Valhalla for teen beginner???

WireNut

Hello,

First thanks for adding me.

Looking at getting a cue for my 15 y/o nephew who's just learning the game and been playing a lot with his pals at our community center. The 'house cues' there have definitely seen better days.

My Dad owned a bar when I was younger and I played a lot back then. Never seem to have a place or the time much since, along with a bum knee.
A family friend gave me a 2pc dufferin back then (since long gone) and the consistency of shooting the same cue all the time seemed to really improve my game, which also seems to be long gone ;-)

So I'd like to get my Nephew his own cue for his birthday next month. He's not one for starting and stopping hobbies, and I think he'll keep advancing like he does at everything he puts his mind to.

Plus I'm glad to see the youngsters playing something other than xbox.

A friend of his has a Valhalla, and my nephew seems to like it, as he's been hinting at his folks about one in basic black with the linen wrap. Yeah he's a pretty simple kid, his first quality guitar when given an almost sky's the limit budget was the same pick ...black on black Schecter.

Anyhow, I've got a few buddies that play on leagues, and they think the Valhalla would be a good starter, but none have ever actually shot one.

I've scoured youtube, read just about every post on here and a few others, just not seeing a whole lot either way good or bad, and nothing at all very recent.

Surprising since they've been out for a while now, and people seem to be more than eager to review and opine on everything imaginable.

I know they're an import which I'm not thrilled by, but otherwise it sounds like a pretty good cue for the money, warranty, and not knowing if he'll actually continue getting more serious about the game.

I'm tight on cash right now too, so figuring a decent case and the misc etceteras (scuffer, tip pick, burnish pad, chalk, what have you) the valhalla is right in the budget. All the used cues people I know are selling are $250 and up.

I understand the basic when it comes to cues, but far from an expert; and I'd like to get him what he wants.

I'd just like to hear from some folks that have actually owned/played the valhalla.

Opinion of / if anyone knows what this "premium leather tip" viking advertises (layered, pressed, hardness, etc.) and best way to maintain it so it lasts a while)?

The cuetec bowtie looks like a good overall tool.

And how these cues are holding up after a while down the road overall?

I figure if he keeps playing, could always upgrade the shaft (seems a common thread pattern) since he's not after a flashy butt, and can adjust the weight.

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Bob

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of those situations, where you ask 100 people this question, you are likely to get 100 different answers.

I personally would go with something more along this line.
https://www.pooldawg.com/product/pooldawg-cue-case-and-chalk-bundle

Then a year down the road, if he is still into pool, look at upgrading to a low cost custom like a Schmelke etc, or whatever he might like at that point if he has had the opportunity to try out other cues.

Hope this helps.

WireNut

Thanks Chuck, I'll check that out. Still would like to get some feedback on the Valhalla too though

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I bought a valhalla and the shaft warped bad within the first two weeks. I would get him a Schmelke.

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Valhalla VA702 and absolutely love it. AND, the shaft is not warped on mine. I certainly would recommend it.

WireNut

So what would cause a shaft to warp so soon after purchase?
I have to think they're sitting in inventory for a while before sale.
It's always been my understanding that temperature / humidity is the biggest cause, aside from leaving them leaning against a wall for long periods.

I'm trying to not let my nephew know what I'm up to, but it dounds like his friend has had his for over a year without issue.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still trying to decide.
One step closer, a friend has a pretty nice 1x1 hard case to donate for him. Loosens up the cue budget a bit.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what would cause a shaft to warp so soon after purchase?
I have to think they're sitting in inventory for a while before sale.
It's always been my understanding that temperature / humidity is the biggest cause, aside from leaving them leaning against a wall for long periods.

I'm trying to not let my nephew know what I'm up to, but it dounds like his friend has had his for over a year without issue.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still trying to decide.
One step closer, a friend has a pretty nice 1x1 hard case to donate for him. Loosens up the cue budget a bit.

shafts warping or not warping are a bit of a crap shoot.
a lot of factors involved.
buy a Schmelke and if there is a problem with it they are only a phone call away right here in the States.

Last edited: