Jeanette Lee & Follow Through

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reading in a Billiards Digest from July 2007 where Jeanette Lee said you should have a follow through of 12 to 18 inches.

Seriously? Or did I read that wrong?

r/Mike

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I was reading in a Billiards Digest from July 2007 where Jeanette Lee said you should have a follow through of 12 to 18 inches.

Seriously? Or did I read that wrong?

r/Mike

Is this on the break or in general? I looked up a match of hers and she didn't follow through much, maybe a couple inches in that particular match (at least from what I watched). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r9Zgcj14aM

Follow through is essentially about timing and allowing the cue to come to a natural finish so you aren't decelerating into the ball. 12-18 inches artificially extends the follow through and does nothing for you.

I'd say on most shots I'm about 2-4 inches, and power shots maybe 4-6 inches. I haven't measured so I'm guessing.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this on the break or in general? I looked up a match of hers and she didn't follow through much, maybe a couple inches in that particular match (at least from what I watched). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r9Zgcj14aM

Follow through is essentially about timing and allowing the cue to come to a natural finish so you aren't decelerating into the ball. 12-18 inches artificially extends the follow through and does nothing for you.

I'd say on most shots I'm about 2-4 inches, and power shots maybe 4-6 inches. I haven't measured so I'm guessing.

This is key. Like the most important part, and it can differ from person to person.

I just recorded a video of myself on the kitchen table with a ruler. I used two different grip positions/bridge lengths, and both times my follow through was about 6.25"

For me, my natural finish is when my grip hand goes slightly past my chest (doesn't hit my chest). It's just a natural motion of the arm closing as much as it can. If I don't close it enough, my stroke feels jerky and if I follow past the natural finish it goes off line. I would classify my stroke as a J-Stroke (Pendulum with Elbow Drop after Contact).

And in the few minutes it took to type all that my video is uploaded.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But to answer the OP's question, I have to imagine Jeanette may have been talking about the break. I can't see her (or anyone) saying you should follow through 12 to 18 inches on a normal shot.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just went and looked. Billiards Digest, June 2007, page 16, down at the bottom. She says 12-18 inches on every shot.

No wonder she wasn't getting much business on that Jeanette Lee Experience adventure of hers.

r/Mike

Maybe it was a typo or she misspoke. I dont' think Sigel who has one of the biggest elbow drops in the game had a follow through that long.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolplayers, even pros, CAN learn something new...if you have an open mind. Since that article was published, Jeanette has spent considerable time with Jerry Briesath, and now shoots with a pretty smooth finish juat a few inches past the CB. If you watch her newest video, she comments about the finish, and how an extended finish isn't needed or required.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I just went and looked. Billiards Digest, June 2007, page 16, down at the bottom. She says 12-18 inches on every shot.

No wonder she wasn't getting much business on that Jeanette Lee Experience adventure of hers.

r/Mike

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolplayers, even pros, CAN learn something new...if you have an open mind. Since that article was published, Jeanette has spent considerable time with Jerry Briesath, and now shoots with a pretty smooth finish juat a few inches past the CB. If you watch her newest video, she comments about the finish, and how an extended finish isn't needed or required.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

For those interested, I believe this is the video Scott is referencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_DvTmCJfM

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those interested, I believe this is the video Scott is referencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_DvTmCJfM

Thanks for the link. It has been bookmarked.

One of the things she mentions in this video is when she was not hitting the balls well she didn't know what to fix.

Learning the correct fundamentals and being able to repeat them for this game is a long process. That's why conscious effort must be made during practice sessions to perfect each part of the fundamentals until they become automatic and are no longer given any conscious thought. The nice thing about this is when your game is off you can recognize what needs to be fixed.

What I do is practice my fundamentals consciously about 10 hours a week. On Fridays I meet with a friend to play for about four hours not giving any conscious thought to anything accept put the ball in the whole and put the QB there. Its like shooting pool with your sub-conscious.

If I should have a break down in my fundamentals during play. I now know what I need to focus on during practice.

Back on topic. To me the follow thru and power is a feel thing depending on the shot, it could be anywhere from 1" to 12". I always finish and try to use the same cue stick speed. This has me changing my grip placement on the cue for just about every shot and still come to the same finish point.

Have fun out there.

John

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BUMPING!

ATTENTION: THIS THREAD IS FROM AROUND MAY OF 2016!

Anyway, there's a nice video of Jeanette Lee talking about the stroke so I thought I would bump in case anyone might be interested in watching it.

r/DCP

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. It has been bookmarked.

One of the things she mentions in this video is when she was not hitting the balls well she didn't know what to fix.

Learning the correct fundamentals and being able to repeat them for this game is a long process. That's why conscious effort must be made during practice sessions to perfect each part of the fundamentals until they become automatic and are no longer given any conscious thought. The nice thing about this is when your game is off you can recognize what needs to be fixed.

What I do is practice my fundamentals consciously about 10 hours a week. On Fridays I meet with a friend to play for about four hours not giving any conscious thought to anything accept put the ball in the whole and put the QB there. Its like shooting pool with your sub-conscious.

If I should have a break down in my fundamentals during play. I now know what I need to focus on during practice.

Back on topic. To me the follow thru and power is a feel thing depending on the shot, it could be anywhere from 1" to 12". I always finish and try to use the same cue stick speed. This has me changing my grip placement on the cue for just about every shot and still come to the same finish point.

Have fun out there.

John

One thing it took me years to understand was how to handle a mistake. Our mind is amazing and dogged in pursuit of answers. The trick is not just asking the right questions but avoiding asking the wrong ones. If you ask yourself “how did I miss that shot? Or, what did I do wrong?”, the mind generates possible answers. In other words it imagines ways to miss the shot and get the imperfect result. That process is a type of mental rehearsal of failures. The trick is to use the natural tendency to answer questions creatively. So far I think a question like
what does this shot look like when it’s executed correctly?
Imagine good players executing it as it should be played.
which good player’s style best suits how you play?
Or what if you were asked to be a pool movie extra and all you have to do is execute this shot emulating how ......(great player) would shoot the shot.
How would you shoot the shot, as a movie stand in?
Generating multiple ways of getting a particular positive result is a result of asking right questions.

Another fundamental when playing is about controlling your focus. During competition your focus should be outward towards achieving a result, never inward on technique. Asking what is the functional intent of a session? is another way to harness questions. That sets goals and criteria for evaluating outcomes of a practice session for example. That is when you might work on technique. With the inward focus involved in that process, missed pots are inconsequential. The function is to improve the technique not the pocketing of balls.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Physics and logic tell us to not force the length of the follow-through.

An overly short follow-through would tell us something, though, and the old rule of "about as long as the backstroke was" is good for a lot of shots.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jon...The truth is that interview was done before Jeanette spent a significant amount of time with Jerry Briesath reworking her fundamentals and pool physics knowledge. Now she teaches the same kind of natural pendulum finish that we do. Extended followthrough, on the break or any other shot does nothing to add to the accuracy or repeatability of a stroke...and in fact makes it more difficut to be accurate and repeatable. There should be no more followthrough on the break, than there is on a lag...no less either! Cue weight and timing are all that's necessary. On the break, the dwell time between tip and CB is still 1/1000th of a second! DCP is, once again, just trying to stir the pot...:confused: Surprised? Hardly...

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

But to answer the OP's question, I have to imagine Jeanette may have been talking about the break. I can't see her (or anyone) saying you should follow through 12 to 18 inches on a normal shot.