Help buying first cue

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Does anybody know what this is? It looks like a real inlay, has a uniloc joint and he says that it only fits lucasi or predator shafts, but doesn't know what brand...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/757237791715357/

Still for some reason can't make it to the facebook page with the Pechauers.

Can't tell what it is from those pics and looks to be a butt only, so you would need to buy a shaft as well.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Does anybody know what this is? It looks like a real inlay, has a uniloc joint and he says that it only fits lucasi or predator shafts, but doesn't know what brand...

Heres also a Meucci for 275.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1024691877978511/

I definitely would go used if I can find something I know is a good deal. Problem is that I don't know cues enough to know what I'm looking at. I feel like that first one could be a nice cue that hes just getting rid of but doesn't know what he has but I have no clue.

That first listing is a perfect example of why punctuation and grammar and decent writing are so important for being able to understand what someone is trying to say. I think this is what his listing is trying to say:
"Nice clean cue with Uniloc joint. Lucasi and Predator shafts can be found that will fit the Uniloc joint style. This is the butt only that is being sold, there is no shaft that comes with it."

It doesn't say what brand the cue actually is, but since most or all Lucasi's come with the Uniloc joint, and because he mentioned Lucasi's as being a shaft that would fit it, and because it fits within the typical looks range for Lucasi's, my guess would be that it is a Lucasi butt, but it is an uncertain guess. If it is a Lucasi it would say so on the cue though, so the seller would know what it was unless it was refinished at some point and the logo was lost in the process, but most owners of cues in this price range would not get it refinished because it doesn't make financial sense to do so. So if it doesn't have a logo, it might be more likely just to be an unlogo'ed cheap import cue of some kind and of questionable quality.

All things considered, I think you can do much better in price/value than either listing here and would bypass these two. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did you see when you clicked on the link I posted?

Search for the facebook group "Open Billiards Market", then request to join the group if that is required. Then click on the magnifying glass icon and search that group for "Michael Littman". That will present you with a list of all the things he is selling (he sells a lot of stuff). Here is the direct link, which you can try:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/232223943597556/search?q=michael littman

About the sixth item down the list, you should see this picture:

rack_of_pechs.jpg

It looks like a real inlay, has a uniloc joint and he says that it only fits lucasi or predator shafts, but doesn't know what brand...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7237791715357/
old_lucasi.jpeg

Tell him to look at the end of the butt to see if there is a brand name written there. I noticed that his pictures do not show the end of the butt, which can get pretty chewed up. That cue looks like it could be an old version of this Lucasi cue:

green_lucasi.jpeg

One thing you have to ask when buying a used cue is: "Does the cue roll perfectly straight?" You don't want to buy a warped cue.

Last edited:

Enigma86

Registered
What did you see when you clicked on the link I posted?

Search for the facebook group "Open Billiards Market", then request to join the group if that is required. Then use the search bar to search that group for "Michael Littman". That will present you with a list of all the things he is selling (he sells a lot of stuff). Here is the direct link, which you can try:

One thing you have to ask when buying a used cue is: "Does the cue roll perfectly straight?" You don't want to buy a warped cue.

It just went to a blank screen. Yeah its a private group so I had to request access. So that is pending. Those Pechauers I would say are something I'm looking at for sure as a top 3 option at least. Great price for the options I get to pick. I had found those on ebay but without any way of selecting shaft diameter.

Ok I'll ask the guy about the roll. You found the same Lucasi that I did, I thought it looked similar too. I honestly thought that 80 for a lucasi butt would be a pretty good deal. But maybe not...

Do you have any opinions to the lucasi's that I linked from ebay? NOT complaining at all, I have received so much information and help, its great. Starting to feel like the more I dig the more confused I get, Shmelke, Joss, Pechauer, McDermott...it just keeps going. Haha.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just went to a blank screen. Yeah its a private group so I had to request access. So that is pending. Those Pechauers I would say are something I'm looking at for sure as a top 3 option at least. Great price for the options I get to pick. I had found those on ebay but without any way of selecting shaft diameter.

Ok I'll ask the guy about the roll. You found the same Lucasi that I did, I thought it looked similar too. I honestly thought that 80 for a lucasi butt would be a pretty good deal. But maybe not...

Do you have any opinions to the lucasi's that I linked from ebay? NOT complaining at all, I have received so much information and help, its great. Starting to feel like the more I dig the more confused I get, Shmelke, Joss, Pechauer, McDermott...it just keeps going. Haha.

I would not buy a used cue off of eBay.
Buying a used cue off one of the top sellers on AZB would be a much better idea.
At this point you are getting more and more confused.
The Schmelke,Joss,Pechauer and McDermott you referenced above all all solid choices.
I would just pick one you like thats in your price range from the four and buy it.
Maybe give Best Quality Billiards another shot,try before buy is really a good option.
I'm still available to help in person if you can manage it.
You can send me a private message on here.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You found the same Lucasi that I did, I thought it looked similar too. I honestly thought that 80 for a lucasi butt would be a pretty good deal. But maybe not...
I've read on here that Lucasi cues are made in China--just like a lot of the inexpensive cues. Lucasi's come in a wide range of prices--just like the other brands. I will say that I wasn't impressed by the cues that Lucasi offers. It's all a matter of taste, though. For instance, I would never buy a Joss cue because I think they are the ugliest cues I've ever seen. Find something that you like the looks of in your price range. No matter what cue you buy, it will play much better than the crappy house cues you have been playing with. At least with the house cues I was playing with, I could find one with a good enough tip so that I could draw the ball a foot or two.

Pechauer cues are made in the USA, and I've read that they even grow their own wood. McDermott cues are also made in the USA. Both have lifetime warranties, although for the sub $200 McDermotts the warranty doesn't cover warpage.

Another American cue maker is OB Cues, and their cues start at around $450, but you might be able to find a used one in your price range. As far as I can tell, OB cues and Predator were leading the market in high tech, low deflection shafts, but then one of OB's founders died and the company struggled for a year, went through a bankruptcy, and now they are making a comeback.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Everyone knows the secret to being a great pool player is ownership of a 20K Black Bore. <<<--- that was humor.

Maybe all you need is something like a "Player Brand" SP, and time to learn to use the Cue you choose for learning to run rack of balls.

It is the Indian, not the Arrow.:D

For a "player" - I really like the new cues JOSS is making. They range from affordable to expensive. I like the taper and quality of the shafts...and the way they HIT with whatever tip (Triangle?) they use, and they are American made (if that's important to you). My buddy has a basic JOSS in the $300 range(?) that plays as good as anything.

Their newer cues hit amazing, in my opinion. Better then anything they ever made in the past. So, for under $250, I would get that new Joss sneaky on ebay. That is one of their newer cues, with the Joss logo on the shaft, and I am sure it probably hits super nice.

I have had many of their older cues, from the 80's, and 90's, and their newer ones just seem to be on a new level.

Same can be said about Lucasi cues. The newer ones are on a new level of quality.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
To the OP. The problem with buying schmelke and joss IMO is that you stated you may want to upgrade shafts eventually. Don't know what if any better shaft either of those 2 companies offer.

McDermott & Pechauer both have ld & CF shafts. Never hot with either of the companies ld shafts so couldn't say which is better but the Pechauer cf is much better than the McDermott cf.

Lucasi isn't American made. I owned one many many years ago and it played decent.but I never used the original shaft.

What I like about pechauer above all the rest is that they do more for the Juniors in US pool than any other company around. That's one of the reasons I decided to spend money with their product.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I am sorry, but it is very clear to me that that is not a good quality cue.

So, for under $250, I would get that new Joss sneaky on ebay.

Not at all trying to be mean here Justin, but do you not see the irony in that the person who has needed and still needs and requests more cue advice than anybody in the history of this place is trying to give cue advice to someone else?

Heres also a Meucci for 275.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1024691877978511/

I definitely would go used if I can find something I know is a good deal. Problem is that I don't know cues enough to know what I'm looking at. I feel like that first one could be a nice cue that hes just getting rid of but doesn't know what he has but I have no clue.

The design of the 1st cue really reminds me of a Lucasi, and it has the Uni Loc joint, which comes standard for many Lucasi cues. Description says that it only comes with the butt, so you would need a Uni Loc shaft for it. Looks nice though.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Here's a used blue McDermott for $150:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/used-mcder...5f8a:g:orMAAOSw3ZRfWUjA&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Or, you can buy it new for $225, with a lifetime warranty against warpage and a free case here:

https://www.billiards.com/cues/mcde...XRssa-3q8M6IjTkacoieJQVZEBBDnht4aAogQEALw_wcB

Out of all the pool players alive today, that model (in one of its dozen plus color choices) might just be the model that more pool players started their pool career with than any other, or that more players have owned at one time during their pool career for that matter. Solid cue, solid company that has been around for decades treating people right, American made, and best warranty in the business (each of those things also happen to apply to Pechauer and Schmelke as well).

It would be a solid choice. Considering the pretty moderate cost difference here, the moderate risks that can come with buying used on Ebay including that it may not be in the condition described etc, the warranty that only comes to the original purchaser (looked it up, doesn't transfer), and the free case (even though it only holds one cue, still nice to have), I would buy the new one if I were only deciding between the two cues above even though I'm often a fan of buying used cues but the cost difference just doesn't outweigh the benefits here.

Here are the other currently produced colors (and retailers might even have new old stock of a discontinued color or two as well who knows):
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermott_pool_cues_maple.php

Last edited:

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Not at all trying to be mean here Justin, but do you not see the irony in that the person who has needed and still needs and requests more cue advice than anybody in the history of this place is trying to give cue advice to someone else?

So he got banned again today, but still has multiple user names active? :confused:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
So he got banned again today, but still has multiple user names active? :confused:

I'm sure he does or will just make more as soon as he runs out. I didn't report him and while I understand people's frustration with him at times, I would personally probably let him stay because he is harmless for the most part (not trying to have that debate here with anyone, there is already a thread for that lol) and I'm not generally in favor of people being banned for "annoyingness" they aren't doing intentionally and maliciously, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be corrected when he is wrong about something or out of line either lol.

terpdad

Registered
I hit a few balls today w/ some of the cues that came w/ my table, incl. an Energy by Players. The thing hits damn good, certainly well enough that a game wouldn't be won or lost b/c of it, comes w/ a common joint (5/16 x 18) that you can easily put an aftermarket shaft on, & the whole cue costs < 1/3 what my Predator shaft cost.

My point to all this is you aren't going to make a bad decision. Just relax & find a cue you like the looks of. You will be fine!

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if I were only deciding between the two cues above even though I'm often a fan of buying used cues but the cost difference just doesn't outweigh the benefits here.

I agree. I put more value on lifetime warranties than most people seem to. Also, for the cost of shipping and a new tip, you can send your cue to McDermott and they will completely refurbish it for you:

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/maintenance_plan.php

I'm not sure if that is cost effective, but at least you have that option.

It looks like that blue Pechauer cue at Seyberts is gone now. :(

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Spend $400.00 and get a nice cue that will hold-up you'll be proud of for a long time. $200.00 or less is a non-starter IMO.