Danny Jones

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a boyhood friend of Danny Jones.
Can anyone tell me the year he died, what city he died in, and where he is buried.
Thank you.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure

He was in Dallas for a while in his later years at C.J.'s place. I recounted to him
the time he got me into the back room at Johnston City. I was just a 17 year old
kid hanging around the Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas. I was hanging out with
my friends Alf Taylor and Billy Stroud and winning more money than I even knew
there was. Alf and Billy had both been to Johnston City, and I heard all the stories.
I had to go. Jack Terry. a very good player also was a regular there and when he
heard I was going he gave me a note and asked me to give it Danny as he knew
he would be there.I get there and watched some matches and then people start
heading to the action room. I was trying to figure out how I was going to get in
and here comes Handsome Danny heading that way. I tell him I have a note
for him from Jack Terry in Dallas. He starts talking to me about what was happening
in Dallas the whole time we are walking into the action room. I felt 10 feet tall.
From then on when I would start walking in if he wasn't there to motion me on in
someone would say he's okay he's with Danny. Man oh Man. When I told him about
it at C.J."s so many years after that he says sure he remembers. If he did or not
doesn't matter, it is still one of favorite pool memory's. Sorry Low500 I know this
was not what you were asking about but when I saw his name it just brought
back such a fond memory I couldn't help myself.
jack

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its been a while maybe 10 years
danny was really a great player

best wishes
dean

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was in Dallas for a while in his later years at C.J.'s place. I recounted to him
the time he got me into the back room at Johnston City. I was just a 17 year old
kid hanging around the Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas. I was hanging out with
my friends Alf Taylor and Billy Stroud and winning more money than I even knew
there was. Alf and Billy had both been to Johnston City, and I heard all the stories.
I had to go. Jack Terry. a very good player also was a regular there and when he
heard I was going he gave me a note and asked me to give it Danny as he knew
he would be there.I get there and watched some matches and then people start
heading to the action room. I was trying to figure out how I was going to get in
and here comes Handsome Danny heading that way. I tell him I have a note
for him from Jack Terry in Dallas. He starts talking to me about what was happening
in Dallas the whole time we are walking into the action room. I felt 10 feet tall.
From then on when I would start walking in if he wasn't there to motion me on in
someone would say he's okay he's with Danny. Man oh Man. When I told him about
it at C.J."s so many years after that he says sure he remembers. If he did or not
doesn't matter, it is still one of favorite pool memory's. Sorry Low500 I know this
was not what you were asking about but when I saw his name it just brought
back such a fond memory I couldn't help myself.
jack
Thank you for your kind reply.
I'm sure someone will have an answer somewhere along the way.
Just doing some searching for some high school people in Kennesaw, Ga.
Thanks again for this anecdote.
:thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
First time I saw Handsome Danny Jones....he looked like this...

765CE190-6A9E-4173-B037-04A9F362EEB9.jpeg

He was the current American snooker champion, played all games well...
....and looked like a movie star.....that’s Danny, far right

The last time I saw Danny was 1989 at the Memphis Open...
...he had a neck problem from a car accident...had to be 4 inches shorter...
...he lost his match hill/hill, but playing was a strain on him...
...he told the audience “Don’t ever get old.”

B845AEF0-8659-46B9-98F8-7434EF977F15.jpeg

We went for a coffee....talked some old times...I always respected him for coming to
Canada and trying the 6x12 games.

He played Fatty one pocket once for his last $500...let the thou ride..let the two Gs ride.
...Fatty won the game that wouldv’e had him stuck 4 thousand....
...Danny felt it would’ve got real interesting if he’d won a few more...he was gonna double
till he got to the bottom of the well.

Danny passed some time in the 90s....can’t remember the year.
One of my favorite characters....and managed to act very civilized in action.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

View attachment 493138

The last time I saw Danny was 1989 at the Memphis Open...
...he had a neck problem from a car accident...had to be 4 inches shorter...
...he lost his match hill/hill, but playing was a strain on him...
...he told the audience “Don’t ever get old.”

View attachment 493139

We went for a coffee....talked some old times...I always respected him for coming to
Canada and trying the 6x12 games.

He played Fatty one pocket once for his last $500...let the thou ride..let the two Gs ride.
...Fatty won the game that wouldv’e had him stuck 4 thousand....
...Danny felt it would’ve got real interesting if he’d won a few more...he was gonna double
till he got to the bottom of the well.

