Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Pressure of bridge hand on table
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockbox View Post
In the October 2007 edition of InsidePOOL magazine, Allison Fisher wrote an article entitled "Back Foot First." While she is mainly discussing foot placement, she does state:

At the very least, it appears there is some debate here. My own experience tends to reinforce the belief that when i'm warm and shooting well, there seems to be more pressure on my left hand, which may be just that i'm more centered in my stance.
Yes, I'm very familiar with Allison's position on that. I'm not all that sure that she practices what she preaches, though. I've seen her play close up and even played against her in WPBA tournaments, and I saw a distinctive lean back and to the right in her stance. However, I did have a student who went to her pool school and came back from there leaning forward, so who knows? One thing for sure and that's that I'm absolutely certain that leaning back is the way to go because it puts your body in balance at the table. The backward lean of the bottom half counters the forward bend of the top half of the body.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Last edited by FranCrimi; 01-11-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Old
  (#17)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Yes, I'm very familiar with Allison's position on that. I'm not all that sure that she practices what she preaches, though. I've seen her play close up and even played against her in WPBA tournaments, and I saw a distinctive lean back and to the right in her stance. However, I did have a student who went to her pool school and came back from there leaning forward, so who knows? One thing for sure and that's that I'm absolutely certain that leaning back is the way to go because it puts your body in balance at the table. The backward lean of the bottom half counters the forward bend of the top half of the body.

In BOLD and I agree. Nice post Fran.

I asked a friend of mine back in the late 90's how he got into his stance, he explained to me that when he bends over to shoot he sits down in his stance. I said "What in the world is sitting down in the stance" his reply was "when you bend over into the shooting position stick your butt out". Fran is right this movement does balance your stance and relaxes the lower portion of your body. Fran calls it leaning back.

As for how much weight there should be on the bridge hand, I'll add that the amount of weight on the bridge hand should be just enough to get the left side (if your a right handed player) of your body out of the shot.

Whatever you do, do not put a lot of stress on your left shoulder. You will damage your shoulder. Been there done that, the pain got so bad I couldn't even raise my left arm. Really messed up my game so I quit for 10 years. Lesson learned.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: