Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Something Your Teacher Can Teach You...
Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Something Your Teacher Can Teach You...
Old
  (#1)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member
denwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Something Your Teacher Can Teach You... - 11-22-2017, 10:09 AM

Look at the 2 ball on the end rail. How would you get shape on it? Here is a little video that I learned from my instructor. Just a little bit of "force follow" CB, hitting the rail first, enough to get shape. https://youtu.be/Y7cyXUkm8L4 Just a reason why you should find and learn from a valuable pool instructor. You can always learn more than you know.

* Mark Gregory walnut rails
*RKC set up w/ 42 pt. leveling system
*ProjectorProBilliards MicroComputer

Last edited by denwhit; 11-22-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2017, 10:24 AM

You mean rail first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
Look at the 2 ball on the end rail. How would you get shape on it? Here is a little video that I learned from my instructor. Just a little bit of "force follow" CB enough to get shape. https://youtu.be/Y7cyXUkm8L4 Just a reason why you should find and learn from a valuable pool instructor. You can always learn more than you know.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#3)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member
denwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_MD View Post
You mean rail first?
I changed the OP to mention that I did hit the rail first. Still take a bit of force follow CB to go down the table without hitting the obstruction balls. I am sure you know this but how many others do not?

Old
  (#4)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2017, 02:57 PM

That's a nice shot, but I would use low right, hit the ob directly, and let the cb hug the rail all the way down the table. Just a matter of preference, I guess.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#5)
Get_A_Grip
Truth Will Set You Free
Get_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 562

11-22-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
That's a nice shot, but I would use low right, hit the ob directly, and let the cb hug the rail all the way down the table. Just a matter of preference, I guess.
This is the shot that I was thinking. It looks like he pulled that shot off due to fairly new cloth maybe?

"The truth will set you free, after you've been beaten over the head with it until you accept it."

Old
  (#6)
BC21
Poolology
BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I like low here also -- for me it seems easier to control and more consistent to execute. But top spin shots do look nice.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#7)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member

11-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
True a couple of ways to hit the shot but there are many shots using FF that we would use if we thought about it. Just something nice to know....

Old
  (#8)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Look at the 2 ball on the end rail. How would you get shape on it? Here is a little video that I learned from my instructor. Just a little bit of "force follow" CB, hitting the rail first, enough to get shape. https://youtu.be/Y7cyXUkm8L4 Just a reason why you should find and learn from a valuable pool instructor. You can always learn more than you know.
Dr. Dave refers to that as rail dribble. The rolling cue ball does not lose momentum and continues back into the rail. Handy but hard to control accurately. You hit ball first and has to be a pretty full hit.

Old
  (#9)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Dr. Dave refers to that as rail dribble. The rolling cue ball does not lose momentum and continues back into the rail. Handy but hard to control accurately. You hit ball first and has to be a pretty full hit. He shows several examples and uses of it in his DVD series.

Old
  (#10)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member

11-23-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
Dr. Dave refers to that as rail dribble. The rolling cue ball does not lose momentum and continues back into the rail. Handy but hard to control accurately. You hit ball first and has to be a pretty full hit. He shows several examples and uses of it in his DVD series.
We call it force-follow and there are many examples where it is the only shot available to get the CB to where it needs to be.

Old
  (#11)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

11-23-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
We call it force-follow and there are many examples where it is the only shot available to get the CB to where it needs to be.
I mean he calls it rail dribble when you use force follow on a ball close to the rail, like a hanger, so the cue ball rebounds back then surges forward again. It is just the double pump into the rail which kills the cue ball and keeps it from bouncing back which refers to as the dribble part.

Yes, he demonstrates several uses. I try it, as you say, when it is the only good option but it is not a shot I am great at.

The most important part of this shot for me was learning not to hit the hanger too squarely if I wanted the cue ball to rebound back down table. Anything over 3/4 ball hit and it stalls out.

Last edited by skipbales; 11-23-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Old
  (#12)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member

11-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
I mean he calls it rail dribble when you use force follow on a ball close to the rail, like a hanger, so the cue ball rebounds back then surges forward again. It is just the double pump into the rail which kills the cue ball and keeps it from bouncing back which re refers to as the dribble part.

Yes, he demonstrates several uses. I do it, as you say, when it is the only good option but it is not a shot I am great at.

The most important part of this shot for me was learning not to hit the hanger too squarely if I wanted the cue ball to rebound back down table. Anything over 3/4 ball hit and it stalls out.
My teacher knows dozens of shots where it is the only way to get the CB to certain spots. He can use it for perfect position, bust out balls, perform safeties, etc. You don't want the 9 or 10 ball anywhere near a pocket or it will be gone. I posted this because there are a lot of pool players hating this shot because it occurs when they don't want it to for ball in jaws. But, it can be very useful to know.

Old
  (#13)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

11-25-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_A_Grip View Post
This is the shot that I was thinking. It looks like he pulled that shot off due to fairly new cloth maybe?
Yep. My thoughts too. Looks like the cb slid in a helpful way a bit there.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#14)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member

11-25-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Is it force follow if you hit a rail first?

Old
  (#15)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member

11-25-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Is it force follow if you hit a rail first?
I think force follow is the CB spinning forward like a car burning out on the tires, peeling rubber. If the CB does this and hits the OB first or the rail first, it's still "force-follow".

Page 1 of 8 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: