Spin
Old
  (#1)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Spin - 01-23-2018, 05:20 PM

I heard DeLiberto comment the other night about a cut shot one of the players was making....."he doesn't need to put any spin on the cue ball for position, the angle of the cut with just a straight high ball will put running spin on the cueball just from the collision".
I've played pool for a 'thousand years' and never thought about that too much. I realize that on a cut shot say to the left, the object ball will pick up right spin from the collision, but I never thought about the cueball doing likewise.
Before I go to the torture chamber and experiment using a striped ball as the cueball to see for myself, I'd like to know if this is true. (or if it does happen am I just unknowingly applying spin due to a crummy hit).

Just call me "Harmless who can't make a Ball".....

Last edited by Low500; 01-23-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Spin
Old
  (#2)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

Spin - 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM

Happens in banks alot multi rail no English necessary as the angles in and out create run and hold on their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#3)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 08:55 AM

I've heard of collision induced throw, but collision induced spin? Never heard that one before. I hope Bob Jewett can weigh in on that. Great question.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#4)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Happens in banks alot multi rail no English necessary as the angles in and out create run and hold on their own

Not so sure about that. I always remember having to add a tip of running English to help hold the line.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#5)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 09:07 AM

I didnít say all of them Fran, just that they are there. 3 in the side or 4 in the corner are a few that come up tegurlary

Old
  (#6)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

01-24-2018, 01:58 PM

Any spin created by hitting another ball would be minimal at best. The cue ball will pick up spin any time it hits a rail at any angle other that straight into the cushion,

Steve Jennings
PBIA Master Instructor

www.playbetterbilliards.com

Old
  (#7)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

01-25-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
I heard DeLiberto comment the other night about a cut shot one of the players was making....."he doesn't need to put any spin on the cue ball for position, the angle of the cut with just a straight high ball will put running spin on the cueball just from the collision".
I've played pool for a 'thousand years' and never thought about that too much. I realize that on a cut shot say to the left, the object ball will pick up right spin from the collision, but I never thought about the cueball doing likewise.
Before I go to the torture chamber and experiment using a striped ball as the cueball to see for myself, I'd like to know if this is true. (or if it does happen am I just unknowingly applying spin due to a crummy hit).
Without reading DeL's mind, he may have missed the fact that he puts a dash of spin on it with his approach angle or cue stick motion, subconsciously.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#8)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
The cue ball almost always gets some side spin from a cut shot. The only exception is when the cue ball has just enough outside spin for gearing rolling across the object ball. The amount required to do that depends on how large the cut is (pretty obviously).

If you want to see this for yourself, spot two balls on the foot spot, just as you would spot balls in a game that requires it. Separate them by a tiny gap. From an angle of 45 degrees to the line of the balls (for example, shooting from a foot pocket) shoot straight at the nearer ball without any side on the cue ball. That ball will go straight to the side cushion. I don't think it will bounce straight off the side cushion. Shoot the shot firmly.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Good experiment..and thanks
Old
  (#9)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Good experiment..and thanks - 01-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
The cue ball almost always gets some side spin from a cut shot. The only exception is when the cue ball has just enough outside spin for gearing rolling across the object ball. The amount required to do that depends on how large the cut is (pretty obviously).
If you want to see this for yourself, spot two balls on the foot spot, just as you would spot balls in a game that requires it. Separate them by a tiny gap. From an angle of 45 degrees to the line of the balls (for example, shooting from a foot pocket) shoot straight at the nearer ball without any side on the cue ball. That ball will go straight to the side cushion. I don't think it will bounce straight off the side cushion. Shoot the shot firmly.
Good experiment.
Thank you for your time......and it's hard to beat the price.
I've seen you play before in action for keeps..you know what it's all about. That's what an instructor should be, in my opinion. Able to go at it in combat and demonstrate what they teach under the heat.
(unlike some of those fat overweight bums who think they know everything)
You're a credit to the game and I appreciate it.
Keep on truckin'

Old
  (#10)
greyghost
exile

01-26-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Good experiment.

Thank you for your time......and it's hard to beat the price.

I've seen you play before in action for keeps..you know what it's all about. That's what an instructor should be, in my opinion. Able to go at it in combat and demonstrate what they teach under the heat.

(unlike some of those fat overweight bums who think they know everything)

You're a credit to the game and I appreciate it.

Keep on truckin'

Dam like at least half of the games players are a quarter ball overlap....harsh 🤣

Forrest was a prophet

Old
  (#11)
Low500
AzB Silver Member

01-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Dam like at least half of the games players are a quarter ball overlap....harsh ��
Forrest was a prophet
...I guess you do have a point there.
I wasn't talking about 'just a little overweight'.....lots of us have that, including me.
I was referring to some of the obese "fat bellies with the big cigars" who think they're kings and sacred cows.
Here's to pizza and draft beer!

Old
  (#12)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
...I guess you do have a point there.
I wasn't talking about 'just a little overweight'.....lots of us have that, including me.
I was referring to some of the obese "fat bellies with the big cigars" who think they're kings and sacred cows.
Here's to pizza and draft beer!
I would love to hear your opinion of Buddy Hall.

Steve Jennings
PBIA Master Instructor

www.playbetterbilliards.com

Old
  (#13)
Low500
AzB Silver Member

01-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooltchr View Post
I would love to hear your opinion of Buddy Hall.
I got to get better at being thorough...I keep having to clean up loose ends. Sorry for my incompetence...(I write like I shoot pool..not so hot).
I'm talking about some instructors who think they're God's gift to the world...and can't make a ball in combat when the pressure is on 'em. Not referring to championship players who've just slipped up physically along the way.
And for what it's worth, remember when Buddy was in his prime, he was a lean mean fighting machine who could go at it for hours..so was Ronnie Allen,....I don't know why those fellas let themselves go like they did. Really bad on the health.
Many professional athletes seem to do that....I recall seeing Joe Louis before he died and he was almost like a blob. I guess they just stop training..?
Just my opinion though, and really doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the overall big picture.
Stay happy.

Last edited by Low500; 01-27-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Old
  (#14)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2018, 10:13 AM

below is a pic from freddy the beard's bentivegna book "banking with the beard "
also have you noticed if you put an object ball on the line between the centers of the side pocket and pocket the ball and want to make the cue ball go perpendicular into the short rail and back uptable in a straight line you need a small amount of inside english to counter the running english imparted from the collision
or you can do it with a small amount of follow so that the cue goes forward alittle and then the spin brings it back along the line you want
the billiard books also have you adjust the spins with the systems depending whether you are going off the "inside ' or outside" of ball 2
hope this helps
i am not an instructor
Name:  beard pic 2 collision induced spin.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  161.6 KB

Old
  (#15)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2018, 10:14 AM

i am sorry for the large pic
i have a new laptop and havent figured out how to make the uploads smaller...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: