Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Mental game ignoring the doubters
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Welder84
AzB Silver Member
Welder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-24-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataddrho View Post
I think you're fine with a small backstroke because you properly push through the ball to transfer energy, which many players don't do. You probably stroke like a carom player, and those players have the best strokes in the world.
I appreciate your feedback. Thank you

Old
  (#17)
eazyace
AzB Silver Member
eazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond reputeeazyace has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Having poor concentration and running 80 balls are contradictory. You concentrate just fine.

I bet you have trouble with certain long shots and power shots. A short backstroke is necessary on some shots but it's only one weapon in a pool player's arsenal. I guarantee that your short backstroke started out of fear. You probably missed some shots and started tightening everything up, and now it's a habit.

Your critics aren't wrong. But it's clear that you're unwilling to change, so you're just going to have to grin and bear it.
x2 on the above statement.

I dont know many people who can run 80 balls. This is a pool forum where only pool players reside and i bet not even 20% of people here can run 80+ balls.

If you changed to longer stroke you prob run 150 balls but as mentioned you might not want to change since you have been doing if for so long.

Dont let others get you down man. 80+ is solid!

Old
  (#18)
Welder84
AzB Silver Member
Welder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyace View Post
x2 on the above statement.

I dont know many people who can run 80 balls. This is a pool forum where only pool players reside and i bet not even 20% of people here can run 80+ balls.

If you changed to longer stroke you prob run 150 balls but as mentioned you might not want to change since you have been doing if for so long.

Dont let others get you down man. 80+ is solid!
I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Old
  (#19)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder84 View Post
My stroke developed because it was easier to control the cue ball, been that way since I was 12. I am willing to make small adjustments and welcome suggestions. Thanks
Oh, I get it now....you hate change. It's okay. Lots of players are like you. Small adjustments aren't going to do anything for you. Either put in the work or don't bother.

Back to your original question about how to handle the critics: Take their advice. But if you won't, then ignore them.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Last edited by FranCrimi; 01-24-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Old
  (#20)
Welder84
AzB Silver Member

01-25-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Oh, I get it now....you hate change. It's okay. Lots of players are like you. Small adjustments aren't going to do anything for you. Either put in the work or don't bother.

Back to your original question about how to handle the critics: Take their advice. But if you won't, then ignore them.
I think you are a little intense. If Kieth Mccready said he was struggling with his mental game and people being critical of his form would your response be straighten your sidearm out. Or could you fine tune what he needs help with. Because I work many hours and play fairly well to begin with the nuclear option is not needed. Now if you have drills to lengthen my stroke a little at a time I am all ears. Its not about being lazy for alot of us pool is a luxury, I play 3-6 hours a week max. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: