What is your high run in 14.1?

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
In practice it was 69 some years ago. This season it was 55 in a straight pool tournament and 40 and 41 in league. I'm pretty confident it could be more in the future.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Yes, Pat was a slip stroker. Here's a little 1-minute video of him posted by David Sapolis after Pat's death in 2009. It doesn't really show his slip stroke because of the angle of view, but at the end it indicates that his high run was 338.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXa5d6hIAyg

Yeah, that was the number I remember as well. If Pat had decided to be a "pro", his name might be up there with the greats of the game. Pat chose work and family. Remember, he eventually played in the same room with Mike Sigel and Irving Crane. He was also one of the very few to be a playing partner of Arthur "Babe" Cranfield. They all respected him. In my humble opinion, Pat had the best pattern play of the three. He also spent his summers as captain of a fishing boat. He also surprised people by wearing a glove on his right hand rather than his left bridge hand. Helped with his "slip stroke"!

Lyn

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
My high run in practice is somewhere around 50, and in competition here in Germany, I have a couple of 25-30 ball runs. I haven't put in a lot of effort at the game, and haven't really even practiced it that much with my club members, so that's probably the main reason that is keeping me from running more.

I do see that I am more consistently getting good on the last 3-4 balls, and identifying the key ball to the break ball much earlier. My high runs are actually comparable to the 14.1 players from the next league level up.. I am planning on trying to lose some weight and practice more before next season. I know I have multiple competition 50+ point runs in me, and that would put me near the top of my club.

All in all, I see it as a bit of an accomplishment to be an American on a German pool team, but still be the best 14.1 player on the team. Next season, I am up for opening a few eyes. I have been complemented a few times by other teams on my straight pool playing, so I must be doing something right.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My high run is 34 on my 9’ Diamond, but I think I’ve only played 14.1 maybe 3 or 4 times in my life.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
46. And starting to wonder if I’ll ever break 50.

I feel like 50 would be a milestone achievement for me since I’ve never done it. It just gets frustrating. A guy I comfortably give the 7 to playing 9-ball was all excited and told me he had just run 63 a couple of days prior to seeing me. I was happy for him, but also even more disappointed in myself. I have lots of runs in the low 40’s, but something always happens going into the 4th rack.

My best, aside from the 46, is back-to-back 42’s.

I know several people that are "stuck" in the 40's to 50's range.

To me, after you learn a bit about patterns and how to manage key balls and what angle to try for on the break shot, there's nothing more left to 14.1 but:

Holding concentration for long periods of time.

Some people call it the "zone" or in "stroke". I call it what it really is, and that's "your" highest level of "concentration".

After a person is able to make a transition from one rack to another, the only thing, other than the things i mentioned above....is how long can you concentrate before you "let up"? Because, once you let up, well, that's when you raise up, take your eye off the ball, skip parts of your PSR, shoot the wrong shot.....etc...etc.

Concentration is a bear. That's why, regardless of how much we learn about 14.1, we runs dont improve at the same rate as knowledge or even practice as far as that goes.

I'm right there with you, just like everyone else on the planet, minus a small handful of people.

BelleBelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
74 on a diamond. Having never played the game I wanted to see how hard it would be to run 100. I tried for probably 4-5 hours, finally waiving the white flag and having a new respect for that game. I did manage to get my 74 though and was thrilled with that.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I've passed this thread up many times before reading it today. Kind of surprised by the low scores (not all btw). I don't recall playing 14.1 much and certainly haven't in many years. The handful of times I did attempt it, I would guess I ran in the 40s or 50s back then, maybe only the 30s and 40s. I'm sure I could do better today. I might just have to try it again.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Depending on the table, cloth etc... 40's to 50's is no small accomplishment for most.

You ain't kidding. Here in Germany, tables mechanics have never even heard of such a thing as an "extended subrail".

But, the Germans generally shoot pretty straight, so they tend to like to reduce pocket sizes. Which brings us to pretty much every table in a competitive club in Germany being double or triple-shimmed. Which makes them play like dog doo.

And my table at home, albeit WITH extended rails (I coached a local mechanic through the basic requirements, and he did a decent job..), is quite tight, somewhere in the range of 4 1/4" to 4 3/8", so putting up a big number will require me to focus a lot more on my fundamentals, and on stroking balls in on the break, rather than using a more forceful stroke.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You ain't kidding. Here in Germany, tables mechanics have never even heard of such a thing as an "extended subrail".

But, the Germans generally shoot pretty straight, so they tend to like to reduce pocket sizes. Which brings us to pretty much every table in a competitive club in Germany being double or triple-shimmed. Which makes them play like dog doo.

And my table at home, albeit WITH extended rails (I coached a local mechanic through the basic requirements, and he did a decent job..), is quite tight, somewhere in the range of 4 1/4" to 4 3/8", so putting up a big number will require me to focus a lot more on my fundamentals, and on stroking balls in on the break, rather than using a more forceful stroke.

I cringe at the thought of playing 14.1 on a 9' pro-am with 4 1/4 to 4 3/8...... ouch!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ will definitely make a person do one of the following:

Dial in "all" fundamentals

Or........lol

Be like the average amateur 9 ball player and "suck" at 14.1 because it's a lot harder to hold concentration for an "endless" number of balls vs. running 9-balls-n-out.

Disclaimer:

I suck at both.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Or........lol

Be like the average amateur 9 ball player and "suck" at 14.1 because it's a lot harder to hold concentration for an "endless" number of balls vs. running 9-balls-n-out.

Disclaimer:

I suck at both.

It helps that I have Germans watching me compete at 14.1 every two weeks during the league season. I kinda wanna rep for the Americans living in Germany, and make sure they know we aren't ALL helpless.

I am a type A personality, and at this point, my overriding goal is to top the season high run of the best 14.1 player first at my league level, then the next league level.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... On the other hand, if your table is a 9' and has 4.5 or smaller pockets and has a deep shelf such as the diamond pro-am, well, 50's is a very respectable number for any amateur....
One year at Derby City on exactly that equipment, Thorsten Hohmann failed to run 50 on any of his attempts.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Had a new "high run" tonight lol
A whopping 13!
But.......
I played well overall too.
I finally won legit for the first time. He had to go to 186 and I had to go to 100.
I won 100 to 77!
Celebrating tonight!! Pretty psyched.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year at Derby City on exactly that equipment, Thorsten Hohmann failed to run 50 on any of his attempts.

Yep, and it probably will not be the last time he can't make 50.

I have a feeling that he would be willing to bet he can break 50 within 3 or 4 attempts everyday.

I think he would win in the long run.

Heck, "AT HOME", (no stress, distractions etc...) I wouldn't feel to uncomfortable with that bet given the attempts was in the 5 or 6 range.

At the same time, lol....my wife and I have become accustomed to "eating".... "everyday" so, I better let the above thought, stay a "thought"....either that or drop the number to 14.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Mine is 42 and I’ve just started playing it again in a quest to beat it. Today I put up a couple in the teens. Back at it tomorrow.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the other hand, if your table is a 9' and has 4.5 or smaller pockets and has a deep shelf such as the diamond pro-am, well, 50's is a very respectable number for any amateur.

Reading this actually makes me feel a little better...a little. My 46 was on my home table with 4.25” corners and 4.75” sides. It’s a GC though so the shelf isn’t deep. There’s an old school place near me with a bunch of 9ft Annaversary tables with huge pockets. I’ve never been there but I may just wander out there one day and try to break 50 on those tables. I dunno though...might not make much difference. My patterns are terrible. 😂

I do have a couple of runs in the 20-30 range on a 4.25” pocket pro-am at a local action spot though.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
102 but it was on a 4x8 and 43 years ago. I had a 98 on a 4.5x9 this month.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading this actually makes me feel a little better...a little. My 46 was on my home table with 4.25” corners and 4.75” sides. It’s a GC though so the shelf isn’t deep. There’s an old school place near me with a bunch of 9ft Annaversary tables with huge pockets. I’ve never been there but I may just wander out there one day and try to break 50 on those tables. I dunno though...might not make much difference. My patterns are terrible. 😂

I do have a couple of runs in the 20-30 range on a 4.25” pocket pro-am at a local action spot though.

46 with 4.25 corners is nothing to sneeze at my friend.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Come Bob, if 98 was my best "current" high, I wouldn't even mention it. Especially, if it was on a 4.5x9....

What were you thinking?????
I was thinking, "Why did I leave myself on the head rail for the breakshot?" Oh, yeah, bad end pattern.