Reload this Page Stroke straightness and Digicue blue
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Stroke straightness and Digicue blue
Old
  (#1)
lvlss42190
AzB Silver Member
lvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Stroke straightness and Digicue blue - 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM

Recently became much more serious about my game after a string of mistakes that cost me matches I should have never lost.

Purchased a Digicue blue to help analyze my stroke and any faults I consistently have. One of which appears as "straightness" in the app. It's the one thing that I cannot figure out how to fix. I have my ups and downs, however this is more like bad and worse.

I've attached 2 screenshots. One of my stats on a recent shot tonight while doing for Lowry stroke drill. The second is the in app description of what it measures.

Can someone better explain it to me or provide an explanation of how to fix It? Now that I'm aware of the issue I've tried different things I know of and nothing really seems to change that one particular issue.
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-13-2018, 06:06 PM

you need an instructor to watch you
go get lessons
jmho

Old
  (#3)
lvlss42190
AzB Silver Member
lvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond reputelvlss42190 has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 06:52 PM

I've reached out to Scott Lee to see when he will be nearby. Waiting on a response.

Old
  (#4)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

01-13-2018, 07:06 PM

If you use a pendulum stroke it will always have a bad score for straightness. Try dropping your elbow.

That straightness measure will only get a high score if the stick moves in a perfectly straight line, INCLUDING up and down.

I was one of the beta testers. I ended up customizing the settings, and removing the straightness component entirely. I kept the tip steer instead.

Old
  (#5)
lvlss42190
AzB Silver Member

01-13-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
If you use a pendulum stroke it will always have a bad score for straightness. Try dropping your elbow.

That straightness measure will only get a high score if the stick moves in a perfectly straight line, INCLUDING up and down.

I was one of the beta testers. I ended up customizing the settings, and removing the straightness component entirely. I kept the tip steer instead.
I understand that much but still feel like I should be better than 2.0 consistently

Old
  (#6)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

01-13-2018, 07:19 PM

Experiment with your elbow in order to get a perfect piston stroke, and a high score. If you donít like how that feels, then delete the straightness from the tracker

I also had to delete the finish tracker on mine. It wants you to stay still for an eternity.

Ymmv Good luck.

Old
  (#7)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-14-2018, 08:37 AM

lviss42190...Nice talking to you today! Looking forward to meeting with you,
to help you with this issue and many others!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlss42190 View Post
I've reached out to Scott Lee to see when he will be nearby. Waiting on a response.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#8)
Hinekanman
AzB Silver Member
Hinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond reputeHinekanman has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlss42190 View Post
I understand that much but still feel like I should be better than 2.0 consistently

I have the same problem. Canít fix it. I tried laying the cue flat on the table and hitting the cue ball like that. Straightness is fine then. I think you really have to keep that cue level. Itís annoying and frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#9)
nataddrho
AzB Silver Member
nataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinekanman View Post
I have the same problem. Canít fix it. I tried laying the cue flat on the table and hitting the cue ball like that. Straightness is fine then. I think you really have to keep that cue level. Itís annoying and frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Straightness measures how close your forward stroke is to a perfect piston stroke. You will score low if the cue moves in any direction other than straight along the stroke line. If there is a significant amount of vertical movement in your forward stroke, most commonly caused by a pendulum-type stroke, you will score low.

I don't want you to be annoyed and frustrated. It is OK to not have a high score in some areas, as long as you are aware of why that is. If you want to improve in those areas, you can. If you don't, then its OK to ignore it or turn it off. Use the values from the device as a characterization for your cue action rather than than a pass/fail judgement.

Note: Since the DigiCue BLUE measures straightness and tip steer only right before impact, it could be argued that a perfect pendulum stroke is traveling perfectly straight (with zero vertical force applied) at this time... and thus is possible to score high on straightness with a pendulum stroke. To do this you need to make sure your upward swing occurs after impact with a good follow through (not punchy).

Lead Engineer - OB Cues
Inventor of the DigiCue and DigiCue BLUE

Old
  (#10)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2018, 08:58 PM

What does 'straight' have to do with 'level'? They are unrelated. Sounds to me like a flaw in the program.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#11)
nataddrho
AzB Silver Member
nataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
What does 'straight' have to do with 'level'? They are unrelated. Sounds to me like a flaw in the program.
Fran,

They are unrelated, and there is not any flaw in the program. The DigiCue BLUE does not measure any parameter in relation to elevation angle, or what you are referring to as level. The device will perform the same regardless of cue elevation (unless very large elevations are used, >45 degrees).

The DigiCue BLUE does measure parameters in relation to the stroke line (but not the shot line).

Straightness measures the deviation from the three-dimensional vector path of the stroke line.

Regards.

Lead Engineer - OB Cues

Digicue Blue and the Pure Pendulum Stroke
Old
  (#12)
PoolCat
AzB Bronze Member
PoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond reputePoolCat has a reputation beyond repute

Digicue Blue and the Pure Pendulum Stroke - 01-15-2018, 03:55 AM

The blue has been valuable to me in identifying stroke error. I also have a pendulum stroke. I changed to a piston stroke and progressed through the Advanced level. But it bothered me that I had to leave the pendulum behind.

Well it turns out that there seems to be one move that allows the pendulum stroke to move through the advanced. On my stroke there is a raising of the wrist on my follow through which drives the tip down towards the cloth. This raising occurs before ball contact (slightly) and continues into my follow through. This ruins the statistics.

So, I worked on this arching of the wrist so that my stroke was more parallel with the cloth before contact and after contact.

For me this is a better stroke. And the Digicue Blue is happy !

Old
  (#13)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataddrho View Post
Fran,

They are unrelated, and there is not any flaw in the program. The DigiCue BLUE does not measure any parameter in relation to elevation angle, or what you are referring to as level. The device will perform the same regardless of cue elevation (unless very large elevations are used, >45 degrees).

The DigiCue BLUE does measure parameters in relation to the stroke line (but not the shot line).

Straightness measures the deviation from the three-dimensional vector path of the stroke line.

Regards.
Then I guess I must have misunderstood an earlier comment by you (see below). It seemed to me that you were saying that cue elevation did have an impact on straightness score:

Your comment: "Note: Since the DigiCue BLUE measures straightness and tip steer only right before impact, it could be argued that a perfect pendulum stroke is traveling perfectly straight (with zero vertical force applied) at this time... and thus is possible to score high on straightness with a pendulum stroke. To do this you need to make sure your upward swing occurs after impact with a good follow through (not punchy)."

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#14)
tableroll
AzB Silver Member
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataddrho View Post
Straightness measures how close your forward stroke is to a perfect piston stroke. You will score low if the cue moves in any direction other than straight along the stroke line. If there is a significant amount of vertical movement in your forward stroke, most commonly caused by a pendulum-type stroke, you will score low.

I don't want you to be annoyed and frustrated. It is OK to not have a high score in some areas, as long as you are aware of why that is. If you want to improve in those areas, you can. If you don't, then its OK to ignore it or turn it off. Use the values from the device as a characterization for your cue action rather than than a pass/fail judgement.

Note: Since the DigiCue BLUE measures straightness and tip steer only right before impact, it could be argued that a perfect pendulum stroke is traveling perfectly straight (with zero vertical force applied) at this time... and thus is possible to score high on straightness with a pendulum stroke. To do this you need to make sure your upward swing occurs after impact with a good follow through (not punchy).
What is an upward swing? I know of only backswing and foreswing.

Old
  (#15)
nataddrho
AzB Silver Member

01-15-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableroll View Post
What is an upward swing? I know of only backswing and foreswing.
A pendulum stroke moves along a vertical plane. I am calling an upward swing the end of the foreswing in which the butt of the cue has both vertical and forward velocity.
Attached Images

Lead Engineer - OB Cues

Last edited by nataddrho; 01-15-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: