Young-you giving Now-you weight?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Ok, so... who could've given who weight, you as a ( relatively ) kid giving you these days? Or the other way around?

For me, it's no contest. Me at 25 could've given me now the last three and the breaks. Now, if it was only game knowledge that counted, it would be the other way around. But as most of us know, without consistency ( my forte at 25 ), game knowledge and a dollar will get you a cup of Joe at a cheap diner.

For those who say you now would be giving you then the weight, I envy you. Because it means you've had almost no lapse whatsoever in playing time over the years. I wish I could say the same.

JC

Coos Cues
Ok, so... who could've given who weight, you as a ( relatively ) kid giving you these days? Or the other way around?

For me, it's no contest. Me at 25 could've given me now the last three and the breaks. Now, if it was only game knowledge that counted, it would be the other way around. But as most of us know, without consistency ( my forte at 25 ), game knowledge and a dollar will get you a cup of Joe at a cheap diner.

For those who say you now would be giving you then the weight, I envy you. Because it means you've had almost no lapse whatsoever in playing time over the years. I wish I could say the same.

I could shoot real straight 35 years ago. And that's about it. I regularly destroy players like I used to be these days. As I would have the young me.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I could shoot real straight 35 years ago. And that's about it. I regularly destroy players like I used to be these days. As I would have the young me.

JC

( As Jake LaMotta said in The Hustler ) "Check."

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Young-you vs Now-you?.......I thought I was gonna see a match of Chinese eight ball.

:withstupid:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is such an interesting question that I've often pondered. I didn't have the nerves 40 years ago (at 21) than I do now (at 61), which clearly are detrimental to stroke consistency, and long shots just didn't scare me back then. However, my overall strategy and particularly my defensive game - safety knowledge and safety execution now would blow away my defensive game 40 years ago - heck we didn't even play safeties in 9-ball back in the 1970s - only in straight pool. We will never know the answer to this question any more than we'll ever know how Wimpy would fare against Earl in their primes, but I'd like to think this 61 year old could give my 21 year old self all he could handle!

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
This is such an interesting question that I've often pondered, but none of us will ever know. I didn't have the nerves 40 years ago (at 21) than I do now (at 61), which clearly are detrimental to stroke consistency, and long shots just didn't bother me as much. However, my defensive game - safety knowledge and safety execution now would blow away my defensive game 40 years ago - heck we didn't even play safeties in 9-ball back in the 70s - only in straight pool. We will never know, but I'd like to think I could give my 20 years old self all he could handle!

Exactly why I mentioned game knowledge. No contest on that front between me now and me then. But, back then, I never missed a ball and was rarely out of line. Now? Well... suffice to say I can fire 'em into the rail with the very best! And consistently!!! ;)

And, yeah... without hi-jacking my own thread; not playing safe in 9 ball... sighing. Seems like just a glorious dream these days.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I want to say that me at 52 would rip apart me at 30 but the reality is probably not so. Who would you bet on? Earl at 30 or today's Earl?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I want to say that me at 52 would rip apart me at 30 but the reality is probably not so. Who would you bet on? Earl at 30 or today's Earl?

Earl at 30. But then, I'd give 3 to 1 on Earl at 20 over either of them! :grin:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I vaguely remember a pretty good shortstop who would play anybody that he didn't know to be a champion player. But that was many Moons ago and that guy is gone forever, replaced by an old geezer trying to make two balls in a row. :eek:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I vaguely remember a pretty good shortstop who would play anybody that he didn't know to be a champion player. But that was many Moons ago and that guy is gone forever, replaced by an old geezer trying to make two balls in a row. :eek:

*Blinks*... You got spies staking out my life, Jay? :thud:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 40years old myself would have to give 6 games on the wire in race to 9 to 20years old myself to make things even..:eek:;)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 25 year old self would destroy the me of today but I'm getting it back slowly, very damn slowly.

Hell, I may surpass my old self considering I have the leisure of playing anytime I want now. I had to work back then, now I'm retired and can play any day/time I feel good enough to walk around the table.

I'm getting closer than most think that use to know me. I am very capable of stringing 4 to 6 racks together at any given time today. I'm getting there slowly but surely. Only time will tell.

Then again, like Jay told me, I need to play in tournaments or at least leave the house now and then.

Almost nobody knows who I am much less my real game which is not a bad thing when the time comes :grin-square: .

Rake

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My 25 year old me was an APA 7 (for you league guys) one of the early 7s in Massachusetts when it wasnt so easy to become a 7.

That me sucked compared to the 50 year old me. Both sucked compared to the 35 year old me.

If you allow me to take a wild stab at guessing my Fargoratings, i would guess:

25: 545
35: 630 (I’ll assume Mike Page was giving an accurate assessmentt here)
45: 450
50: 585

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
My 25 year old me was an APA 7 (for you league guys) one of the early 7s in Massachusetts when it wasnt so easy to become a 7.

That me sucked compared to the 50 year old me. Both sucked compared to the 35 year old me.

Dead on Fred.
50 year old me beats 25 year old because I'm just a more complete player now and I could fade my great 25 year old shot-making with steady play.
35 year old me beats 50 year old me because I was becoming a complete player at 35 and could still shoot straight like 25. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. :eek:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 25 year old self would destroy the me of today but I'm getting it back slowly, very damn slowly.

Hell, I may surpass my old self considering I have the leisure of playing anytime I want now. I had to work back then, now I'm retired and can play any day/time I feel good enough to walk around the table.

I'm getting closer than most think that use to know me. I am very capable of stringing 4 to 6 racks together at any given time today. I'm getting there slowly but surely. Only time will tell.

Then again, like Jay told me, I need to play in tournaments or at least leave the house now and then.

Almost nobody knows who I am much less my real game which is not a bad thing when the time comes :grin-square: .

Rake
Rake, very impressive personal bests. I'm curious as to your age when you achieved each of those personal bests, if you wouldn't mind sharing? - Thanks

Michael Andros

Silver Member

Rake

Especially for the cheese, Mr. Sneaky-Ninja! :grin:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My 40years old myself would have to give 6 games on the wire in race to 9 to 20years old myself to make things even..:eek:;)

My late 30s would've been close ( but no cigar ) to 25, even though I wasn't playing near as much. But now? To 25? I wouldn't have a prayer.

Michael Andros

Silver Member

I have NO clue what my Fargo would be or would've been at any given point but I envy you that your 2nd highest was at 50. Mine would've been a steady downward curve from mid 20s on. :(

One of my pet sayings in the room is: "I know so much more, now... I just can't do it anymore."