Home table/room size advice

wafflemaker

Registered
I know there are tons of articles about sizes needed but I'd love to hear advice from people that actually play. It's a huge investment for me (a new player) and I dont want to make the wrong decision.

Basically my room is 202 inches long, I'm between a 7 or 8 ft table. Would you rather play with 58" cues on a 7 ft or have to use 52" for most head shots on a 8 foot?

I'd love to hear feedback, sorry to post about a played out topic. I havent found much advice in terms of whether people prefer larger tables vs smaller cues.

Thanks

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any table is better than no table, in general.

Besides room for your cue stick, you also need room for your back foot. Depending on your height and stance, your back foot might be significantly further rearward than the end of the stick. I’m 6-2, and my rear foot is about 1 foot behind the end of the stick.

If you go with a table that is 40” x 80” cushion nose to cushion nose, you will have (202-80-58-58) / 2 = 3” to pull the stick back and put your foot further from the end of the stick.

Unless you are really tall, that should work pretty well and be comfortable for almost all shots.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PS, welcome to the forum.

Also, is budget a big factor? If so, have you considered getting a used table? You can get a used commercial "bar" table for about 1500 delivered and set up, if you live in the South East. That will be much more solid than a new "furniture" style table. That would play the best if you become serious about pool.

If you just want as cheap as possible, look on Craigslist daily. You will find in short time a table for free or a couple hundred. People buy them, never play pool, and then 10 years later want them out of the house for free to get rid of them.

At the top of the heap for 7' tables is Diamond. They are about 6500 new delivered and installed. If you can find a used one, they are probably in the 3k range used.

wafflemaker

Registered
Thanks for response, that makes sense. I definitely want adequate room to play and dont want to regret the wrong table. The table I'm looking at now is 38x78 so I'm leaning towards it so that I have adequate room and just forget about the 8ft.

I appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wafflemaker

Registered
PS, welcome to the forum.

Also, is budget a big factor? If so, have you considered getting a used table? You can get a used commercial "bar" table for about 1500 delivered and set up, if you live in the South East. That will be much more solid than a new "furniture" style table. That would play the best if you become serious about pool.

If you just want as cheap as possible, look on Craigslist daily. You will find in short time a table for free or a couple hundred. People buy them, never play pool, and then 10 years later want them out of the house for free to get rid of them.

At the top of the heap for 7' tables is Diamond. They are about 6500 new delivered and installed. If you can find a used one, they are probably in the 3k range used.
Budget is a factor, but I'm not against buying used. I'm trying to shop whatever deals I can find, ideally I would like to be installed for less then 3k but I'm finding with a used table I may be able to go even lower.

I will admit my wife prefers the look of a more furniture driven table so that will play some role. Considering a table like the presidential Madison, but I'm no expert on tables.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes used will be cheaper. But new will be less hassle if you go with a reputable dealer. Used you will have to find a mechanic to transport the table and set it up for you as well.

Don't neglect the cloth or the balls. They will really improve your experience, even if the table is not of professional caliber.

The best balls are Aramith brand, and Cyclop brand. They range new from about 150 to 300. Even the 150 set will be super super nice, and better than what most of the billiard stores will include in their "package deal".

For the cloth, its worth the upcharge to get worsted wool. The top of the line is Simonis 860 its called. That might be a 200 or so upcharge to the standard cloth.

With a really nice ball and cloth combination, the balls will roll truer when struck, roll further, and it will be much easier to put spin on the balls. All of that will improve how fun the game will be for you.

A lot of the cheap ball sets are mismatched in size and weight (even brand new), and that makes it frustrating to play with. For example, drawing the cue ball backwards when the cue balls is heaver is no fun, even for an advanced player. It is common to have a heavier cue ball on the cheaper balls sets.

wafflemaker

Registered
Thanks I appreciate the feedback. The dealer I was planning to go to uses proline cloth at no cost but offers several upgrades. Great to know that these would be worth while.

Very helpful information for somone new to owning a pool table.