Do you tip the table mechanic?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought an Olhausen table which included delivery and set up.

Two guys set it up, and when finished they kinda paused and looked at me like I should tip them....?

I didn't, but wonder if I should have ?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the same boat a few years back and ended up tipping them, but I still am curious if that’s the norm.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
A lot of variables to have to apply to each situation.

Did they fit you in to a tight schedule when you would normally have to wait a few weeks?
Cut you a deal on the cloth?
Have a difficult area to have to get into?
Were your kids nagging them non stop?
Did you hover over them asking questions?
Are they in demand?
Was there a service they preformed which was not originally quoted, like replacing some screws, drawing rack lines, fixing trim?

I feel like I am lucky to have the same guy for the life of my pool career, and he is great so I do tip him.

I was in the same boat a few years back and ended up tipping them, but I still am curious if that’s the norm.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two guys came from Diamond, but one did most of the work. It took maybe 90mins max, single slate and felt was already on the table.

I think I gave the guy $30.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Two guys set it up, and when finished they kinda paused and looked at me like I should tip them....?

Olhausen is known for particle board,
Yes tip the mechanic and maybe he can replace the inferior products.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Always has to be one asshole that has to make a rude unnecasary comment. Did he ask what you thought about his new table that I’m sure he loves? No.. stfu

As far as the question.. I’m really not sure . Never thought about it.

Sometimes I think message boards and social media our the best and worst thing to ever happen to the world. People can be so nasty when they don’t have to look you in the eye and say it.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

tI didn't, but wonder if I should have ?

Waiters in restaurants expect it. I generally tip service people (if I like what they did). 100 thank you's don't equal $10.

Tipping is for good/great service only. If you did not tip them...don't worry about. Sometimes I tipped people and regretted it after. It's a personal judgement call.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm lucky to be near RKC. I give him whatever he wants but he's never after money. He won't be working on tables if things go his way, but finding someone that can do what he does....

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t tip on my Anniversary purchase and install, but I didn’t haggle over price either knowing it was going to be a 400 mile round trip job for them. The install was mediocre at best so I didn’t feel bad about not tipping. Now if I can ever get one of the good mechanics out here from this forum I’d tip for sure.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did glen set current table up for you?

Double damn.

Yes, about 2 years ago, I had the Anniversary and had the rails built by Mark Gregory. Had a local mechanic set it up but with a lot of problems. RKC had a Anniversary frame at his home and Italian slate. He leveled his frame and fixed the slates by taking off the wood backing and doing his thing with the 42 point leveling system. When he got to my house, he put leveling screws into the legs of the Anniversary and swapped out the frame and slate and set it all up.
One month ago, he came by to relevel it because he was in the area. Only two leg levels needed about 1/8 turn of the screws because of wood floors. Everything else on the table was in perfect level checked with his Starretts and probably won't change. Fine RKC work.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

hey dude particle board holds up like you wouldnt believe

the 2 base stands of my soren sogaard 10ft carom table are particle board and they support 3 100 lb steel beams and the 10ft heater bed, oh and the 3 500plus pound 50mm slates

over a decade old, now

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member

If your table mechanic(s) did the job above and beyond then a tip is in order, imo.

I wouldn't tip on a mediocre job though.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
OI tip any service tech that respects my home, takes care not to damage the walls or floor, does a good job and takes the time to inform us of what's what.

With one exception. Cable installers.

But I give them a sporting chance. I let them try and guess a number between 9-5.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tipped my installers $100. They were working all day to remove table from the house or the private seller I bought it from and install in my house. I also had blocks I had made beforehand to raise the table 5” I wanted them to incorporate into the table install.

They worked hard all day long, and did a good job, and it was physically difficult work, so I tipped them well.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member

1376488_171831229676486_470401014_n.jpg
Jeez, really?