Good Reference Shot for Moving Break Ball

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never really paid attention to this shot before, but I think it is a good one to learn. If you have a potential break ball (the 2 ball), but you need to push it up higher, this is a great shot.

What makes it a "reference" shot is that you can play position to get straight in on the 1 ball, and cheat the pocket to create the two rail position play. Of course, the rebound direction will vary with the starting cb/ob line up, but once you get a feel for that, this becomes a pretty forgiving and consistent shot. There should be ample opportunities to use this shot since there are typically so many balls in that area.

Of course you won't be successful all the time, but it can be one of those shots you try while on your way to clearing away balls.

Attachments

• Move Break Ball.jpg
    Move Break Ball.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 319

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never really paid attention to this shot before, but I think it is a good one to learn. If you have a potential break ball (the 2 ball), but you need to push it up higher, this is a great shot.

I've worked on that stroke for decades and do so during each practice session. It is tough to get the same quality of spin every time as that affects how "sharply" the CB doubles the corner. Judging CB deflection and pocketing the OB in a selected portion of the pocket opening are key to the second rail rebound direction of the CB. The stroke is useful for your example and many other positional plays. It is a stroke that definitely separates the better players.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've worked on that stroke for decades and do so each practice session. It is tough to get the same quality of spin every time as that affects how "sharply" the CB doubles the corner. Judging CB deflection and pocketing the OB in a selected portion of the pocket opening are key to the second rail rebound direction of the CB. The stroke is useful for your example and many other positional plays. It is a stroke that definitely separates the better players.

At the rather short distance in my photo, I found the rebound angle to be pretty forgiving. For example, I found nearly max left english only widened rebound path of the cue ball by about one ball diameter. I can see if you used this shot for longer position plays it might be more difficult.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About ten O'clock? with a compact spin stroke?

I would suggest you practice the shot with no english, left and right english and get a feel for what happens. You might some cue ball/break ball positions that don't work well (ie, you can't easily bump the ball from there) and other positions where it is natural.