Power Supply for powerfeed

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
What are most using for a power supply for the powerfeed on your Taig lathes ?? I want something that has variable speed so I can control the speed on the motor and not just one speed. I saw a few used digital tattoo power supply but I've tried that and having zero luck with that. I think I may have a bad power supply but not 100% sure. Just wondering what others are using ???

Lee Casto

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
What was the problem with the tattoo supply? All that is needed it a 1/4" plug that has the two pins soldered together and inserted into the jack.That replaces the footpedal they would normally use. Take the output, + and - and connect to your motor switch, if it don't work, contact the seller and get a replacement. I use one on my deluxe and it works fine. Shoot me a pm with phone # and I'm sure we can work it out.
Trust me, these are the best to do the job...especially for the money.
Dave

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
What was the problem with the tattoo supply? All that is needed it a 1/4" plug that has the two pins soldered together and inserted into the jack.That replaces the footpedal they would normally use. Take the output, + and - and connect to your motor switch, if it don't work, contact the seller and get a replacement. I use one on my deluxe and it works fine. Shoot me a pm with phone # and I'm sure we can work it out.
Trust me, these are the best to do the job...especially for the money.
Dave

Dave..... not sure of the problem. It powers on but I have no power output to my motor. I KNOW for certain my motor is good and my wiring is correct. I can hook it to a known good power source and it works fine. Left...stop...right... just as it should. Hook it back up to tattoo power supply and get zero.

My next step was to buy a different, maybe better plug. I used one that they supplied for the foot pedal, soldered my wires straight to it, still get nothing.

Should I be using a different plug than one they supplied ???

Lee Casto

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
My hightower has a screw type power feed. It is driven by 110 vdc gear motor. The power supply is simple.

It's a 600w light dimmer switch with a diode in series. It supplies the motor with a variable voltage, half wave rectified DC. It has worked flawlessly for over 3 years.

Kim

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Never had an issue with this. Works very well and much more control than the switch type.

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also use the Tattoo power supply and it works great.

Anther option that works good is a train set power supply RailPower 1370. You can find them pretty cheap on Ebay.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Never had an issue with this. Works very well and much more control than the switch type.

That's pretty neat Eric, brings back old memories of playing with my old train as a kid,LOL. Might have to look into that if I can't get this tattoo power supply to work.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Dave and Busbee........

May I ask which controller you guys used ?? Did you have to do anything special to wire them up and make them work. Having no tattoos and never seen a tattoo gun in person, I have no clue as to how they work.

I have 2 places for plugs on the front panel. A foot switch and some kind of clip thingy came with it, both had plugs on them to plug into those places. Am I suppose to use BOTH plugs to wire my switch up or just one ??

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
FIXED !!!!! Thank you..... thank you..... thank you Todd Schultz, you are fricking awesome !!!

Lee Casto

GatzkeCues

It used to be a hobby
Silver Member
I've been using the exact same thing as Eric's for at least 10 years, I bet. Absolutely no problems at all.