John Schmidt at BullShooters

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crap. He just miscued at around 360. But I'm not sure I was watching the current run.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmiidt began his quest to beat Mosconi's record yesterday at BullShooters in Phoenix. His first attempt was 179. For the day he had 4 runs over 100 and finished the day with a lofty run of 384 that featured a few amazing shots to keep the run alive.

He continues today at noon Az time. There is some streaming on facebook ( idon't know the link). He will play Sunday through Thursday 12-6 until April 16. Come on down and support John in his lifelong dream, you won't be disappointed.

Wow what focus he has . That's grinding it out . Good luck John and way to show pool players how hard work pays off 👍🏻

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
John understands the game the same way a 1pckt player understands that game.

He is a dog playing the top 200 players in the world 9/10 ball, but his understanding of the game makes him a favorite over all of them in straight pool - this is the one thing Fargorate cannot compensate for.

If JS wants to play every player from the top 300 fr straight pool, I'll take him every match but we have to bet them all.
Jason<-----will do $5,000/match but you must bet them all.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John understands the game the same way a 1pckt player understands that game.

He is a dog playing the top 200 players in the world 9/10 ball, but his understanding of the game makes him a favorite over all of them in straight pool - this is the one thing Fargorate cannot compensate for.

If JS wants to play every player from the top 300 fr straight pool, I'll take him every match but we have to bet them all.
Jason<-----will do $5,000/match but you must bet them all.

So you want to bet $1.5M on JS?
I’m confused.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you want to bet $1.5M on JS?
I’m confused.

Oh no your math is correct. However saying you will bet 5K per match but someone would have to bet on all the matches with JS against the top 300 players in straight pool in order to do it is a ridiculous statement. No one here will take that and making all three hundred matches happen is impossible. It probably sounded good to him when he typed it out though:grin:

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a lot of top speed players don't try high runs except for at the dcc. i think hohmann usually stops at 200

so it's hard to tell if they are more qualified for or likely to beat the record than js. i would guess some of them are

kudos to john for giving it a go though, i think it's admirable

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Js@527+

Sorry to criticize the stream yesterday.
Cheers to bullshooters and john and
Everyone involved. I just feel such an
Historic moment should have an
Excellent HD record, much like his
Recent run @434 on 3dec2018

But didn’t he grab the cueball as it
Went into the pocket? Isn’t that a foul?

Go john! You will fulfill this quest.
And it’ll turn out to be like the rocket
Ronnie O’Sullivan @1000 centuries.
The first person to break the barrier
Is a genius, and then many people will
Do it eventually!

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No he is not

This is why pro’s don’t get on here.. lol douche bags like this say someone isn’t a top player who has ran over 400 balls multiple times and I don’t even know how many titles. What have you won? Can you even run 50 balls playing straights?

John is a hell of a nice guy and I wish him the best. I hope he takes it down this time.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many 400-ball runs do those players have?

How much straight pool have they played compared to John? They all have more 200+ ball runs per attempt than him IMO.You can probably throw Alex in there also who beat John 2 nights in a row to 3 or400 when John was in his prime. JMHO.

Last edited:

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much straight pool have they played compared to John? They all have more 200+ ball runs per attempt than him IMO.You can probably throw Alex in there also who beat John 2 nights in a row to 3 or400 when John was in his prime. JMHO.

John doesn’t play 14.1 as much as you think

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve wrote this a few times before.... but from the 60’s through the 70’s and into the 80’s straight pool was still played by all the pros extensively. I’d be very surprised if they all didn’t go for high runs in practice on a semi regular basis. The closest in the modern era is Engert's 491 or so. Then we have Strickland and I believe Hopkins both in the low 400's. Sigel was in the 300's. And a bunch of other pros are in the 300's. The owner of my local room, Bob Maidoff, ran his lifetime high of 330 something about 5 years ago, well into his 50's. And he was practicing straight pool every day for decades. I guess its one of those things that even for top players (Sigel level), its a once in lifetime thing to get over 300 or 400. Now we have Schmidt who has done it 4 times, and knocking on the door again.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John doesn’t play 14.1 as much as you think

Really, You know what i think? I've seen him play in person MANY times starting in 2004 or so when he came thru Florida (with his mentor BOBBY HUNTER -straight pool World Champ) as 'JJ' changing hair colors every few weeks til he couldnt get away with it anymore. He practices by playing SP and it is the game he prefers. He may not play ANY game much anymore but i guarantee he has 5 times the amount of hours playing SP as the players i listed COMBINED,

I also know he has quit 3 tournament matches before the outcome was determined, (no NOT in the last rack) including once in the World Pool Championship Vs Marcus Chamat when MC pulled a real low life move (I forget the specifics) but remember i may have quit also.I know him or of him well-have had him in Calcuttas etc so save it.

Last edited: