Reload this Page Ball Cleaning Questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Ball Cleaning Questions
Old
  (#1)
Mosens
AzB Silver Member
Mosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond reputeMosens has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Ball Cleaning Questions - 04-06-2020, 06:26 AM

Doing some research and would appreciate your input if you have a home table.....

1) How frequently do you clean your balls?
2) What cleaning/polishing products do you use?
3) What cleaning/polishing machine do you use (or by hand)?
4) If using a machine, are you happy with it (why/why not)?
5) If cleaning by hand, would you consider buying a machine (and which one)?
- BallStar
- Diamond
- Bludworth
- Porper
- other

Thanks

Last edited by Mosens; 04-06-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Welder84
AzB Silver Member
Welder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 06:55 AM

I try to copy the conditions where I compete. I used to play at poolrooms that would clean all the balls every morning. Now I play in rooms (including my own) where you might not see clean balls but on occasion. Total personal preference. Practice like you play might be good advice. As far as ball polishers go if you are on a budget watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkAV...oC88qSkQDk4Mvw. Yes you can make a ball polisher or buy the best out there most likely the Diamond machine. Happy days!

Last edited by Welder84; 04-06-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Old
  (#3)
haystj
Timothy J Hays
haystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 07:10 AM

When they are dirty, lost the shine
Aramith ball cleaner
Diamond Ball Machine
Very, almost impossible to get the high gloss shine by hand achieved with the machine. (at least in a reasonable time frame)
I still clean by hand but polish with the machine

Old
  (#4)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

04-06-2020, 07:11 AM

I use a homemade 5 gallon bucket polisher using a 10" random orbital automotive buffer with Le Manifik Ball cleaner from Tiger Products. I'm pleased with the results and generally clean the balls and vacuum the table every 3rd or 4th use.

Here's mine:

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#5)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-06-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosens View Post
Doing some research and would appreciate your input if you have a home table.....

when they get dirty
maguire detail
bludworth
yes yes yes yes yes
- BallStar
- Diamond
- Bludworth
- Porper
- other

Thanks
hope this helps

Old
  (#6)
Agile
AzB Bronze Member
Agile is on a distinguished road

04-06-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosens View Post

- BallStar
- Diamond
- Bludworth
- Porper
- other

Thanks
I clean balls and table at least once a week. I use a. Ballstar and I noticed that not only is it very fast, but the balls come out clean and very polished. I can notice how slippery they are as I get really great backspin with no effort. I suspect that the pros play with newly polished balls all the time. BTW, the Ballstar recommendation is that the polishing only lasts 1.5 hours. I find that to be pretty accurate. I use the Tournament Aramith to prevent burn spots although they are nearly impossible to prevent.

The table gets cleaned with the Simonis X1 which does a great job. Then I will occasionally use a non rotating vacuum to get the chalk up, then a brush lightly to smooth everything out. Simonis 860. I used a rotating vacuum once and noticed that a lot of the wool fibers were in the trash. Pretty much not recommended.

I should mention that the balls come out warm so the Ballstar does add some friction from rotation. they really get moving in there and they do spiral nicely so everything gets cleaned. Also, I have been using some other cue balls instead of the Tournament one and I think they leave burn marks that the Tournament does not. One was a measles ball and the other a training ball so I will default to the Tournament ball in the future.

The Tournament balls are supposed to be much better and reducing burn marks. I thought, hey, I will probably only buy one set of balls so why not the best?

Also, one thing I like about the Ballstar is that they have their own cleaning and polishing solution. You have to shake it before using to get the cleaning stuff from settling to the bottom. I have to say, the ball come out looking fantastic, but of course they are the Tournament version....

Last edited by Agile; 04-06-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Old
  (#7)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
... BTW, the Ballstar recommendation is that the polishing only lasts 1.5 hours. ,,,
minutes?

Old
  (#8)
Agile
AzB Bronze Member

04-06-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
minutes?
No. The slick polish on the balls especially the cue ball only lasts 1.5 hours of play.

Old
  (#9)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-06-2020, 12:53 PM

When they are dirty, lost the shine
Aramith ball cleaner
Diamond Ball Machine
Very, almost impossible to get the high gloss shine by hand achieved with the machine. (at least in a reasonable time frame)
I have 3 sets of premium balls, no way am I going to clean all of those by hand, thats why I bought the Diamond.

****special thanks to haystj.

Old
  (#10)
Agile
AzB Bronze Member

04-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Agreed. I used to polish balls By hand but it took forever to both clean and polish. Well, maybe 45 min. After getting the Ballstar I would never hand polish ever. Itís does far better than anyone could. While it is polishing you get to clean the table. I also use three cue balls so by the time they wear off the polish itís time to clean again.

Old
  (#11)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

04-06-2020, 01:30 PM

When they lose their shine

Aramith Ball Cleaner

Custom-made

Very. It does everything I need it to, and it matches my furniture since I made it myself.

I do clean individual balls by hand like the cue balls as they pick up chalk, If I had to do it again, I would still make my own although with an upgraded platter, motor, and have a sprocket 3-D printed.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Last edited by Ghosst; 04-06-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Old
  (#12)
Agile
AzB Bronze Member

04-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I clean balls and table at least once a week. I use a. Ballstar and I noticed that not only is it very fast, but the balls come out clean and very polished. I can notice how slippery they are as I get really great backspin with no effort. I suspect that the pros play with newly polished balls all the time. BTW, the Ballstar recommendation is that the polishing only lasts 1.5 hours. I find that to be pretty accurate. I use the Tournament Aramith to prevent burn spots although they are nearly impossible to prevent.

The table gets cleaned with the Simonis X1 which does a great job. Then I will occasionally use a non rotating vacuum to get the chalk up, then a brush lightly to smooth everything out. Simonis 860. I used a rotating vacuum once and noticed that a lot of the wool fibers were in the trash. Pretty much not recommended.

I should mention that the balls come out warm so the Ballstar does add some friction from rotation. they really get moving in there and they do spiral nicely so everything gets cleaned. Also, I have been using some other cue balls instead of the Tournament one and I think they leave burn marks that the Tournament does not. One was a measles ball and the other a training ball so I will default to the Tournament ball in the future.

The Tournament balls are supposed to be much better and reducing burn marks. I thought, hey, I will probably only buy one set of balls so why not the best?

Also, one thing I like about the Ballstar is that they have their own cleaning and polishing solution. You have to shake it before using to get the cleaning stuff from settling to the bottom. I have to say, the ball come out looking fantastic, but of course they are the Tournament version....
Note: Just cleaned the table today. With the Simonis 860, Ballstar, Simonis X1, non rotating vacuum, Tournament Arimith and a damp wipe with a cloth I have no burn marks after 6 months of daily play. I do use a break cloth.

Old
  (#13)
j13smiley
AzB Silver Member
j13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 07:10 PM

When they get dirty. Home made polisher.

Old
  (#14)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Note: Just cleaned the table today. With the Simonis 860, Ballstar, Simonis X1, non rotating vacuum, Tournament Arimith and a damp wipe with a cloth I have no burn marks after 6 months of daily play. I do use a break cloth.
Simonis 860 HR ?

Old
  (#15)
Agile
AzB Bronze Member

04-06-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Simonis 860 HR ?
Nope. Regular 860.