Pennys and Washers from the "best in the biz"

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Several Mistakes

Not to offend but for future reference for you and others reading this thread, you made several mistakes.

First, you let them finish the job. When it was obvious you weren't going to be happy with the job you should have shut it down. By waiting until they finish while you are right there the whole time it looks like you are just trying to negotiate a cheaper price after the job is complete. I don't think for a minute that this is what you did, just pointing out appearances in case you take someone to small claims court.

Next, you helped them. Two major flaws there. One, this is dangerous work particularly if people aren't used to working together. Slates like to nip fingers off and destroying a back is quite possible too when two people aren't working together properly. Two, now all the issues can be blamed on you! "You insisted this was what you wanted." One on one or maybe two of them against you, you are in poor shape if you go to court.

Now it is time to talk about straightening out the mess. After six months I would say you have gave the company every chance but how well documented is that six months? Demanding the company owner come out with the next crew would have been the smallest thing I demanded. If that didn't work I would have had the table covered properly and then sent a photocopy of that bill along with a demand for payment, certified mail.

It typically will cost more when someone has to come behind a botched job than if they had been called in to do it to begin with. I had a few people a year come to my auto shop wanting me to finish a job they started or someone else started. First question was cost. My stock answer was that it would cost more than if I had done the job from the start! Often they had expected a discount.

Hopefully your cloth is salvageable. Sometimes all you can do is take a licking and learn from it. Small claims or another court may or may not be worth your bother. Chances are these people have more experience than you appearing before a judge.

Hu

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have to laugh everytime I read someone giving their advice...."make sure you hire a Pro"...LOL What does that even mean, do Pros have a tattoo on their forehead saying, yep....I'm a Pro all right....LOL And the title "mechanic" gets me too, setting up a pool table is...."installer" level work, has nothing to do with being a pool table "mechanic"!

And here's a thought, if they can't do the install right the first time, because they just don't have the skill set to do so, why on earth would ANYONE think their skills improved before they come back out the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th time! Talk about wanting to ride a dead horse.....LOL I feel for this customer, but this kind of shit takes place every day of the week and twice on Sunday, from coast to coast....because the general consensus of this line of work....from all the people like like you people....is that its NOT rocket science, yet....here we are again!!

You people will never learn to ask the 'Pros"....do you have any pictures of your work, how about some of your customers from over 6 months ago, phone numbers? Can you post up some pictures of your work on AZB so the the experts we have here, who know more about pool tables than WE do, can take a look at your work and inform use customers of your level of expertise....thank you, I'll be waiting for your response!!!!!!

There is the possibility that two guys were visiting someone in the neighborhood,
went to the wrong house, and since they didn't speak English they thought
they were suppose to assemble the pool table before they could play on it and let they party begin.
One guy just happened to have a small pair of needle nose pliers in his pocket.
Just my theory since apparently they weren't "pro's"

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either this thread is a spoof on pool table mechanics. or those pro's

were sent from a 3rd world country that doesn't believe in using tools.

They just used my tools. :/

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

realkingcobra

Silver Member
There is the possibility that two guys were visiting someone in the neighborhood,
went to the wrong house, and since they didn't speak English they thought
they were suppose to assemble the pool table before they could play on it and let they party begin.
One guy just happened to have a small pair of needle nose pliers in his pocket.
Just my theory since apparently they weren't "pro's"

And people wonder why I chastise so called "Pro" mechanics posting in the talk to a mechanic forums! I feel that if you're going to post your advice, look for work, want AZB members to call on your expertise....then you had better know what your doing, and the subject you're giving advice on....because there's no free ride in the mechanics forum!!

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to laugh everytime I read someone giving their advice...."make sure you hire a Pro"...LOL What does that even mean, do Pros have a tattoo on their forehead saying, yep....I'm a Pro all right....LOL And the title "mechanic" gets me too, setting up a pool table is...."installer" level work, has nothing to do with being a pool table "mechanic"!

And here's a thought, if they can't do the install right the first time, because they just don't have the skill set to do so, why on earth would ANYONE think their skills improved before they come back out the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th time! Talk about wanting to ride a dead horse.....LOL I feel for this customer, but this kind of shit takes place every day of the week and twice on Sunday, from coast to coast....because the general consensus of this line of work....from all the people like like you people....is that its NOT rocket science, yet....here we are again!!

You people will never learn to ask the 'Pros"....do you have any pictures of your work, how about some of your customers from over 6 months ago, phone numbers? Can you post up some pictures of your work on AZB so the the experts we have here, who know more about pool tables than WE do, can take a look at your work and inform use customers of your level of expertise....thank you, I'll be waiting for your response!!!!!!

Cobra, I asked and one particular guy was supposed to show up to set it up. I’ve played on a table he has set up and it played well. They instead sent me two jokers.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at age 62, I dont put up with anything anymore. hostess seats me and momma by the restrooms, nope. I wanna another booth. my burger not cooked right after I told them how to cook it, nope, refund my money back. if im not happy with something, nope, im not paying.

(not trying too be a tough guy, just dont put up with it anymore.)

I would have throw those jokers out of my house in 15 minutes once I realized they had no tools or did not know what they were doing. certainly would not have paid them. my 2 cents .

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Cobra, I asked and one particular guy was supposed to show up to set it up. I’ve played on a table he has set up and it played well. They instead sent me two jokers.

Then maybe you should have waited until he could do the job if he was worth it. I understand if you don't feel like waiting, but one bad experience is all it takes....and the next time, you'll wait. But my one concern is if the guys that showed up, work for the guy that didn't, then I'd certainly question the skills of their boss, because it must have been ok with him, if he hasn't come out to personally make it right!!

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finding a decent table mechanic is not easy. In my opinion, the average table mechanic that works for a billiard supply store or game store is just good enough to set up a pool table for recreational players. Serious pool players need a serious table mechanic. I just went through the same experience. I had my GC installed by the folks at the game room store. They assured me they have installed thousands of tables with over 25 years experience. While all that may be true, the end results wasn't impressive. In the near future, I plan on having the table re-done and eat that first set-up cost as a learning experience.

Finally, I agree with advice someone gave you about going to a pool hall and asking the owner who they use.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You give way to much credit to the customers, most wouldn't know the difference between a 5 ball and an orange, and know even less about their pool table.

When I say “people like us” I’m not talking about your average Joe Schmo. I’m far from average. I’ve been tested. I have a long way to go to make average.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Finding a decent table mechanic is not easy. In my opinion, the average table mechanic that works for a billiard supply store or game store is just good enough to set up a pool table for recreational players. Serious pool players need a serious table mechanic. I just went through the same experience. I had my GC installed by the folks at the game room store. They assured me they have installed thousands of tables with over 25 years experience. While all that may be true, the end results wasn't impressive. In the near future, I plan on having the table re-done and eat that first set-up cost as a learning experience.

Finally, I agree with advice someone gave you about going to a pool hall and asking the owner who they use.
If you seen the work I've seen done in pool halls, you'd think otherwise. Nothing beats asking for references older than 6 months, there's where you'll find the truth, providing the references are not Cherry picked with customers that don't know shit in the first place.....get detailed pictures, they don't lie!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When I say “people like us” I’m not talking about your average Joe Schmo. I’m far from average. I’ve been tested. I have a long way to go to make average.

Then trust me when I tell you, you are an exception to the rule!!!

LeftyRighty

Have you found a good mechanic in the area since this post? I got an install quote from these guys, sub rails and rubber redone by jack Zimmerman and already covered, for 400 bucks...

seemed kinda high considering I have the bed cloth, everything is labeled and laid out in the room where it will be installed, and the rails are ready to be bolted on!

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you found a good mechanic in the area since this post? I got an install quote from these guys, sub rails and rubber redone by jack Zimmerman and already covered, for 400 bucks...

seemed kinda high considering I have the bed cloth, everything is labeled and laid out in the room where it will be installed, and the rails are ready to be bolted on!
Jack is well regarded, I'd think his part of the matter can be trusted.

If 400 for new rails and assembly is something you find expensive... I fear additional disappointments shall be encountered.

I like the earlier suggestion of telling the owner he needs to inspect the finished work with you prior to your acceptance.

LeftyRighty

Yeah, that price doesn’t bother me if it’s a good job. Not in the slightest. I didn’t mean to sound cheap lol. I just don’t want to spend that for shoddy work.

“these guys” as in the company that installed the op’s table. Classic home billiards.

Jack was great to work with btw, and i paid him more than he asked because I feel like the piece of mind, quality, and helpfulness warranted it.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I mention that their guys got into an argument in the middle of the setup and one of the guys quit on the spot...He went out and sat in their truck for the next two hours while I tried to help them finish the job. They were at my place until 11:30 pm. showed up at 5pm on a saturday ... just a horrible experience.
Yep, watched a guy get pissed learning how to cut deli meat at Jersey Mike's the other day. Quit and walked out with customers in line. How pathetic our workforce has become.

LeftyRighty

Jack is well regarded, I'd think his part of the matter can be trusted.

If 400 for new rails and assembly is something you find expensive... I fear additional disappointments shall be encountered.

I like the earlier suggestion of telling the owner he needs to inspect the finished work with you prior to your acceptance.
Basically I just had the sub rails replaced, new cushions, and covered by JZ. Now I need my table put together.

It looks like “these guys” are the only choice in my area. I took to these forums to see if any other passionate players on this site had anything to say about them. That’s when I found the post we are commenting on right now and I’m kinda skeptical.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically I just had the sub rails replaced, new cushions, and covered by JZ. Now I need my table put together.

It looks like “these guys” are the only choice in my area. I took to these forums to see if any other passionate players on this site had anything to say about them. That’s when I found the post we are commenting on right now and I’m kinda skeptical.
Does Jack not have any suggestions for you?

I did ask ask an acquaintance who is in clt for suggestion and have not heard back.