Mosconi 2017 - Updates

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Europeans are far better players than the US players and it wouldn't matter what team USA sends. I don't think team USA could beat the European players that only live in the US now.

The US players don't get enough competition against the best in the world with the exception of SVB. Heck, most of the US pros at this point could be considered part time players or semi-retired.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Gambling killer instinct? Hard to pull that out with Alternating Break races to 5.

I'm sure that our guys' dads can beat up their guys' dads.

The format is the format, same for both sides. If the format were the problem, we would see a closer outcome. The US team is simply not showing that they are able to compete with the Europeans.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
they had to earn points in tournaments so if you didn't play tournaments you couldn't be on the team.

How is the USA team selected? I just can't believe those are the five best players in America.

It could be selected multiple different ways, including having the top few guys play one another and the winners get to go. A problem in the past was a lack of a merit system and some shenanigans because of the money involved.

My only point is that gambling is different from tournaments and I am noticing a lack of killer instinct that the gamblers seem to possess. Especially, this group.

Kd

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that our guys' dads can beat up their guys' dads.

The format is the format, same for both sides. If the format were the problem, we would see a closer outcome. The US team is simply not showing that they are able to compete with the Europeans.

Again

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
How is the USA team selected? I just can't believe those are the five best players in America.

They are far more talented than the MC shows - not sure why this is. I think Shane has a better record of WINNING the US Open than he does in matches played in the MC.
Jason

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They outta just put the Cup in Barry Hearn's office and end this deal. This will make it 8-in-a-row for the Euros with no real end in sight. Not even super-coach Johan the Great can right this titanic.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

Attachments

• 01a76400ed7c979aa543084630dd612e3c195fbd547202707c67829ae5940ef5.jpg
    01a76400ed7c979aa543084630dd612e3c195fbd547202707c67829ae5940ef5.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 463
  • 34e2dca5f6967bad622a8e8f4409fa0f04329b4cf7a74b810285e2dd2537350c.jpg
    34e2dca5f6967bad622a8e8f4409fa0f04329b4cf7a74b810285e2dd2537350c.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Europeans are far better players than the US players and it wouldn't matter what team USA sends. I don't think team USA could beat the European players that only live in the US now.

The US players don't get enough competition against the best in the world with the exception of SVB. Heck, most of the US pros at this point could be considered part time players or semi-retired.

I don`t think it`s that easy. I think "American individualism" might be the main factor working against team USA.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to say this but this is the worst team assembled in years! They lack the gambling killer instinct! I believe a team of Bergman, Danny Smith, Josh Roberts, Jeremy Jones, & Justin Hall would torch both squads on the mosconi cup today!!! Oddly, none of these guys are selected and watching from home! Lol

Just sad!!!

KD
We've been outscored 15 games to 2 games in the final 3 matches today, and actually 18-2 since Oscar led his match vs Ralf by 3-2 before losing the final 3 games. I would say this has snowballed out of control, and I can't imagine what the coach can possibly say to his team at this point that could turn it around tomorrow.

I disagree that these players are not seasoned players who have proven they can play at the highest level, particularly when gambling. I'd like to think that if they went down to Griff's Thursday night after this is all over, and matched up one-on-one against the Euro players in long races or ahead sets for the 20k winner's fee each of the Euro players are about to win, that we could win 3 of those 5 matchups.

I wouldn't doubt they'll be some of our players that will make that proposition to their adversaries, and I'm guessing they'll be turned down, as the Euro's will be too busy celebrating their victory.

Jerry Forsyth

Yeah, they were completely perplexed? What, it's not wood, what is it. Must be some type of composition, some secret type stuff ?? Maybe it's Ash, it's a darker wood LOL.

Of course we know what a Revo shaft is. But we have to be very careful about mentioning manufacturers names on air. It is highly frowned upon to do that on British TV unless the company is a title sponsor.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course we know what a Revo shaft is. But we have to be very careful about mentioning manufacturers names on air. It is highly frowned upon to do that on British TV unless the company is a title sponsor.
Isn't Predator one of the main sponsors of this yearly massacre?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

That's fine Jerry, but then why not say it's mass produced LD shaft made out of some type of carbon fiber and appears that some Americans have them too. At least it would sound better than is it ash wood, because it's darker ;) LOL. No big deal, but was kinda funny at the time :thumbup:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst record after 10 matches

After 10 matches, this year is USA worst in terms of racks won worse than last year and that disastrous 2013.
Racks won 28 to Europe 45
Racks won % 38.4%

Racks won 28 to Europe 44
Racks won % 38.9%

2013 (Matches were races to 6 )
Racks won 39 to Europe 58
Racks won % 40.2%

That Pet Shop Boys/ Dusty Springfield song is going thru Johan's head now https://youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9E5i7l-Eg

As a patriot an lover of American pool, we are toast. I was skeptical of the player choices to begin with. So I will be the first to say USA will lose this one also.

Just saying and predicting with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
As a patriot an lover of American pool, we are toast. I was skeptical of the player choices to begin with. So I will be the first to say USA will lose this one also.

Can I borrow your crystal ball:rolleyes:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

Bold prediction there... you gonna give odds on that while you are at it?

You can barrow both of them. They have been cracked slightly as life has had its moments with me but, you are welcome to rub them all you like.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
They are far more talented than the MC shows - not sure why this is. I think Shane has a better record of WINNING the US Open than he does in matches played in the MC.
Jason

He has played in 11 US Opens. He won 5 of them. That's pretty damn incredible and it is better then his Win Percentage in Mosconi matches.

Last edited: