Played a set of bar box 8 ball against Sky Woodward

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The backstory - I played in the Big Tyme Classic over the weekend (drew James Aranas the first round, 10-3 victory for him and a lot of fun for me - super nice guy and a great experience btw).

Was up at the tournament the following night and saw Sky Woodward setting up some shots and just practicing so I had an introduction made and asked him if he'd like to play a set of 8 ball on the bar table for $100.00 - winner break race to 7. The caveat was that I really wasn't looking to gamble as I knew I couldn't beat him - I was looking to learn and he'd need to agree to me asking questions throughout the set and if he saw something that I could improve upon he'd let me know - he readily agreed to both and we were off.

About 75 minutes later the set was over, I lost, but I won as here's what I learned:

1) Adjustments to my stance
2) Why/when to adjust your break depending on the rack and who's racking
3) When not to shoot a combination and why
4) A new way of thinking about patterns
5) A new way of thinking about breaking out balls

I can honestly say that it was the best $100.00 I've spent on pool in a very long time and Sky was a class act throughout the set and afterwards - listening to his thought process as he navigated a rack was eye opening and I'm already applying what I learned - couldn't be more pleased with the way everything turned out.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
The backstory - I played in the Big Tyme Classic over the weekend (drew James Aranas the first round, 10-3 victory for him and a lot of fun for me - super nice guy and a great experience btw).

Was up at the tournament the following night and saw Sky Woodward setting up some shots and just practicing so I had an introduction made and asked him if he'd like to play a set of 8 ball on the bar table for $100.00 - winner break race to 7. The caveat was that I really wasn't looking to gamble as I knew I couldn't beat him - I was looking to learn and he'd need to agree to me asking questions throughout the set and if he saw something that I could improve upon he'd let me know - he readily agreed to both and we were off.

About 75 minutes later the set was over, I lost, but I won as here's what I learned:

1) Adjustments to my stance
2) Why/when to adjust your break depending on the rack and who's racking
3) When not to shoot a combination and why
4) A new way of thinking about patterns
5) A new way of thinking about breaking out balls

I can honestly say that it was the best $100.00 I've spent on pool in a very long time and Sky was a class act throughout the set and afterwards - listening to his thought process as he navigated a rack was eye opening and I'm already applying what I learned - couldn't be more pleased with the way everything turned out.

Great investment and experience. When I was learning this goofy game ( still am, btw ) at @ 12 to 17 or so ( and even after ), I would pick out the best players in the room and watch them for long periods of time. And I would ask questions all the time, even to the point of being a pain in the a55. But I was willing to suffer the slings and arrows of "get lost, kid, you're bothering me" and gain the knowledge the answers I was fortunate enough to get when i got them, afforded me. It never cost me a dime, but I think the way you went about it offered you a much more quickly-absorbed series of lessons than my method did way back then. I enjoyed the post, thanks for putting it up.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool world is cool in that $100 can actually get you such an experience....that’s a bargain right there! In-match instruction from one of the top players, that sounds like a great experience, I’d pay $100 for that any day! Especially nice because it sounds like Sky was really able to share some insights in a useful way. Not all good players can be good teachers too, but sounds like he can do both.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing Skyler years ago when he was 14 or 15.

He just freakin loved to play. His dad was a strong player but not Skyler speed of course. I played on his dad's APA team where he was a 7.

While there were some champions in Paducah, I never saw them help Skyler much or at all. His dad was his only coach that I ever saw helping him.

For a long time, Skyler couldn't beat Landon, and played him several times, but I think it would be a different story now.

Skyler is a great champion and he represents us ALL very well.

Ken

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good story here and it does sound like you got your money's worth. Good for Skyler, too, for his willingness to help you out with in-game discussion. Classy guy.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool story. Wish that option was readily available
to me.

Do you have a Fargo?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Your experience with Sky was a great one. I wish that I had even one like that that I could talk about.

I bet that if you look really close at the shots that he executed versus your game, you will realize that you have in the past pulled off most of the shots that he did when playing you. What I found out about the best players is that they are extremely consistent, and they will pull off every type of shot with a very high frequency. IMO that is their biggest edge against another good player. Sure, you can make most of the shots and break-outs that they do, but they are WAY more consistent and don't fail at executing them very often.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d do this with earl with one exception, the whole time I’d want h8m to tell me what’s wrong with pool today! I’d get a 100$ worth out of that lol

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow. great story. I just paid 75 bucks for one hour from a pro player, and all I got out of the lesson was to hit center ball????? you made a better investment than I did.:wink::wink:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The more I hear of this young gun's character, the more he jumps up to being one of the

ones I enjoy watching. Good PR all the way around, he has a special presence at the table

and with his fans, which will cause him to gain more of a following...Like myself.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story.

Out of curiosity, did you notice what cue he was playing with? Or did you get into any kind of conversation about cues in general?

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story.

Out of curiosity, did you notice what cue he was playing with? Or did you get into any kind of conversation about cues in general?

It was a Magic Cue - missed about 1 time every 50 shots!

In all seriousness, I didn't get a chance to ask him or discuss cues in general - probably should have in hindsight.