He used to come down to Tampa every year mid-to-late 70s to the Citrus open at Baker's. He never won but he cashed more than once. Played really, really well. And was a gentleman. I was just a kid but I spoke with him multiple times. He was always very nice and very gracious. And, I remember, clearly, him saying "Never get old." I had no idea what he really meant then. I have a much, much better idea, now...

Last edited:

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Johnson (Jensen Cues) made some "Danny Jones" sneaky pete type cues 15-20 years ago. They were signed by Danny and were limited in quantity. Each cue signed as a 1 of 100 or some limited quantity. Ha a nice looking Hoppe ring butt cap. Anyone see these around anymore?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 493138
Yep, that's the way I remember him.
That must have been in Johnston City because that's little Squirrel Carpenter on his right...I think Marshall won the one-pocket and Jones the 9-Ball that year. (and one of the Jansco bros.) I wasn't there in '63 through '69.
Thank you much.
Keep it coming.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He used to come down to Tampa every year mid-to-late 70 to the Citrus open at Baker's. He never won but he cashed more than once. Played really, really well. And was a gentleman. I was just a kid but I spoke with him multiple times. He was always very nice and very gracious. And, I remember, clearly, him saying "Never get old." I had no idea what he really meant then. I have a much, much better idea, now...
Thank you for this input.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny had a poolroom for a couple of years in Columbus, Ohio in the mid 60's. I had enrolled at Ohio State for my Junior year after dropping out of Oklahoma U. Once I discovered Danny's poolroom, college was all over for me again. I wanted to play pool more than I wanted to go to school. I lasted exactly one semester at Ohio State and after dropping out the U.S. Army enrolled me next. Ft. Polk here we come! :D

P.S. This was pre car accident and Danny was still a top player. No one in Columbus had any chance with him and he played any road man who wandered in. Little Miami hung out in there too and would play anyone one handed. He hustled me one handed to two and beat me out of $25 or $30 playing One Pocket. I was still learning at that point in time.

Last edited:

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He came to Newnan,Ga. in the late 60's or early 70's, cant remember and put on an exhibition at Woody Craven's pool room. Put on a great show. Me(Larry Hayes) Scottie Bowie played him a game of snooker. I came out first with Scottie in second. Tells you he was just playing with us, Always remembered that.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Danny had a poolroom for a couple of years in Columbus, Ohio in the mid 60's. I had enrolled at Ohio State for my Junior year after dropping out of Oklahoma U. Once I discovered Danny's poolroom, college was all over for me again. I wanted to play pool more than I wanted to go to school. I lasted exactly one semester at Ohio State and after dropping out the U.S. Army enrolled me next. Ft. Polk here we come! :D

Tigerland!!! Been there, done that!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tigerland!!! Been there, done that!

Vietnam was next for about 200 of 220 guys in my company. I traded my rifle for a typewriter and went to work in the supply room! Talk about getting a good roll. I scored number one on the tests they gave us and got offered an opportunity to go to West Point. NO LIE! I had to do one year of prep school first, then on to the Academy for four years and a six year commitment after graduation. No thanks I told them. I wanted to do my two years and get back to playing pool!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression he lived somewhere in Georgia in the late 80s and early 90s as he was at everything pro pool related in the Atlanta area during that time. Although he did not win any of the events he was still middle of the field. Not bad for a man of his age.
Here is an interesting piece of information:
http://www.azbilliards.com/people/14457-danny-jones/

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Vietnam was next for about 200 of 220 guys in my company. I traded my rifle for a typewriter and went to work in the supply room! Talk about getting a good roll. I scored number one on the tests they gave us and got offered an opportunity to go to West Point. NO LIE! I had to do one year of prep school first, then on to the Academy for four years and a six year commitment after graduation. No thanks I told them. I wanted to do my two years and get back to playing pool!

Don't blame you, Jay! I was there in 73, immediately after Nixon's pull-back policy went into effect. When I was at Ft Ord in Summer, Fall 72, my entire training battalion went straight from Ord to Ft Lewis to Nam. I had broken my foot in 4 places and had a cast on for 4 months so I stayed behind, luckily. By the time I got back into training, they had begun pulling forces out.

Last edited: