Pool ball Carrying Case Suggestions...

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have acquired a new set of Aramith Tournaments for my home table, so it now frees up the other set to travel with me. That may sound odd to some, but occasionally I find myself in situations that present a match but that also stick me with those low end balls that roll just horribly.

I don't have the box for the old set anymore, so I'm on the hunt for a carrying case. Figured a few here have had experience with such a thing.

Any suggestions....?..., or should I just go by the Amazon reviews..?

Thanks in advance

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a case from the UK. I think it’s called Johnny 8 Ball. I guess it’s for English 8 ball. There are 18 holes are for the balls and are small. Turns out the smaller holes are great because our pool balls sit up nicely. The case is also big enough to hold a rack. Same deal the triangle shape is to small for a normal rack. I took a razor knife to it and now my Elite rack fits nice and snug. I carry three different cue balls, a brush, chalk all in the case. I think it was $45 plus 40 for shipping. That was three years ago

Attachments

• 204753A0-FA73-4ADD-BF27-335978107EEC.jpeg
    204753A0-FA73-4ADD-BF27-335978107EEC.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got a cheap case. It has 17 or so holes for balls and a place for chalk and such. It is black canvas on the outside and foam on the inside. It's OK but the foam is starting to fall apart. It looks a lot like this:

CropperCapture[634].jpg

I also ended up with a snooker case that looks like this:
CropperCapture[637].jpg
It looks more durable but it hasn't had as much wear. This style is about twice as expensive.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the Aramith case........I did more than 10 yrs ago........works perfect and is durable.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Aramith case and the cheaper one that looks like it- the Aramith case is made better- I would invest on that one.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I have no recommendation for a case, just want to suggest whenever you bring your ball set to a table outside your home, check the pockets for anything that may cause damage.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, you must play on some really really crappy tables. I mean, I've seen some really bad tables, or seen some really badly kept balls, but it's been decades since I've seen anything where I'd seriously consider bringing my own set of balls. And I just simply never went back to any of those places.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Aramith case is worth the money. It has a well built carrying handle. It has room for an extra cue ball, and a bottle of ball cleaner. It also comes with a shoulder strap.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, you must play on some really really crappy tables. I mean, I've seen some really bad tables, or seen some really badly kept balls, but it's been decades since I've seen anything where I'd seriously consider bringing my own set of balls. And I just simply never went back to any of those places.

Where I usually play the balls are high quality and kept clean. The problem is that they are several years old and smaller than when new due to wear. I practice with my own new set and usually play league matches with their set.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

It's now a spare set, so why not?

I see it just about every time I go to the room, but with high end balls.

It's a players room and has well cared for equipment, but as a players room, the action easily exceeds the cost of a new set of Centennials.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It's a players room and has well cared for equipment, but as a players room, the action easily exceeds the cost of a new set of Centennials.

Exactly.... i had a match set up the other evening away from home in my opponents regular room. In this particular venue they have a limited set of quality balls and although I was assured we'd get one, we didn't.

I struggle greatly with cheap, light, inconsistent balls. I did manage to come out on top but the whole match was irritating because I could not play the game im used to. In the end my earnings nearly covered the new set for my table. The investment was minor to upgrade at home and now I can bring a quality set with me to unknown rooms. If the need be.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have acquired a new set of Aramith Tournaments for my home table, so it now frees up the other set to travel with me. That may sound odd to some, but occasionally I find myself in situations that present a match but that also stick me with those low end balls that roll just horribly.

I don't have the box for the old set anymore, so I'm on the hunt for a carrying case. Figured a few here have had experience with such a thing.

Any suggestions....?..., or should I just go by the Amazon reviews..?

Thanks in advance

I use an Army canvas tool bag.

In fact, I have two of them. They're sturdy, nice brass zipper, and two side pouches for other stuff. They come in green, black, and cami. Depending on where you buy them they go for $12-$20.

https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-mechanics-tool-bag

Lou Figueroa

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The Aramith case has been much improved over the years. I had a very early one, with flimsy foam inside, and it didn't last long. The current one has much firmer foam interior, better made.

Of course there are some custom ones out there as well.

All the best,
WW

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have no recommendation for a case, just want to suggest whenever you bring your ball set to a table outside your home, check the pockets for anything that may cause damage.

