14.1 instructional run of 80 balls.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
when i get a skid like that awful one you had near the start, >95% of the time i find a very hard chark spot laminated to the object ball; so hard that i have to scrape it off with a fingernail. it is the remainder of the skid: the chalk that was on the cue ball and was trapped between it and the object ball. and now it's Much worse, being fastened firmly to the object ball.

if i don't clean it, i Know that ball will skid again at some point, it's only a matter of when.

clearly you are a much more proficient player than i am, my best runs are in the 50's. so i'm curious why don't you (or anyone else i've seen) ever do this? it seems to me you're a sitting duck for another skid.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i get a skid like that awful one you had near the start, >95% of the time i find a very hard chark spot laminated to the object ball; so hard that i have to scrape it off with a fingernail. it is the remainder of the skid: the chalk that was on the cue ball and was trapped between it and the object ball. and now it's Much worse, being fastened firmly to the object ball.

if i don't clean it, i Know that ball will skid again at some point, it's only a matter of when.

clearly you are a much more proficient player than i am, my best runs are in the 50's. so i'm curious why don't you (or anyone else i've seen) ever do this? it seems to me you're a sitting duck for another skid.

I do it too. No need to do it this time of year. Summertime totally different story. Then I probably clean cueball 3-5 times per 100 ball run.
Weather is not now humid. Also I got new set of Aramith Pro cup(Duramith) balls. They are really nice and not really pick chalk yet.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
not talking about the cueball. the object ball gets these Hardened marks, and it doesn't matter what the humidity is, or what kind of balls they are; i also use the Aramith Tournament Pro (Duramith) balls, but i've seen it elsewhere. and it's not sometimes, it happens virtually Every time you get a skid. take a look next time, i bet you'll find it.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the way straight pool instructionals should be commentated. I remember suggesting it to John Schmidt back before he was about to do his first DVD. He ended up overdubbing after the run, which was still very good, but he didn't remember everything and wasn't at the table to see the exact angles anymore. I recall Mike Sigel doing his instructional video this way. I haven't seen Jim Rempe's in years, and I'm thinking he may have overdubbed as well? But I can't recall any others.

Anyway, I love this video. Good shooting, and thanks for doing it!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
This is the way straight pool instructionals should be commentated. I remember suggesting it to John Schmidt back before he was about to do his first DVD. He ended up overdubbing after the run, which was still very good, but he didn't remember everything and wasn't at the table to see the exact angles anymore. I recall Mike Sigel doing his instructional video this way. I haven't seen Jim Rempe's in years, and I'm thinking he may have overdubbed as well? But I can't recall any others.

Anyway, I love this video. Good shooting, and thanks for doing it!

Rempe's was not overdubbed, it was live audio.

And in my opinion the best instructional video for 14.1

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you...

for a very enjoyable video. Very cool to be able to follow your thought process as you pocket the balls.

Tony C

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rempe's was not overdubbed, it was live audio.

And in my opinion the best instructional video for 14.1
Bluepepper: “I haven't seen Jim Rempe's [video] in years, and I'm thinking he may have overdubbed”

Steve: Rempe's was not overdubbed, it was live audio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helpful information for Steve and Bluepepper regarding Jim Rempe’s Straight Pool instructional video(s):

You’re both right, as to “live” vs. “overdubbed” but you’re actually speaking about two different Rempe 14.1 instructionals. I have them both and they’re “yuuuugely” informative and insightful.

(Btw, both are still available from Accu-Stats at about $20 each.)

One is live audio (spoken while shooting) “How to Run a Rack in Straight Pool” on which he demonstrates the correct way to play a variety of break shots and the best way to run a rack. As he shoots, he points out the problems and how to avoid them. He explains the importance of key balls and acknowledges situations that arise time after time. (60 minutes length)

On the other, which is indeed overdubbed, “How to Run a Hundred Balls” Jim demonstrates how to pocket ball after ball till you get to a hundred. Then he and Pat Fleming review the run “in the booth” (figuratively) as Jim describes his decisions, his patterns, and the apparent problems and how to avoid them. He also shares his secrets on position play and how to break up clusters. (45 minutes length)

Arnaldo

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, arnaldo. Now I remember that. I had both, and now I can't find any of the pool videos I used to own.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Bluepepper: “I haven't seen Jim Rempe's [video] in years, and I'm thinking he may have overdubbed”

Steve: Rempe's was not overdubbed, it was live audio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helpful information for Steve and Bluepepper regarding Jim Rempe’s Straight Pool instructional video(s):

You’re both right, as to “live” vs. “overdubbed” but you’re actually speaking about two different Rempe 14.1 instructionals. I have them both and they’re “yuuuugely” informative and insightful.

(Btw, both are still available from Accu-Stats at about $20 each.)

One is live audio (spoken while shooting) “How to Run a Rack in Straight Pool” on which he demonstrates the correct way to play a variety of break shots and the best way to run a rack. As he shoots, he points out the problems and how to avoid them. He explains the importance of key balls and acknowledges situations that arise time after time. (60 minutes length)

On the other, which is indeed overdubbed, “How to Run a Hundred Balls” Jim demonstrates how to pocket ball after ball till you get to a hundred. Then he and Pat Fleming review the run “in the booth” (figuratively) as Jim describes his decisions, his patterns, and the apparent problems and how to avoid them. He also shares his secrets on position play and how to break up clusters. (45 minutes length)

Arnaldo

You fought me there, I deserve slap on the wrist. I should have known better there. I've watched them both enough times. Sorry about that.

We joke around a bit at the room I play at, how Jim uses the terms pretty loosely "change of plans". But many players feel they must stick to their original plans, an inevitably get stuck because they are not open to change or do not re-evaluate things once they are out of line.

Great advice by Jim there with "change of plans" proves that we are all not perfect and to be open to change.

Steve

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Finally had the time to watch some of your instructional, although I'm not done yet. Thanks again for posting it!

I'm invariably fascinated by how Straight Pool players get through racks in very different ways, and make theirs work. I'm more of a finesse player who won't move balls that go into pockets except to bump a specific ball into break ball position, and even then, try to find insurance ball scenarios where I can bump a ball lightly and with precision, for example, at around 12:30 minutes into the run, I immediately spotted what to me would be standard scenario: get the 9 and 1 out of the way so I can get onto the 7 (either from the 4 or after shooting off 11 and 14, which I'd personally leave as they'd later serve as key balls to get onto the break shot), roll in the 15 from there and lightly bump the 5 to move the 13 about three to four inches to the right (from the perspective of the camera angle) into break ball position, and all this while I still have the 8 as insurance.

(I realize this may occasionally lead to having to reach over the 3 and 5 to shoot the 8 next, but if one gets this just right, the cue ball should end up between the 3 and 5 for an easy shot on the 8.)

A few shots later, overrunning the position on the 11 to the middle, it looks for a moment as if you're going to do just that, using drag-draw on the 7 to get the perfect angle on the 15.

(Having said all that, I have no disagreement in general with players who prefer to hit balls with some more authority than I tend to do. I'm seeing myself as an average (at best) shot maker, but reasonable position player, so maybe I'm seeing shotmaking from a somewhat cowardly perspective, LOL!)

I completely agree with the concept of leaving oneself choices versus trying to play position in a manner that one's run will end if one doesn't get there. However, I personally try to do both: try to be as precise as I can while leaving myself options in case I don't. The pattern I pointed out above is, to me anyway, an example of what I tend to be looking for.

(Not so much a matter of right or wrong - it may be I'm just getting old and like to be close to the balls, so I can still read the numbers on them…)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally had the time to watch some of your instructional, although I'm not done yet. Thanks again for posting it!

I'm invariably fascinated by how Straight Pool players get through racks in very different ways, and make theirs work. I'm more of a finesse player who won't move balls that go into pockets except to bump a specific ball into break ball position, and even then, try to find insurance ball scenarios where I can bump a ball lightly and with precision, for example, at around 12:30 minutes into the run, I immediately spotted what to me would be standard scenario: get the 9 and 1 out of the way so I can get onto the 7 (either from the 4 or after shooting off 11 and 14, which I'd personally leave as they'd later serve as key balls to get onto the break shot), roll in the 15 from there and lightly bump the 5 to move the 13 about three to four inches to the right (from the perspective of the camera angle) into break ball position, and all this while I still have the 8 as insurance.

(I realize this may occasionally lead to having to reach over the 3 and 5 to shoot the 8 next, but if one gets this just right, the cue ball should end up between the 3 and 5 for an easy shot on the 8.)

A few shots later, overrunning the position on the 11 to the middle, it looks for a moment as if you're going to do just that, using drag-draw on the 7 to get the perfect angle on the 15.

(Having said all that, I have no disagreement in general with players who prefer to hit balls with some more authority than I tend to do. I'm seeing myself as an average (at best) shot maker, but reasonable position player, so maybe I'm seeing shotmaking from a somewhat cowardly perspective, LOL!)

I completely agree with the concept of leaving oneself choices versus trying to play position in a manner that one's run will end if one doesn't get there. However, I personally try to do both: try to be as precise as I can while leaving myself options in case I don't. The pattern I pointed out above is, to me anyway, an example of what I tend to be looking for.

(Not so much a matter of right or wrong - it may be I'm just getting old and like to be close to the balls, so I can still read the numbers on them…)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Thanks for watching and commenting.
My goal was there "Over-do" margin of error on positional shots so it really pops out. I see even strong players playing such a way they make position zones smaller. It just happened I actually made also decent run also:eek: