Ettiquette - checking cue status?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When waiting on a custom, how often is it ok to check in on status without being overbearing? After sending initial deposit, how long should one wait before reaching out for the initial update?

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When waiting on a custom, how often is it ok to check in on status without being overbearing? After sending initial deposit, how long should one wait before reaching out for the initial update?

What did the cuemaker tell you about expected delivery date? If he gave you a date(say 9 months), I think it would be ok to ask at about 6 mos. how the cue was progressing?

Some cue makers absolutely do not want to be contacted. When it is ready, they will contact you. I would not be concerned unless he ran say 30-60 days over promised delivery. Then, I would want to know what happened and when can I expect delivery?

Cue makers have problems with equipment, cue components, and illness. If that happened with one of my customers, they would get a call or text to explain.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did the cuemaker tell you about expected delivery date? If he gave you a date(say 9 months), I think it would be ok to ask at about 6 mos. how the cue was progressing?

Some cue makers absolutely do not want to be contacted. When it is ready, they will contact you. I would not be concerned unless he ran say 30-60 days over promised delivery. Then, I would want to know what happened and when can I expect delivery?

Cue makers have problems with equipment, cue components, and illness. If that happened with one of my customers, they would get a call or text to explain.
Excellent advice...it so hard to be patient, waiting for my dream cue! But I will lay low. Thanks!

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Rich after the cue maker receives your deposit you should not need to reach out to him.
He should reach out to you and let you know your deposit was received and the cue making process is underway.

I dont care how big or famous a cue maker is ... he got that way from his customers.
He owes them respect and part of that respect is keeping the customer informed about his order.
If the cue maker dont respect your business then perhaps you should find one that does.

If your cue maker tells you it will be 6 weeks to completion then wait the 6 weeks before contacting him.
Every time he has to stop what he is doing to answer the phone or respond to a text his cue work is on hold and that will delay the process for everyone ... respect works both ways.

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich after the cue maker receives your deposit you should not need to reach out to him.
He should reach out to you and let you know your deposit was received and the cue making process is underway.

I dont care how big or famous a cue maker is ... he got that way from his customers.
He owes them respect and part of that respect is keeping the customer informed about his order.
If the cue maker dont respect your business then perhaps you should find one that does.

If your cue maker tells you it will be 6 weeks to completion then wait the 6 weeks before contacting him.
Every time he has to stop what he is doing to answer the phone or respond to a text his cue work is on hold and that will delay the process for everyone ... respect works both ways.
Great advice! Thanks...I’ll be patient!