cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 9.46.22 PM.jpg

1185847_10200784577240306_887704352_n.jpg

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I am deeply saddened to hear of Larry's passing. Pool has lost a great one.

I first knew Larry in the mid 70s in some of the poolrooms of Ohio and Indiana, and remember him well with Terry Bell several times. He was a great player, always maintained a stoic, quiet expression when in action and could shoot with the best in the country.

My deepest condolences go to Larry's family and loved ones.

Will Prout

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
My condolences and thanks Larry for your contribution to the game and helping it grow.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about Larry passing. As an APA LO 20 years ago, I knew Larry fairly well. As far I'm concerned Larry Hubbart was the ONLY Iceman in the pool world. Mika (or whoever put that moniker on him) stole it from Larry.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I totally agree, Larry was the ICEMAN, and that name gets retired, for me.

RIP, Larry

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry Hubbart and Terry Bell were inducted into the BCA's Hall of Fame in 2010 for creating the APA, which fell in the meritoriouis category. As well, thought, Larry was a notorious hustler during the '80s when action was prevalent; in fact, one of his road partners was none other than Mike Sigel.

I did some research on Larry in 2010 at the time of his BCA induction, so I will share a copy-and-paste of what I found. Looks like another Wikipedia article will be coming sine die :)

There is a pretty cool article about Larry Hubbart written by "Creole Freddie" Yates 20 years ago in 1990 edition of The Snap Magazine.

The first time I saw Larry Hubbart was around 1972. It was in a big action club in Mississippi on a major highway. Larry Hubbart and Mike Sigel strolled in and leaned against the wall and, within minutes, an undercurrent of whispered stories about Mike was floating around the room. Well, we all know how pool stories and knocks can be -- within 30 minutes, Mike couldn't buy a game.

"Who's the older guy with Sigel?" someone asked.

"His uncle Larry. He stakes him," was the reply.

One of the smart local shortstops then had a great idea: Hubbart was the guy with the money, so he was the one to get. The end of the story was one I would hear many times over the next decade. Uncle Larry got the cheese!

The next time I saw this great player in action was in 1977 in Birmingham, Alabama, at the James E. Gaston Nine-Ball and Eight-Ball Championships. I had a rack in my hand and was refereeing a match between Larry Hubbart and another top player. Larry ran nine consecutive nine-ball racks on his way to being crowned nine-ball champ. And he didn't stop with that win. Larry went on to win the eight-ball division and the all-around title.

There were many things I would learn about Larry as I got to know him. He was the man who taught Hall of Famer Mike Sigel most of what he knows about the road. He never needed a room full of people to get on his side when he got ready to play, and he never needed cash partners. He played on his own and truly believed in the games he made. You could bet all yours on him, too, when he got down because he never dumped...

Scroll down to read entire article: "Larry Hubbart the Iceman Returns."

...Larry Hubbart has become a symbol to all players as one of us who has made it. But you can still pick up the phone and call him. He still remembers where he came from. He also still remembers how to play. This was evident at the 1989 B.C. Open Championship in Binghamton, New York, where after years of retirement, he placed third in the first tournament he had entered in many years.

At 48, Larry is a true legend, and now that he has come out of retirement to play again, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him in the Hall of Fame someday. In fact, I don't think anyone would be surprised.

Pool lost another great one. RIP, Larry Hubbart.

Larry Hubbart on the left and Terry Bell on the right.

Attachments

• 259-TerryLarry-big[1].jpg
    259-TerryLarry-big[1].jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 307

MississaugaFats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A passing of a generation...

RIP to a True Legend and a Giant of the game...Condolences to his family.
The mark on the game which he had left, is enormous.
Thank You Sir!! You are sorely missed.:(

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Watched the man play more than once.

Last time was in the mid 80's.

Could never tell if he was playing for $5 or $10,000.

Always the same demeanor.

The young pups for the last ten years have asked me which players I admire.

I tell 'em Buddy and Efren for ability and for "Table Presence" and "Class", THE ICEMAN.

So long, bud. See ya on the other side.

Stones

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something odd here, there was, I think, no BC Open in 1989. There were only four, last in 1988. With all respect to Larry Hubbart, he did a lot for pool and is and will continue to be legend of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something odd here, there was, I think, no BC Open in 1989. There were only four, last in 1988. With all respect to Larry Hubbart, he did a lot for pool and is and will continue to be legend of the game.

If anyone would know, I know it would be you! :wink:

That was a direct quote from Snap. It may be they got the dates mixed up.

I notice that in a lot of older pool periodicals, they not only mix up dates, but oftentimes they even omit the dates, which is a travesty.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my stuff is in the basement of our new house, ask Keith what year he won the first and you'll know for sure, I could be wrong;)

Standbykid

Results or excuses?
Silver Member
RIP Mr. Hubbart. Thank you for your positive impact on this game.
My condolences to his family.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my stuff is in the basement of our new house, ask Keith what year he won the first and you'll know for sure, I could be wrong;)

Keith won in 1985. :) I don't see Larry's name on this one. It must have been the year before or the year after. I am going to see if I can find it in my Accu-Stats periodicals from that era.

Attachments

• 1985.jpg
    1985.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 300

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not looking hard enough JAM, look at 25-32 real close.

Thanks so much, TimKrzayMon. I skimmed right over his name. :eek:

The one I'm looking for, though, is where Larry Hubbart came in third place. That may be a tough one to find, but I'm on a mission. :wink:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF and it's a big if, I can find my box for those years I'll let you know. Won't have Internet before pm Monday.

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Great Larry was playing a young guy from Baltimore. The kid he was playing never missed a ball playing 9 ball the first day. The kid's name was Little Riggie. Riggie was up 11,000 the first day.Larry played him the next 2 days won all his money back sent Little Riggie home busted.This tells you the heart he had playing for his cash.His real name is The Ice Man when playing for his cash. A triple smart guy and it showed when him and Terry Bell started the APA. A great success story.Condolences to his Family.RIP Larry

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry Hubbart finished third in the 1989 BC Open. His protege, Mike Sigel, defeated Nick Varner in the finals to take the title.