Old
  (#31)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC9ball View Post
You should look at the cue ball last when:
Jacked up over a ball (TREE TOPPED)
Cue ball close or frozen to the rail
Jumping over a ball
Breaking
I agree with this as a good guideline.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#32)
nobcitypool
AzB Silver Member
nobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond repute

01-04-2018, 07:54 PM

DCP, having Scott visit would be a waste of time. Aside from the elbow moving a bit in to out on your stroke, your fundamentals are quite solid. I'm guessing you have cured the elbow flop by now. You guys have history and you just admitted you're not going to listen to several important things he's going to tell you.

It's been said to you many times, what you need is a steady dose of competition. I think you'll be surprised how solid your game is if you would spend the next year playing other people two or three times per week. More importantly, you would finally have a gauge for where your game really is.

If you're not going to go out and compete, WTF does it matter anyway? You would be the first person in the history of mankind to be able to walk into the arena at pro level by only practicing by yourself.

Playing Cue: Jensen with Revo 12.4 Shaft
Break Cue: OB Rift

Old
  (#33)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

01-05-2018, 05:18 AM

I was rewatching Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy UK Snooker Championship 2018, when I saw this shot I thought of this thread. It gives a very good look at Ronnies eye pattern on this one shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by He has indicated in the past that his last look can vary View Post
Question; "When you're, um, when you're down on this shot.... Are you, is the last the last ball you look at the cue ball? Or the object ball?"
Ronnie; "Uh I don't even know, to be honest with you."
Question; "No?"
Ronnie; "No, I don't even know. I suppose, it's meant to be the object ball, but I sometimes I find myself looking at the white."

The quality of play in this match is amazing.

https://youtu.be/OSKFOB4-Vtg?t=6143

Old
  (#34)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-05-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcantrall View Post
I was rewatching Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy UK Snooker Championship 2018, when I saw this shot I thought of this thread. It gives a very good look at Ronnies eye pattern on this one shot.

The quality of play in this match is amazing.

https://youtu.be/OSKFOB4-Vtg?t=6143
to me he looked at the object ball last
icbw

Old
  (#35)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

01-05-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
to me he looked at the object ball last
icbw
I got dizzy watching his eyes shift back and forth. I found the number of shifts interesting and could not tell where his eyes were at contact.

Old
  (#36)
Isaac
AzB Silver Member
Isaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 06:05 AM

I recently started experimenting with the following eye pattern: on the final back swing I look at the shaft concentrating on moving it in a perfect straight line. At the end of my backswing I move the eyes to OB ball, refocus and then shoot. This naturally creates longer pause between back and forward swings. Would be great to hear what Fran, Scott, Randy and other instructors think about that.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#37)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I recently started experimenting with the following eye pattern: on the final back swing I look at the shaft concentrating on moving it in a perfect straight line. At the end of my backswing I move the eyes to OB ball, refocus and then shoot. This naturally creates longer pause between back and forward swings. Would be great to hear what Fran, Scott, Randy and other instructors think about that.

There are different (eye pattern) strokes for different folks, but it's hard to go wrong with "stare that object ball down as you assume your stance, but recognize the ball in your vision will change as you lower into the stance, so look away (at your tip and cue ball for aim would be a help) and then look back at the object ball to refresh your sighting."

Also, if you like to look at the object ball last, hold still, relaxed, and gaze at the ob for two seconds (longer than most people think two seconds takes) after you've finished your final practice stroke and before you pull back that last stroke to shoot. Quiet eyes can even lead to the dead zone concentration where you don't consciously pull the trigger for the final stroke.

Shaft aiming works for some but not for all, since many players have the head rotated in the stance so that glancing at the shaft blurs the shaft in their vision or gives a false perspective on shaft alignment. If it "works for you," great. Although if I've taken a full backswing, ferrule to fingers, I'm using the tip to focus and not the shaft, right?

But do understand that for my students, "works for you" means they are pocketing balls with ease, and when they miss, they miss just outside the pocket points and aren't spraying shots a diamond or two diamonds away from the pocket.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#38)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

After looking back and forth, I prefer to switch my vision to the object ball for the last time, just before I start my final backstroke. Then I keep my eyes locked on the object ball from that point on. I don't like moving my eyes at any time during that final back and forth motion. This frees my mind up to concentrate on executing the shot, which is what I want at that point.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Last edited by FranCrimi; 01-24-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Old
  (#39)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

01-25-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
After looking back and forth, I prefer to switch my vision to the object ball for the last time, just before I start my final backstroke. Then I keep my eyes locked on the object ball from that point on. I don't like moving my eyes at any time during that final back and forth motion. This frees my mind up to concentrate on executing the shot, which is what I want at that point.

Iím sort of like that Fran and for same reasons mostly.

As I drop in and my hands sliding my eyes focus into the bullseye my tips on at the cb.....

By the time my stance is done Iím set with my eyes at the intended target and they never leave. And itís instantaneous.

All my flipping of eyes happens standing.

Itís not quite fitting into any of the textbook pep but thatís what Iíve always Had work best personally, and itís an every time thing.....besides jumps massesí etc of course

I think long ago I found myself too twitchy to be doing any moving when down at all besides moving my arm, I fight enough with fake sway due to ocean work.

When my tip and hand sets at the ball if itís not in proper position then any adjustment I make while down ainít doing me a dam big of good to begin with because then my alignment isnít correct with the shot line I chose.

So I see no need in general personally to look at my cb again......

I know things could shift. No there is no shift, if there was shift then my proverbial panel would flip red and blocking fuel to the starter much less any fuel going to ignition.

My tip of my rifle knows exactly where it is.....right where it should be....where I left it when I froze. At the end of my Barrell h:l/l/r doesnít matter that place is wher the hand begins and stays.

I tried putting that into words for Scott once but couldnít explain myself at the moment as to why and how I particularly do that.

And some think one pocket is slow some of my thoughts last a year on the docket before shipping off lol completed....lurking in the background lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this really helped me
Old
  (#40)
marikian
AzB Bronze Member
marikian is on a distinguished road

this really helped me - 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC9ball View Post
Eye patterns can be tricky.

This is what I teach:

1. settle into your shot
2. confirm your aim (Cue stick not moving)
3. look at the cue ball take your practice strokes (stop the cue stick)
4. transfer your eyes back to the object ball find your spot on the ball
5. back, pause, finish

This is just part of a PSR. I believe in the KISS method and try to simplify everything in can in this complex game.
I have been using this eye pattern with great results. It has made my pool game so much more consistent. Thanks to all for the great advice.

Old
  (#41)
goettlicher
PBIA Master Instructor
goettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marikian View Post
I have been using this eye pattern with great results. It has made my pool game so much more consistent. Thanks to all for the great advice.
Sounds perfect to me.

randyg

P.B.I.A Master Instructor
randyg
www.randygpool.com

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: