchased the system and have it. Have I used it? No. Because I haven't learned it. This, like CTE is a totally different way of aiming and playing the game. It's not simple because there's so much to learn as well as become proficient with the application.

You're using the center of the cue tip or the inside of the tip for aim and placement as well as shadows under the CB. Different shafts require different setups. The stance and feet placement is extremely important and he goes into great detail about it and when to change based on shot angles.

It's not just an aim and fire at fractions as mentioned. The system is far beyond that,

Each page can be printed by your printer which means you can create your own book.

There's a lot and I do mean a lot to learning this. Is it worth the money? Of course it is. $59 bucks is peanuts for someone dedicated to getting better in pool.

Just make sure you have the time, the patience, and desire to put the work into it.

Should you purchase it? Why not? Absolutely! It costs less than dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant and will be around a lot longer than the food or memory of the night out.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Did you mean "fractional" system?

If you look into samba more, you'll see why I don't consider it similar to fractional aiming. It is largely based on stepping into the shot based upon the OB and CB relationship.

That is correct for both sentences.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I meant fractional. Posted from my iPad and the spell ahead tool got me.

Nice explanation of Samba BTW.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I HAVENT READ THE OTHER POSTS
samba was too complicated for me
the see system was more usefull

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I purchased the system and have it. Have I used it? No. Because I haven't learned it. This, like CTE is a totally different way of aiming and playing the game. It's not simple because there's so much to learn as well as become proficient with the application.

You're using the center of the cue tip or the inside of the tip for aim and placement as well as shadows under the CB. Different shafts require different setups. The stance and feet placement is extremely important and he goes into great detail about it and when to change based on shot angles.

It's not just an aim and fire at fractions as mentioned. The system is far beyond that,

Each page can be printed by your printer which means you can create your own book.

There's a lot and I do mean a lot to learning this. Is it worth the money? Of course it is. $59 bucks is peanuts for someone dedicated to getting better in pool.

Just make sure you have the time, the patience, and desire to put the work into it.

Should you purchase it? Why not? Absolutely! It costs less than dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant and will be around a lot longer than the food or memory of the night out.

Nice. Very convincing.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Fractional aiming is as precise as you can make it. Of course, if you limit yourself to using only the basic quarters and the 1/8 in-betweens, you'll not be using fractions in the most accurate manner. Fine tuning is simple.

I may look into Samba more, based on Spidey's post, but it's apparent you haven't looked beyond the traditional Quarters system when it comes to fractional aiming. It is actually extremely accurate and objective when you are no longer depending on experience to estimate which fractional aim to use.

hogie583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also own and know Samba. It involves 15 degree categories. 1a 1b 2a 2b 3a and 3b. Uses the shadows under both balls. Lots of rules to follow. The system pockets ball well. The lighting over the tables has to be good In order to get a crisp view. Not all tables show the shadows well. This systems get you to a shot line. Your shaft center and edge is part of the process. Your feet alignment are involved. These is a ton of informations with this system... the distance between ob and cue is involved. Lots of table time.. its a good system. It takes alot of time to learn. If someone was to purchase this. Do it just like information says.. This includes setting up the table... its very important along with all the other steps and there is alot of them. There are support video embedded in the download. Just pay close attention to each step and take no short cuts.

With all that said. Develop your stroke... i dont care what system you use... there is no magic bullet for a great stroke! There are no short cuts with any aiming system. You have to do the work step by step! Some great systems out there too! It all depends on what clicks with you.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I also own and know Samba. It involves 15 degree categories. 1a 1b 2a 2b 3a and 3b. Uses the shadows under both balls. Lots of rules to follow. The system pockets ball well. The lighting over the tables has to be good In order to get a crisp view. Not all tables show the shadows well. This systems get you to a shot line. Your shaft center and edge is part of the process. Your feet alignment are involved. These is a ton of informations with this system... the distance between ob and cue is involved. Lots of table time.. its a good system. It takes alot of time to learn. If someone was to purchase this. Do it just like information says.. This includes setting up the table... its very important along with all the other steps and there is alot of them. There are support video embedded in the download. Just pay close attention to each step and take no short cuts.

With all that said. Develop your stroke... i dont care what system you use... there is no magic bullet for a great stroke! There are no short cuts with any aiming system. You have to do the work step by step! Some great systems out there too! It all depends on what clicks with you.

Yep, right on the money about everything you posted.

I forgot to mention something in my post which has to do with the format. It was mentioned as being an e-book. IT IS NOT.

It's a 148 page PDF download. Additionally in the system, there's 4 hours of instructional video that demonstrates what he's teaching in the written form. It can be accessed by clicking on a measles CB when they show up in different sections.

You can only use it with an internet connection. If you are trying to do it in a pool room there are downloads for your phone to watch while practicing. He tells you how to do it in the PDF.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I've read a lot of good comments about it over the last couple of years. Not sure but it sounds like a fractional aiming system, or what some call "target shooting", because Ekkes references specific aim points at the OB end of the shot, classifying shots into categories to help mental recall. I personally like the straight forward target shooting approach. Watching the example Samba videos, it just looks like the player uses his cue to align the aim line toward the ghostball.

Maybe someone else here can give a detailed review. It's a little pricey for me at $55, considering it's a pdf book that you download. That's why I never bought it -- at that price I'd rather have a nice printed book to add to my collection. But it very well could be worth ever penny! :smile:

Ekkes developed first the See-System-- which was already really strong. With reference points- defined also by shadows (the only thing i don t reallyl ike-- shadow aiming in general i have a problem with :) )

See-System works really good-- without a doubt.

With Samba Ekkes tried to develope it *further*-- To "airpivot" from your alignment point (easily described).

From how i know Ekkes, it works for sure. (just not my thing).

See system was great, is great. and very well described in his book.

take care,
Ingo

gunslingr30

Registered
I have both systems and use both systems. I think for the price you can’t go wrong either way as they both work very well. Samba is harder to learn for sure but I believe more accurate in the long run for me and the way I like to see things. If you put in the time you will be rewarded. The more aiming systems you know the better off you are and the more you understand them. I still use 90/90 at times for hard inside English. Why? Because it works. Invest in your game and never stop learning.