Straight pool tournaments

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Does anyone know of any straight pool tournaments in Missouri? Around St.Louis possibly. I live in north east missouri about 90 miles north of st. louis. I didn't really want to drive more than 2 hours to find a tournament but I will if I have to!
I don't really expect to win but I have got my straight pool game to a level where I feel I can at least compete.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Does anyone know of any straight pool tournaments in Missouri? Around St.Louis possibly. I live in north east missouri about 90 miles north of st. louis. I didn't really want to drive more than 2 hours to find a tournament but I will if I have to!
I don't really expect to win but I have got my straight pool game to a level where I feel I can at least compete.

HeHe,

enjoy to hear, that you practiced a lot my friend :)
let me know how your *first tournaments* ended finally.
Have a smooth stroke,

lg
Ingo

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
HeHe,

enjoy to hear, that you practiced a lot my friend :)
let me know how your *first tournaments* ended finally.
Have a smooth stroke,

lg
Ingo

I will! I am hoping I at least make it to somewhere in the middle of the field. But even if I don't the experience will be worth it. Do bad we dont all live a little closer, it would be a lot of fun playing against some of you guys.

I think I need to just get on the phone and start calling up some pool halls to find out where the 14.1 tourny action is.

nashville14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 in MO try Mark Wilson

See if you can find Mark Wilson in St. Louis. He is a real gentleman, a great sportsman, a fine player and great pool instructor. Maybe he runs a pr there now . He taught me some about 14.1 back in the 80s when he was a house pro here in Nashville. I was not a great student. I thought I was doing ok when I made my highest run ever in a game. That was a lowly 39 against Mark. I was pretty proud until I left him a shot and he made a run of 176. Maybe his high run back at that time. Anyway Mark will likely know what 14.1 is happening in MO. Tell him he still has a few fans in gnashville from the old days.
jerry

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

We are going to have an open straight pool tournament at Red Shoes on October 27. Double elimination. Race to 100. Chicago, quite a drive, but ....

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
St. Louis, MO is not the place to come for any kind of a pool tournament.

If you would like to match up and play one pocket on trap tables with less than the greatest people, St. Louis may be the place for you. Outside of this, I would say skip St. Louis on your way to almost anywhere, like Cuba.

kollegedave

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
See if you can find Mark Wilson in St. Louis. He is a real gentleman, a great sportsman, a fine player and great pool instructor. Maybe he runs a pr there now . He taught me some about 14.1 back in the 80s when he was a house pro here in Nashville. I was not a great student. I thought I was doing ok when I made my highest run ever in a game. That was a lowly 39 against Mark. I was pretty proud until I left him a shot and he made a run of 176. Maybe his high run back at that time. Anyway Mark will likely know what 14.1 is happening in MO. Tell him he still has a few fans in gnashville from the old days.
jerry

Thanks, I talk to Mark every now and then. I plan on taking some more lessons from him in the near future. He's a great guy. I will pass on the message.:thumbup:

As far as I know he is still playing out of Cue and Cushion.

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
We are going to have an open straight pool tournament at Red Shoes on October 27. Double elimination. Race to 100. Chicago, quite a drive, but ....

I would love to, in fact if I can talk my wife into it again I will be there. Maybe I can get the beard on the table for a few!

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
St. Louis, MO is not the place to come for any kind of a pool tournament.

If you would like to match up and play one pocket on trap tables with less than the greatest people, St. Louis may be the place for you. Outside of this, I would say skip St. Louis on your way to almost anywhere, like Cuba.

kollegedave

Sounds like you have had some bad experiences in St. Louis. I go there quite a bit and have always had a good time. I have played in several 9 ball tournaments in that area and never had anything really bad happen. Just like any other pool hall in a big city across the USA, you have to be on your toes but for the most part the people are the same, some good some bad. (in my experience anyway)

But I will keep an eye out for the gaffed tables! ;)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I would love to, in fact if I can talk my wife into it again I will be there. Maybe I can get the beard on the table for a few!

The beard does not play much straight pool but he is there a lot.

A guy who pals around with Mark Wilson is planning to come up north that weekend, visit Sailor Stellman in Racine, Wisconsin, who Mark trained with when he was younger, and then come to our tournament. Not sure if Mark is going to be with him or not.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
The beard does not play much straight pool but he is there a lot.

A guy who pals around with Mark Wilson is planning to come up north that weekend, visit Sailor Stellman in Racine, Wisconsin, who Mark trained with when he was younger, and then come to our tournament. Not sure if Mark is going to be with him or not.

Dennis, I just got done watching your 57 ball run. Nice job! That 2 ball at the end made it tuff. I need to get some video of my attempts at a high run.