Thank you for this comment.... It made me realize what may have been causing minor damage to the older set of balls I have. Although I'm the second owner of my table and of course the balls that came with it. I know its history completely and the type of play is has endured. The older set does have some very minor light chipping. More of "not smooth" then damaged...

I'm wondering if the finishing nails used to fasten the pockets are the reason....? They are flat faced, and in tough to hit areas, but I can't think of another reason for the damage on the balls.

Until I sort out the mystery, the new set are being kept under lock and key. For now I'll just travel with the measles ball I picked up as well.

As far as the case recommendations go.... Looks like the soft Aramith case is the winner. I may need to figure out a way to keep a template in there as well.

Thanks all

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how many players here are buying ball cases to take them to the pool room for their personal usage? I’ve only seen it happen one time here in 25 years - about a month ago. We take a lot of pride in keeping our pool balls in excellent shape, as well as our house cues. Often players who come in here with their own cheaper two piece cues end up with our house cues in their hands.

We’re certainly not insulted by it, but I would think someone planning to do so who hasn’t been here before might check out the condition of our ball sets first before bringing in theirs. I’d think it would be embarrassing for them to discover ours are better quality and in better condition than theirs.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Just curious how many players here are buying ball cases to take them to the pool room for their personal usage? I’ve only seen it happen one time here in 25 years - about a month ago. We take a lot of pride in keeping our pool balls in excellent shape, as well as our house cues. Often players who come in here with their own cheaper two piece cues end up with our house cues in their hands.

We’re certainly not insulted by it, but I would think someone planning to do so who hasn’t been here before might check out the condition of our ball sets first before bringing in theirs. I’d think it would be embarrassing for them to discover ours are better quality and in better condition than theirs.

In my case (figuratively speaking), when I started the ball rolling on the match I played in the days following. I made it a point to find the hall we were to play in, as I had never laid eyes on it before. Figured I get a lay of the land, and a feel for the tables. Now I don't know how the rest of the pool halls on the continent are like, but around here not every owner likes the idea of spending >$300 on a set of balls for each table. ...especially the larger rooms. This one had maybe a 12-15 9ft and 6 snooker. The tables themselves were in great shape. However, I could not get anything better to use than the el'cheapy set that they throw in if you buy a table new.

Based on my homework, and the fact I did see some aramith balls being used while I was scoping the place out. I made it a point to follow up with my opponent and ensure he could indeed secure us a decent set of balls.

It's a complete failing on my part, but I play with a lot of spin. I tend to throw shots a fair bit, alter vertical cue angle to induce additional 'slide' (if you will), and usually opt to follow through then use draw for shape. When I play with a light cue ball, it causes me fits... Beyond that, I find no amount of additional power will make for a decent break with cheap balls. They simply don't react as they 'should'. Ya ya I know... everyone else never seems to have a problem, so it's obviously something wrong with my game/ability.

So on the night of the match, before we started I pointed out the balls we had were 'lack luster'. He tried to accommodate me, but we had no options. I suffered, I was annoyed but hey it's only a game right...lol.

Now does my lesson learnt mean I'm going to walk into every pool hall with my own set of balls...?..., no. My home room has about 15 9fters and nearly all the balls are on the good end. However if I'm going to travel to a foreign location to gamble. Wherein I have zero control as to what I'll be playing with. You can bet I'm going to be prepared moving forward. I look around rooms these days and seen countless players with CF shafts at >$500cdn. None of these shafts make any of these players better. Now you give me a good set of $300cdn aramith balls over some el'cheapies, and I'll show you what a difference it can make...lol

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this case for convenience? Show?

I just put mine in the box the few times I’ve taken them anywhere ...maybe a dozen times, if that, over 50 years. If I didn’t have the box And took them everywhere, then I’d get a camera case for $5 from the thrift store. I’m not using the case to bang in nails or demolition. The balls get a hundred times more trauma against each other every day in my home table...and are fine. They are not eggs.

I use the balls wherever we play. Nearly always in good condition. If per chance they weren’t ‘perfect’, then it’s part of the challenge just like a table. It’s good to learn to play with different ball sets and a variety of table conditions.