Diamond tables don't seem that great.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Diamonds are close to the best, very accessible, and good prices,
very ugly though

Ugly as a mother shut my mouth. But as functional & durable as a table can be. If I owned anything other than a GoldCrown it would be a Diamond.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I am not that impressed with Campbell Soup. Good maybe.

But M'm!, M'm! Good!...I think that's a lot of hype and frankly I find it excessively puncuated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

But M'm!, M'm! Good!...I think that's a lot of hype and frankly I find it excessively puncuated.

Campbell’s chunky has some good soups though. I buy easy backup foods for when I’m lazy and the backup of choice for all discerning customers is 1. Campbell’s chunky - chicken and corn chowder. 2. Ramen noodles - Beef flavor. With the ramen you want to crush them up in the bag, put them in a 1 Qt Tupperware that has been zero’d out on a scale, add noodles and water to somewhere around 11.5 Oz and microwave for 3 minutes. A little crushed red pepper and Weber’s “kickin chicken”..just a pinch. Aww ish they are freakin delicious.

Now this isn’t pool related but I am The Abhorrent Chef and therefore have to share recipes and such on occasion.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
You need to learn a little more about those tables before you rate them. The pocket facings on the Gabriel's are 3/8" thick, and because so....wear right through the cloth on the points of all the pockets, and play as stiff as 2"×4"s.

RKC, have you ever worked or played on a Rasson? I’ve not, but as mentioned above, they seem pretty keen to make a quality table.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the premise of this thread has already been pegged as nonsense, but in case there are any who are reading this, wondering which is the better table to buy...

Up until a month ago, I didn't get the Diamond hype, at all. I'd always been a GC, Anniversary nut and just didn't get it. California Billiards near me is gradually replacing their GCs with Pro-Ams. Big deal, I thought, maybe I get a bargain on their discarded GCs.

Then a friend of mine went whole hog on a one-piece slate, Pro-Am from Donny. I got to play on it, freshly setup with 860.

I am absolutely impressed. Converted.

Not just the play, which was flawless, but the whole system - no joints, no stapling, rails delivered already done, the guys had their sh*t together and the thing sets up lickety-split, with not a single defect to be found afterwards. Sure, I'm still into cool old tables, but I definitely now "respect the tech".

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Too many top level pros speak well of Diamond tables, for there not to be something special going on. I am eaten up with fondness for Brunswick tables, but those Cocobolo Diamond tables are mighty sexy.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue ball comes down with the rest of the balls into the ball return. The diamond has pretty tight pockets, so when I go play at the bar on a valley, it’s easy money. Valley pockets are like canyons. 😂😂

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the diamond lovers should go to Atlanta at Mr Cues 2 billiards. This is a player’s room through and through. About 1 year ago they remodeled a new section of the room to put in 2 brand new diamond 1 pocket tables. Very tight pockets. They call the new section the shark pit.

These are both new blue label dismonds.

Go play some on them. Any game you want. You will be scratching your head at where the balls go. As short as the worst red label you ever played on. I mean seriously if your skill level is such that you can run 3 balls with bih 2 out of 5 times you will simply be shocked how the balls come off the rail.

Then, go over 5 feet to any of the 30 GCs in the rest of the room and the rails play right.

This isn’t a mechanic issue. This is a design issue that has NOT been addressed.

I’ve played on diamonds in several places across the country. My gut feeling is when the cloth is new and the air is very dry, they play close to a GC. But when the cloth is worn, or something is different with the weather (and I’m not certain what that difference is) then they play like garbage.

So before glen yells at me again, go to that room yourself and tell me if those two tables play right, and if the GC’s 5 feet away play right.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member

The Campbell's Chicken Gumbo is pretty darn good. It's not the taste of New Orleans, but it's good for a little can of soup.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd hate to hear what you'd say about all the other commercial quality tables out there if you've got this many complaints about Diamond's!

Agreed...a complete troll job that also attributes alleged flaws to shitty set-up/ maintenance.

They are the best pool tables ever, for pro play.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
All the diamond lovers should go to Atlanta at Mr Cues 2 billiards. This is a player’s room through and through. About 1 year ago they remodeled a new section of the room to put in 2 brand new diamond 1 pocket tables. Very tight pockets. They call the new section the shark pit.

These are both new blue label dismonds.

Go play some on them. Any game you want. You will be scratching your head at where the balls go. As short as the worst red label you ever played on. I mean seriously if your skill level is such that you can run 3 balls with bih 2 out of 5 times you will simply be shocked how the balls come off the rail.

Then, go over 5 feet to any of the 30 GCs in the rest of the room and the rails play right.

This isn’t a mechanic issue. This is a design issue that has NOT been addressed.

I’ve played on diamonds in several places across the country. My gut feeling is when the cloth is new and the air is very dry, they play close to a GC. But when the cloth is worn, or something is different with the weather (and I’m not certain what that difference is) then they play like garbage.

So before glen yells at me again, go to that room yourself and tell me if those two tables play right, and if the GC’s 5 feet away play right.

Since you like to point out how Diamonds play so bad, let me ask you something. Why is it, that if ALL Diamond 9ft rails are made on the exact same molding machine, and THAT right there is the COMMON DENOMINATOR of ALL Diamond 9ft rails....yet you point out 2 Diamond tables that play so short it's a joke. Tell me something, WHY don't ALL the rest of the Diamond 9ft rails made on the SAME machine play the same as THOSE rails do all around the world???? I'll tell you what is NOT a common denominator, and that's the care of the tables, the people who work on them, or the conditions of the tables. So YOU tell me how 2 Diamonds out of thousands of blue label 9fts play like the ones you're talking about....and trust me, I've delivered and set up more of them than you'll ever play on in your lifetime.....so answer my question? If there was a design issue as you want to claim there is, because you don't know shit, then how come all the rest of the Diamond table owners don't share in your complaint with the Diamonds THEY own? How come not ONE player was frustrated playing on them during the US Open 9 ball event, or the 2019 DCC....the rails are ALL made on the SAME DAMN MACHINE!!!!!

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me see if I can drown this out and forget this thread forever.

I wasn't trying to start a flame war, I was just stating what I have noticed over a couple years about Diamonds. I'm pretty sure someone should of pointed out a negative bias on my opinion, as my opinion is based on almost literally playing on nothing but Diamonds for 2 years. So, if I basically only play on them, I can't have the time to point out flaws on other tables. But, I still feel my observations are valid for my personal continuous exposure to them.

I've shot on plenty of good and bad tables over 30 years, but being I'm not a gear head in general, I always stay objective, especially on the matters that would stop me from being a gear head in a particular realm. So, maybe I do spot the negatives, but sadly overlook the positives (as stated and what I overlooked, the rails are also great to bridge off on).

Does Diamond receive enough constant feedback to continue to improve yearly, or just every 5 years or so? I don't know, but I do know that I like playing on them even if I _personally_ don't consider them by definition great. But, they could be great, as all I have noticed about that them to stop them from being great is seemingly superficial. Hopefully the biggest Diamond fans still have to stay objective enough to influence Diamond to continually improve.

Anyways, thanks for the demoralization, it helps to stay grounded :p.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Greg and let him know youre available for consultation.

I am sure he is really hoping someone can help him with his business.

I wasn't trying to start a flame war on myself, I was just stating what I have noticed over a couple years about Diamonds. I'm pretty sure someone should of pointed out a negative bias on my opinion, as my opinion is based on almost literally playing on nothing but Diamonds for 2 years. So, if I basically only play on them, I can't have the time to point out flaws on other tables. But, I still feel my observations are valid for my personal continuous exposure to them.

I've shot on plenty of good and bad tables over 30 years, but being I'm not a gear head in general, I always stay objective, especially on the matters that would stop me from being a gear head in a particular realm. So, maybe I do spot the negatives, but sadly overlook the positives (as stated and what I overlooked, the rails are also great to bridge off on).

Does Diamond receive enough constant feedback to continue to improve yearly, or just every 5 years or so? I don't know, but I do know that I like playing on them even if I _personally_ don't consider them by definition great. But, they could be great, as all I have noticed about that them to stop them from being great is seemingly superficial. Hopefully the biggest Diamond fans still have to stay objective enough to influence Diamond to continually improve.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe you both are right. Maybe the mold went bad and Diamond changed it out. I've never been in Diamond's factory, but I know exactly where it is at (guess where I live?), and I know that the humidity _RIGHT_NOW_ could very easily make any mold expand.

I'm not saying this happened, and it's not exactly applicable to steel (assuming they're using cast molds here), but when you poly a butcher block surface of any kind in this part of the country it is not just recommended to keep the bottom surface bare, but literally a requirement as the humidity will warp anything around here... (even pad locks!!! Always have bolt cutters in the summer and winter).

BTW, how does a table builder know that the rails are not defective before assembly?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I love Diamond tables. I haven't played on them enough to find any glitches they have.

I see a lot of people defending Diamond on here. What I don't see is any dispute of the issues Cron has w Diamonds.

RKC, have you ever heard of those issues? Do you have any insight on why he is experiencing these problems?

I'd love to own a Diamond. I just can't justify the price.

Although, nothing is so great it is above criticism.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I wasn't trying to start a flame war, I was just stating what I have noticed over a couple years about Diamonds. I'm pretty sure someone should of pointed out a negative bias on my opinion, as my opinion is based on almost literally playing on nothing but Diamonds for 2 years. So, if I basically only play on them, I can't have the time to point out flaws on other tables. But, I still feel my observations are valid for my personal continuous exposure to them.

And just so we're all aware, where do you play on these Diamonds at. How old are they, and in what condition are they in. All commercial pool tables were new when they were first sold as I've been trying to point out, but from that time on they're subject to the environment they're in, and those who work on them in which NEITHER represent the nor should reflect on the manufacturer of the equipment. To many times I've had to clean up the mess on pool tables made by those who've been doing the work on them in the past, to the point that sometimes I'm just in total disbelief that someone could actually be that bad at working on pool tables. Sometimes it's the room owners fault being so cheap they won't hire anyone better than a hack, and sometimes it just doesn't matter how much money they're willing to spend, there's just no talent available to hire. I always make fun of the table mechanics in TX, but trust me, it's for a good reason as most of the pool tables I've come across in TX are in the worst conditions I've seen in this country....and I've worked on pool tables in EVERY state except Hawaii, and I don't have to go there to know what the GC1s at Hawaiian Brian's look like.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I love Diamond tables. I haven't played on them enough to find any glitches they have.

I see a lot of people defending Diamond on here. What I don't see is any dispute of the issues Cron has w Diamonds.

RKC, have you ever heard of those issues? Do you have any insight on why he is experiencing these problems?

I'd love to own a Diamond. I just can't justify the price.

Although, nothing is so great it is above criticism.

ALL he did was state his opinions on the matter, opinion is not a actual reason for diamonds not being a great table lets review

1. The ball returns are the worst. I'm not a fan of ball returns anyways, but I've never danced so much trying to figure out which end the cue ball will come out. It's kinda ridiculous considering the popularity of Diamond.

ive never had an issue with which end the cue ball comes out on all the diamonds ive played on

2. The corner pockets seem to malform slightly on at least one of the pockets. Sure... you can blame the installer, but there seems to be an unusually high percentage of Diamonds this happens to. So can you always blame the installer in this case?

need pics/ vid or else this is just stupid nit picking with no tangible evidence that it effects anything

3. The wooden frames come with such an artificial looking stain that they all look like veneered plastic that scuffs and holds prints. I understand that high VOC poly can be expensive to buy in larger quantities past a quart (do to strange regulations), but come on, put some quality finish on there.

more nit picking on an opinion

4. The pocket receptacles are cheap plastic. I've seen balls just jump out like I am playing a carnival game. Would a leather padding be too much to hope for, you can literally buy enough in small quantities at Tandy for under $20 at retail prices to cover all pockets.

more nit picking on something he can probably go ahead and fix himself to his liking

5. The ball holders are effective, but cheap and way too small. If you're really going to go cheap and make a wire ball holder, why not make one that can hold at least 14 balls? If you're going to have to have a cut out for tables with ball returns, why does the cut out have to have over hanging lips that make the effective reach in the size of a bird house?

his first sentence here is all that matters, hes just nit picking for the sake of it

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe you both are right. Maybe the mold went bad and Diamond changed it out. I've never been in Diamond's factory, but I know exactly where it is at (guess where I live?), and I know that the humidity _RIGHT_NOW_ could very easily make any mold expand.

I'm not saying this happened, and it's not exactly applicable to steel (assuming they're using cast molds here), but when you poly a butcher block surface of any kind in this part of the country it is not just recommended to keep the bottom surface bare, but literally a requirement as the humidity will warp anything around here... (even pad locks!!! Always have bolt cutters in the summer and winter).

BTW, how does a table builder know that the rails are not defective before assembly?

Diamond don't build their rails in a mold!!! The rail blanks are ran through a shaper molder, and cut to the final profile out the other end kind of like a thickness planer, only with a series of feed rollers and cutter knives, and they never just run 1 or 2 sets through at a time, more along the lines of a 100+ sets at a time....so your theory holds no water.