Slate Question

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
......about the wood attached to the undersurface of the slate:

- what kind of wood or wood-like material is used and how thick is it?
- is this stuff glued to the slate or attached by bolts? If glued, what type of glue?
- is it only around the edges of the slate or the entire slate?

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

DTL

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

- is this stuff glued to the slate or attached by bolts? If glued, what type of glue?

DTL

My same response is bankwire $150 to me and I'll walk you through the steps, but you're going to need some power tools.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
My same response is bankwire $150 to me and I'll walk you through the steps, but you're going to need some power tools.

"Talk To A Mechanic".........except RKC, you gotta pay him, lol.

Seriously, most all slate comes from the manufacturer with this already attached. Just wondering what it is, how it's attached, how thick, etc.

No biggy. Thanks anyway, pal.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
"Talk To A Mechanic".........except RKC, you gotta pay him, lol.

Seriously, most all slate comes from the manufacturer with this already attached. Just wondering what it is, how it's attached, how thick, etc.

No biggy. Thanks anyway, pal.

So in other words, my time should be worthless, and you should be able to save money not paying a mechanic to add the backing to the slates, therefore free for you....ok, got it.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
So in other words, my time should be worthless, and you should be able to save money not paying a mechanic to add the backing to the slates, therefore free for you....ok, got it.

I won't be putting any table mechanics out of business anytime soon, that's for sure.

No, I was thinking about making a stroke training device. It would be too bulky for use on a real table, not to mention scratching up the rails, etc.

I'm gonna have a simple 9' X 4.5" strip of granite or quartz made for practicing straight-in shots with this stroke training device, or that's the plan. It would be embedded into a workbench-like table the same height as a pool table. I started a recent thread about this, see https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=487134 here. Just wondering if it would need the same "backing" that is used for real slate, or not. And if it would be better to include the backing, it's like 99% that I'd hire someone to do it for me....I can barely change a light bulb.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with suggestions. Again, thanks anyway. GL with your glue.

DTL

Last edited:
Reactions: JC

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
The wood that is used is dependent on the manufacturer.. In your case, you could simply edge glue the cloth, and not even require a slate liner.

SlateMate

Banned

you give good advice here and it's greatly appreciated by we do-it-yourselfers. but this forum is specifically designed so that we can pick your brains for free and it's human nature to want to impart knowledge to your fellow cantankerous humans... all professions have similar forums even attorneys. go on youtube and watch " lehto's law" . the guy gives advice and has fun doing so, so it's not a waste at all and he alerts people to bad laws like Civil Asset Forfeiture.

i volunteered my time at a boxing gym teaching kids how to punch and i also volunteered at the humane society helping animals. i used to rescue animals in texas costing me a lot of money and even my safety when i rescued a pitbul from a mexican fighting ring. i went back and stole their chickens....

imparting our knowledge to others is human nature and why humans have become so successful. imagine if early humans had to pay for every bit of someones time. we'd still be stone-age peoples. in fact libraries were built to facilitate the transfer of free knowledge to the betterment of humanity.
here's the pit i rescued. she was the best dog i've ever owned. on the right is, Blubonnet and far left is Ralphy. all rescued from horrible situations costing me a lot but giving me much in return. they were my family but now are all long dead as we will soon be.

so, charge for your work not your advice because your work will not last nearly as long as what you teach.

Attachments

• ShimiBlueRalphy.jpg
    ShimiBlueRalphy.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP - if you actually proceed with your plans, maybe consider a wider end at the "head spot" so you can also practice cut shots?

I'm not a table tech, but i have worked with all the materials. During the late 70's/80's i made tools and supplies for a table builder. Since you are not actually proposing a table, i don't feel out of place commenting. :wink: Per some of your Q's on the other post, slate saws easily with a diamond blade in a skilsaw, cut it outside layed flat on shimmed sleepers, with plenty of water going. Use an accurately place batten for a saw guide, you will never see the line once the cut commences.
Granite is more difficult. Gabro is about the best material, in between in "difficulty".

Slate is a little tougher than granite, reason granite is usually spec'd thicker for same app. Though in a section as your propose, either one requires delicacy, and adequate support at all times to avoid creating multiple pieces. I would not spend extra for either material in long lengths given the risk, assemble 2 or 3 lengths as per a regular pool table.

Slate liners are traditionally *poplar, but can be anything. Ideally the wood is reasonably stable, takes staples well, not so soft they don't stick, and not so hard they won't go in or are impossible to remove. "Good" mahogany with straight grain would be a good choice, too. :D Whatever you use, on a "table" that long x narrow, don't count on the wood not moving over the seasons. But if you use 3 pcs of "stone" and have some sort of leveling options, it could work well.

*If i was using a wood material for support and not as a staple matrix, I'd probably use something like clear straight grain vertical grade Douglas fir or Sitka spruce. But that would be costly, and you won't reliably find either at a big box, dry enough to use. Rarely the Doug fir, if you know what to look for and have time to dry it and the equipment to work it; including rip and laminate for stability. Poplar works, is not quite as stable, and is more difficult to sort for true straight grain in long lengths.

I don't know how stable glue lams/micro-lams or/ LSL "timber strand" beams are, but they would be worth exploring and are cheap for the size and volume of material. Imagine used correctly one of those products could be good support, poor staple material. Just make sure whatever lumber product is dry at point of machining, & at set up.

smt

Last edited:

SlateMate

Banned

on some tables i've worked on it was both glued and screwed. i think youj'd be fine with just gluing it on. that's what i'd do... in fact, i threw away two pool tables and used the slate for a patio and tried to remove the glued-on backing and gave up and just layed it down on the ground with the wood still on. that glue holds very well. it will never come off.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
you give good advice here and it's greatly appreciated by we do-it-yourselfers. but this forum is specifically designed so that we can pick your brains for free and it's human nature to want to impart knowledge to your fellow cantankerous humans... all professions have similar forums even attorneys. go on youtube and watch " lehto's law" . the guy gives advice and has fun doing so, so it's not a waste at all and he alerts people to bad laws like Civil Asset Forfeiture.

i volunteered my time at a boxing gym teaching kids how to punch and i also volunteered at the humane society helping animals. i used to rescue animals in texas costing me a lot of money and even my safety when i rescued a pitbul from a mexican fighting ring. i went back and stole their chickens....

imparting our knowledge to others is human nature and why humans have become so successful. imagine if early humans had to pay for every bit of someones time. we'd still be stone-age peoples. in fact libraries were built to facilitate the transfer of free knowledge to the betterment of humanity.
here's the pit i rescued. she was the best dog i've ever owned. on the right is, Blubonnet and far left is Ralphy. all rescued from horrible situations costing me a lot but giving me much in return. they were my family but now are all long dead as we will soon be.

so, charge for your work not your advice because your work will not last nearly as long as what you teach.

First off, you are not a mechanic/ "technician"
so giving other people bad advice is not "ok"...

Second, Glen has helped so many people
over the years that it would make your head
spin, the fact that you DO NOT know that,
shows you have not searched this forum at all.
You mainly ask a million questions and sometimes
even answer your own questions with the wrong answer.
99% of most topics have been discussed on here,
do you know that you can search the entire
forum very easily, key word and everything!

Third, this forum is not called
"Let me tell you how do my job for you FOR FREE">...
Asking a simple question is ok, but, you are
absolutely wrong about most of what
you think this forum is for.

Trent from Toledo :thumbup:

SlateMate

Banned
i couldn't disagree more. i was responding to his post above. i mentioned that he helped people.

furthermore: Cobra is a big boy and can speak for himself.

Notice how many people respond to the posts here compared with the number of readers.
this is understandable given that so many of the mechanics have fragile egos and are quick to anger.

this forum is not called
"Let me tell you how do my job for you FOR FREE">...
Asking a simple question is ok, but, you are
absolutely wrong about most of what
you think this forum is for.

how many "simple questions" are permissible? ;) see, talking about this stuff is the fun part. as i mentioned, i can get the info elsewhere on the net but it WAS more fun to bounce it off the folks here but not any more. if it taxes you to give advice, don't. simple ain't it? but you spend a lot of your valuable time responding to a post that's not about you.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
i couldn't disagree more. i was responding to his post above. i mentioned that he helped people.

furthermore: Cobra is a big boy and can speak for himself.

Notice how many people respond to the posts here compared with the number of readers.
this is understandable given that so many of the mechanics have fragile egos and are quick to anger.

how many "simple questions" are permissible? ;) see, talking about this stuff is the fun part. as i mentioned, i can get the info elsewhere on the net but it WAS more fun to bounce it off the folks here but not any more. if it taxes you to give advice, don't. simple ain't it? but you spend a lot of your valuable time responding to a post that's not about you.

Not defending Glen, Just stating facts.

Dont turn this into anymore than it is:
You think we should all spend our time
answering your "project" questions.
Most of us on here do this for a living
full time.

I have been holding back and not saying
anything. You post constantly about nothing......
You obviously are bored, found a way to
get attention and like to waste peoples time.
The search function is an awesome feature
of the site. Your poject is just about over
and let me guess, the table you bought
is a piece of junk and you sold it in order
to waste more of other peoples time. In fact
the OP'S post had nothing to do with you either
and then you go as far as to rant about how
everyone's civic duty is to tell people how to
do their jobs and not get paid?? Buzz off dude.

Trent from Toledo

SlateMate

Banned
Buzz off dude.

another genius pool table mechanic speaks.

you and glen are why there are so many people reading here but not posting. they don't want to have to deal with keyboard commandos berating them over the internet. i don't blame them.

now you go off on a tangent about my pool table. weird... i think you should be banned.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
another genius pool table mechanic speaks.

you and glen are why there are so many people reading here but not posting. they don't want to have to deal with keyboard commandos berating them over the internet. i don't blame them.

now you go off on a tangent about my pool table. weird... i think you should be banned.

You read it all correctly. No keyboard commando, I am allowed my opinion and I stand behind every word I typed. Just to be clear.

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

DTL

You are asking a very broad question.

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZB Forum Rules Excerpt

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

To be included, there will be no ad hominem attacks. No name calling nor insults. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but calling them an idiot because of their opinion is not.

All posts will be kept civil."

I would add, if it were up to me, that members should be polite, and be kind to each other. Make the "best possible construction" of whatever people say or ask. Don't assume malice. Don't take things personally.

Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

Don't be a bully, and don't be a member of a bully's pack.

You don't own this forum, behave as if you were having a conversation as a guest, with another guest, in someone else's home.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

To be included, there will be no ad hominem attacks. No name calling nor insults. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but calling them an idiot because of their opinion is not.

All posts will be kept civil."

I would add, if it were up to me, that members should be polite, and be kind to each other. Make the "best possible construction" of whatever people say or ask. Don't assume malice. Don't take things personally.

Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

Don't be a bully, and don't be a member of a bully's pack.

You don't own this forum, behave as if you were having a conversation as a guest, with another guest, in someone else's home.

I broke no rules and gave my opinion. There was no bullying. I even offered advice to the OP.

Trent from Toledo

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are asking a very broad question. What brand and model table do you have?

Trent, OP does not have a table. He wants to build a "practice run" of long, narrow slate with a pocket at one end, to practice his stroke. Apparently since a full size table won't fit in his dwelling. Only reason i felt "competent" to reply. :wink: I've worked with all the materials, and spent my life trying to build assemblies that stay flat and straight.

My guess is he does not need the slate liners for cloth attachment, but wants to figure out how to support such a "contraption". IMO, it can be done if he has the means to level it.

I'll butt out, now.
Unless OP is in upstate NY ans wants to buy my 9' long x 18" wide CI assembly table, which is near surface plate flat if leveled? (May have a full length T-slot to fill, can't remember, it's in storage....)

smt

SlateMate

Banned
jviss: good job, we have to stick together to stop the attacks. some mechanics are using this forum to hit people up for money. that's clearly not what "ask a mechanic" section was intended to do. then i politely responded and was attacked by, trent. weird.... the moderator should take some action here. this has been going on long before i started posting and it's driving away potential posters.