I-Shaft Ferrule question

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a tip on an I-shaft and it came off on the first hit. When I removed the old tip, I noticed rings cut into the ferrule. I took a bit off but they are still there. I used loctite Pro. Are these rings normal? Do you think I would have better luck with gel?

Thanks

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes there are "rings" when looking at the ferrule. If the tip fell off, you either didnt face off nice and flat, sand the tip flat, used old glue or maybe you had some grease or impurities on the surfaces? Use a q-tip denatured alchol before gluing.

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes there are "rings" when looking at the ferrule. If the tip fell off, you either didnt face off nice and flat, sand the tip flat, used old glue or maybe you had some grease or impurities on the surfaces? Use a q-tip denatured alchol before gluing.

When you say face off does that eliminate the rings or do they go through the ferrule?

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Funny you should post this now...

I put a tip on an i-2 shaft a couple weeks ago. It had a Kamui Medium so it had obviously been replaced before unless it came from McDermott that way which I doubt. I replaced it with a Kamui Super Soft.

I didn't notice any "rings" and just barely took a skim cut on the ferrule to clean it up and make sure it was completely flat and clean. Sanded the glue side of the tip and used fresh Locktite Gel as I always have. Shot with it in our weekly tournament two Friday's ago and then it popped off on me last Friday while warming up for last week's tourney.

It was a good hit with slight draw but nothing pushing any kind of limits. Just popped off!

I have replaced a few hundred tips of all different kinds on all kinds of ferrules and have not had one failure except for this one. Embarrassing! Good thing it was my own! :)

A couple things I noticed.... that Kamui SS did not feel anything like the SS I have on my G-core shaft. Felt much harder, almost like a Kamui Hard. Looking at the tip that popped off and the ferrule, the glue looked to be spread out evenly but most of the glue stayed on the tip with hardly any adhearing to the ferrule.

I'm wondering if the ferrule material used on the I-shafts doesn't glue as well as other materials. I'm sure it was clean and flat and it was put on exactly as I do all my tip installs.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, put a Ultraskin Ivory Soft on using the same technique and have shot a couple hundred balls with it and so far it seems to be holding fine. (BTW... I'm really liking this tip!)

It's just weird that you posted this now since this is the first tip I've done that I've had fail and it just happened to be on an I-shaft. (I don't remember ever putting one on an I-shaft before).

Be sure to let us know if you figure anything out and I'll do the same.